By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario 3D World First Week Predictions! (Give A Seperate Answer for US/Japan/Europe)

the_dengle said:

There's a reason I didn't suggest X or Bayonetta 2 for the chart.

I wasn't aware it mattered what you thought, I was under the impression the chart was supposed to be mocking Nintendo fans for thinking there was any hope left. The problem is that the joke falls flat when absurd things like launch titles, the virtual console, and niche games are included. By comparison, Zelda (no matter when it comes) is far more appropriate.

The joke is more about what we heard will save the WiiU - not what we think will save it.

If someone were to suggest other titles, including them into the list is fine - moving the goalpost makes it funnier.

Around the Network
Crazy_O said:

The joke is more about what we heard will save the WiiU - not what we think will save it.

If someone were to suggest other titles, including them into the list is fine - moving the goalpost makes it funnier.

Please show me where you heard that games that came out before the Wii U needed saving would save the Wii U. And the virtual console and The Wonderful 101, as well.

Again, it's not funny if it's just a bunch of stuff someone made up. Might as well add Shovel Knight and Spike's VGX to the list for all the sense it makes.

the_dengle said:

Please show me where you heard that games that came out before the Wii U needed saving would save the Wii U. And the virtual console and The Wonderful 101, as well.

Again, it's not funny if it's just a bunch of stuff someone made up. Might as well add Shovel Knight and Spike's VGX to the list for all the sense it makes.

It actually isn't funny - I hope that something saves the console, it would be bad for all of us with less competition.

What is funny are the people who claimed title x will save the console and there were plenty of those. I'm new here, so I don't know if it was the same but on another popular gaming forum it was pretty hilarious, but also sad.

Mario games normally have strong legs. Even on WiiU. SNMBU still figures among the 15 best sellers more than a year after its original launch (currently n. 13), although probably the bundles are helping.

What really doesn´t make sense to me is: why Nintendo doesn´t drop the price of the WiiU in Japan as it did in the West ? That surely would help.

Well most people here were on the right ballpark for their prediction for japan, let see the sales for NA and EU

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:
Mario games normally have strong legs. Even on WiiU. SNMBU still figures among the 15 best sellers more than a year after its original launch (currently n. 13), although probably the bundles are helping.

What really doesn´t make sense to me is: why Nintendo doesn´t drop the price of the WiiU in Japan as it did in the West ? That surely would help.

The disappointment with Mario sales is in comparison to other 3D Mario games.  Having strong legs only makes a difference if they are as strong or stronger than those titles.  Also the bundles are the only reason NSMBU is in the top 15, before it was hanging around outside the top 50.  NSMB2 had been roughly doubling NSMBU all year before the bundles and has been in the 3k range these past few weeks.  That kind of ties back to my first point.  In general, that would be good legs for Japan, but being a Mario game it'll be compared to Mario games.  NSMB DS didn't drop below 20k for a year and didn't see sustained sales as low as NSMB2 until 2009.

The falling yen has made a western price drop more  feasible than a price drop in Japan.  At $350 a year ago, the Wii U was bringing in 28,700 yen.  Today at $300 it is 30,600 yen.k  By the same token if they are manufacturing Wii U's outside of Japan it will cost more Yen than it did a year ago.

Rogerioandrade said:

My theory about that is this:

Christmas isn't as big in japan as it is elsewhere, so while the price drop came in time for the holiday season in the West, it wouldn't have a much of an impact in japan. Additionally, 3D mario has never been extremely popular in japan. As I said before, SMG and SMG2 only boosted hardware sales 25% and 15% respectively the week they were released. Like with 3DS, the key to a sales boost isn't simply a price drop, its a price drop with tempo into hardware boosting games. Because of this, I think nintendo will drop the price of the Wii U in time for Golden Week and Mario Kart (with smash bros a few months away too). This would give the Wii U more tempo than x-mas+3D mario would and that is why I think Nintendo is waiting. 

Anyone have thoughts on this?

magoghm said:
Incubi said:

Japan sales in. WiiU: 21000. SM3D World lowest debuting Mario game in the modern era. It prolly is over. Taiko no Tetsujin bombs.

The end.

Were the first week sales of the other Mario games also for just one day of the week?

As akways. its just 1 day. Why do people keep saying that a bomba is not a bomba because it only had 1 day to sell? All games have only 1 day in Japan.

Crazy_O said:

Then the list should only have Pikmin 3, price drop, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart and firing Iwata.

The rest were not bandied around as system saviours as the chart suggests they was.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

This doom crap from people is making me laugh. Nintendo will be fine and Mario will sell great.