By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the "3DS and PS4 have won this gen" acceptance thread

It hasn't even been a week. That's ridiculous.

Around the Network

3DS won obviously, and while I've always believed the PS4 will win on the home console front, it's too early to say it actually has won. I wanna think 2014 will be a pretty close race between the three, so it wont be until 2015 that the PS4 really starts pulling ahead, as that's when I believe 3rd partys will have mostly moved on to the 8th gen.

Jesus people, hold your horses. The battle has just begun.

Hey guise you're forgetting that the Wii U is gonna have some system sellers that's going to make it the number one console next year

Someone forgot the Wii U's line up in 2014.

3DS has it won though.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

Around the Network
eFKac said:
For me it's more like Vita lost the gen, 3DS won't be anywhere near DS sales levels, it will do respectable numbers, but will be a dissapointment compared to DS.
As for home consoles, yes PS4 winning would be my guess as well. Xbone will beat it by max 5 million units in NA, PS4 grabs the rest of the world, europe and Japan where Xbone is even more non-existent than the 360.

disapointment? Do you think PS3 sales are dissapointment?

Click HERE and be happy 

eFKac said:
For me it's more like Vita lost the gen, 3DS won't be anywhere near DS sales levels, it will do respectable numbers, but will be a dissapointment compared to DS.
As for home consoles, yes PS4 winning would be my guess as well. Xbone will beat it by max 5 million units in NA, PS4 grabs the rest of the world, europe and Japan where Xbone is even more non-existent than the 360.

You really need to keep in mind a couple of facts:

1. Disregarding pre-order laden PS4 and XBone launch weeks, the 3DS has been the top selling system every single week for months, and in fact for most of 2013.

2. The 3DS also happens to have, arguably, the best all-around line-up of software on any console, home or portable. It's going to most likely have the next Dragon Quest, it has Monster Hunter 4, it gets the lion's share of great rpgs over any other system including PC, it still has healthy third party support overall, and it's first party exclusives are second to none.

It's entirely possible that you're right, 3DS won't ultimately sell the DS' total numbers, but I do think it'll break 80 million units lifetime, which is a far cry from "disappointment". Also, do keep in mind that the system has only been out for 2 and a half years or so, and despite a slow first few months in 2011, it's inching up on 40 million pretty soon already. I like it's chances.

whats the point in saying that the ps4 won the generation?. or any console, i just dont see the point... i agree with competition, but not in fanboy wars. 

from the way i see it, the playstation brand became a cultural phenomenon, when the ps1 came out it transformed the paradigms of gaming world, people just stoped talking about nintendo and mario, and started talking about playstation, gran turismo, metal gear, etc. the playstation just changed the way kids and young people interacted with each other, and it maintains that way just like nintendo did in its time, and it just became in a determinant and referential factor for any gaming theme or subject and that just wont change because its a part of the world history and the impact it generated on the world was of great magnitude. i dont want to sound so melodramatic, but the playstation altered generations of people thoughts and they started to connect in a new gaming universe, just a new experience. it just transcends cultural differences. it turned in the middle point for many cosmivisions of the world to meet and interact. thats why i always think that playstation its not just originally for japanese people or culture. the playstation its Venezuelan (me here) just as much as it is japanese or american, or european, etc. is a worldwide and historic phenomenon. just a common factor for many idiosyncrasies. not many things can do that. 

i dont feel like i am exagerating, because at least with me it was that way, the videogame world became an important part of my life thanks to playstation. thats why i will always be a playstation fan, but that doesnt mean that i have to hate the xbox brand. the xbox brand is just doing the same thing that playstation and nintendo did in its time and still doing. its becoming in a social fact, is changing the way a generation thinks and entertain, is becoming in a universal and social matter. maby not in the same scale as playstation and nintendo. but is doing it, and i am sure the xbox is an important part of many people lives just as playstation is to me. this is what we need to pass on to others.

make love not war, lol xd. 

I own a PS4 and I don't think it has automatically won the gen. I want that on the record.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

EricFabian said:
eFKac said:

disapointment? Do you think PS3 sales are dissapointment?

...Duh?

How are people still trying to argue that the PS3 wasn't a failed system? Do you guys honestly think the PS4 would be what it is today if Sony didn't view it's predicessor as an utter disappointment? There are games now on the 3DS that have sold better than each individual game in the Uncharted series. Come on. It takes a fall to get back up again.

Still, I think the Wii U has a chance. Twilight Princess has now sold more than Ocarina of Time. How do you think people will react when the "Skyrim-scale," High Definition, truely open-world, fight-dungeons-in-any-order, largest development staff in Nintendo history New Legend of Zelda comes out? What about the successor to the critically acclaimed Super Mario Galaxy, of which the very same team just released a critically acclaimed sample of what's to come in Super Mario 3D World? What about the next Metroid? What about the successor to, what is considered by many to be the best JRPG of last generation and one of the best JRPG's of all time, Xenoblade Chronicles?

Mario Kart 8?

Super Smash Bros. U?

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze?

Nintendo hasn't released many of it's heavy hitters yet. Honesty, I'm waiting on Zelda U before I'll let anyone call the Wii U down and out.

Neither Nintendo, Sony, nor Microsoft have so much as taken their gloves off in this brawl. Let's not call the fight before the boxers have even squared up.

Tomorrow, the bell rings.