By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the negativity towards Kinect is nothing more than paranoid, idiot logic.

The tech behind it has yet to be mastered and there is literally no good, groundbreaking Kinect exclusive title.

The idea behind Kinect isnt bad, its the execution. Dance games sell well on Kinect because that genre works well with waving your arms around and moving on the spot. Anything that requires a good degree of accuracy or quick reactions though... Buttons and sticks are simply better.

Game enhancer, not a game changer.

Around the Network

John Carmack said it best: "Kinect is sort of like a zero button mouse with a lot of latency on it."

Source:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-02-carmack-criticises-fundamentally-poor-kinect-interactions

Sevengen said:

consoles and handheld controllers have been around since the early seventies, roughly forty years now. 

I want someone to explain to me why an alternative way to control your game system, an altogether different approach on how to play games in general, is a bad thing.

As someone whom has purchased tons of peripherals because I enjoy better ways to play I can say there isn't anything wrong with them in and of themselves. Negativity from Kinect comes from a very valid place. There isn't much hit software for it.  While it does make browsing media much more convenient than using a controller as someone whom wants fun Kinect GAMES none of that is of any value to me.  Especially not at a premium. 

George Orwell was also paranoid ... or was he ? :O

Sevengen said:

consoles and handheld controllers have been around since the early seventies, roughly forty years now. 

I want someone to explain to me why an alternative way to control your game system, an altogether different approach on how to play games in general, is a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with the concept, but everything is wronf about the execution. For instance, we all know Kinect sucks, all its motion control games just don't work as advertised. Then MS promised the future of motion gaming with Kinect 2, they promised voice control and enhanced motion gaming, and lo and behold, voice command is broken and motion gaming has been atrocious in every kinect game that has come out on X1.

I like new technology, but don't try to sell it to me if it does not work. Kinect is first and foremost a motion control device and it BARELY manages to perform that. And to make matters worse, the Kinect 2 is forced upon every X1 customer. That is shitty, why force a broken piece of hardware on people to bring down the overall user experience? X1 is far stronger without the kinect. Kinect brings the whole system down. If motion control actually worked, and was utilized in innovative ways then we would all be on board, but it fails time and time again, and yet these companies continue to try to shove it down our throats. That my firend is bullshit. I am not your guinea pig, sell it to me when it is ready and it fucking works, not when it barely functions. All this testing should happen during the R&D, once it hits shelves it should work as advertised - it currently does not. And then all these fools go out and support it and purchase it, and MS (Sony, Nintendo, whoever) continues to push out shitty motion gaming on us, because HEY it sells and makes them money. Why fix what's broekn but selling, right?

I have seen more than enough videos and read more than enough reviews to know that Kinect 2's voice command is shit, and its motion control is shit. It is an all-round horrible product, making what could be a great product (the X1), a crappy one. The user interface is completely horrendous on the X1 because controlling it with a controller makes no sense with the way its laid out, and the voice command is not responsive. Good for MS for trying to innovate, but do not do it at our expense, release it ONLY when it is 100% functional.

Around the Network

My cellphone has a camera, I never use it. It makes no improviment in my experience of calling people or sending SMS. It has a touchscreen also, and that is not better than a physical keyboard. They probably make may cellphone more expencive.

Last month I went to see a new TV to buy, only found TVs that are either "smart" or 3D, I have no interest in any of those features.

So, what should I do?

Dark_Feanor said:
My cellphone has a camera, I never use it. It makes no improviment in my experience of calling people or sending SMS. It has a touchscreen also, and that is not better than a physical keyboard. They probably make may cellphone more expencive.

Last month I went to see a new TV to buy, only found TVs that are either "smart" or 3D, I have no interest in any of those features.

So, what should I do?

http://www.engadget.com/products/samsung/eh6000-series/

We think that most television snobs will prefer a multi-function display that connects to the internet and turns on when you say “TV on!” However, if extra features seem unnecessary to you, but you won’t settle for less than the best, this television will suit you just fine.

There are still plenty left, you're not looking very hard.

SvennoJ said:
Dark_Feanor said:

So, what should I do?

http://www.engadget.com/products/samsung/eh6000-series/

We think that most television snobs will prefer a multi-function display that connects to the internet and turns on when you say “TV on!” However, if extra features seem unnecessary to you, but you won’t settle for less than the best, this television will suit you just fine.

There are still plenty left, you're not looking very hard.

Man, I´ve seen this exacly model in a maganize but couldn´t find any where around here or online shop (always out of stock).

But you understand, don´t you? If I have a 360 or a PS3, any "smart" TV is superfluous, with a One or a PS4 would be a overkill.

Puppyroach said:
Well, I use only Kinect for my Netflix since it is so much easier. Having a system where that kind of functionality is built in everywhere is a big bonus, coupled with being able to Skype in 1080p :). Ofcourse it adds alot of value for alot of people, just looks at the 20mn people who bought the first Kinect, and this time around it is improved upon lots.

I still understand people who don´t care for Kinect, but I have no respect for those that try to downplay the experience for us that DO like Kinect.

I've seen the Netflix control mentioned a couple of times as a good reason for Kinect, but they removed the Kinect gesture control from the last version. Apparently it was almost never used, so Netflix thought they should strip it. I found it pretty odd that MS based the XB1 around this control when it must have been clear people didn't want to use it.

"All if this backend innovation will have one casualty though: Jaffe told us that Xbox 360 users who update to the new interface won't be able to use Kinect gesture control anymore. Even so, it's a minor loss - apparently the company's statistics show that it's almost never used." - Netflix updates Xbox 360, PS3, Roku and Smart TV apps with unified interface

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Dark_Feanor said:

So, what should I do?

Stop with the misinformation please. Cell phone cameras became standard because it was useful to the majority of people. Ontop of that the cameras add practically nothing to cost. There are plenty of cell phones without touch screen.... maybe you should have informed yourself before purchasing