By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry Next-Gen Now: Ryse: Son of Rome (Drops Below 20fps)

Tagged games:

kowenicki said:

and away from the pixel counters I think is clear...

For all the simplicity of its mechanics, Ryse’s artistry is second to none. Crytek is home not just to Europe’s best technical minds, it seems, but to some of its finest videogame artists, too. Even with its constant cribbing from Hollywood, there has never been a game world of such striking beauty, variety or detail. It’s a monumental piece of world-building that sets the standard for videogame fantasy in much the same way Gears Of War established its own precedents during the previous generation. Like the first Gears, Ryse is a simple game loaded with small-scale encounters and rudimentary set-pieces with the intention of hustling you towards something beautiful. Both have their own ‘horror’ stage, both have sieges, both have stationary guns of sorts, and Ryse, like Gears, has room to grow if given the chance. The game has a decisive ending, but it also opens the window to something even more fantastical, offering greater scope for mechanical depth and further extraordinary visual extremes.

EDGE

Best lookign next gen game.  Many agree.

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Average review score is higher than most thought here and I guess that makes some salty.

I swear you sound more and more like Selnor every day.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

For all the simplicity of its mechanics, Ryse’s artistry is second to none. Crytek is home not just to Europe’s best technical minds, it seems, but to some of its finest videogame artists, too. Even with its constant cribbing from Hollywood, there has never been a game world of such striking beauty, variety or detail. It’s a monumental piece of world-building that sets the standard for videogame fantasy in much the same way Gears Of War established its own precedents during the previous generation. Like the first Gears, Ryse is a simple game loaded with small-scale encounters and rudimentary set-pieces with the intention of hustling you towards something beautiful. Both have their own ‘horror’ stage, both have sieges, both have stationary guns of sorts, and Ryse, like Gears, has room to grow if given the chance. The game has a decisive ending, but it also opens the window to something even more fantastical, offering greater scope for mechanical depth and further extraordinary visual extremes.

EDGE

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow. Average review score is higher than most thought here and I guess that makes some salty.

Where did you get that notion? Average review score is higher than most thought here? Heres the thread on vgchartz with users predicting the metacritic score for Ryze.

Hint: Most thought it would be higher.

kowenicki said:
Porcupine_I said:
kowenicki said:

EDGE

I swear you sound more and more like Selnor every day.

Thoise arent my words big fella.

I'm just reporting news like ethomaz is.

Ryse is the best lookign game for many and the gameplay is adequate enough for its meta to be in the 60's.... many launch games cant say that can they?

Keep smiling.

Oh, i am smiling alright

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

KHlover said:
Sub 20 at times? What kind of joke is this. Let's hope this is just bad optimization on Cryteks part...

It's Crytek. Can only blame the hardware and above all crazt demands of people. This is early gen.

Just when it looked like the thread was dying a bit things became glorious!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Again, @ethomaz sees issues where there is none.

The frame rate fluctuate between 30 and 24, it never affects the experience. It has a very nice cinematic look and feel, no alising what so ever.

Please, @ethomaz post the full article here, and change the title.

You have a very low standard of gaming, 30fps stable is the BARE minimum for an enjoyable gaming experience, anything below that and any remote feeling of smoothness is gone. 900p and not even a stable 30fps, for the most ambitious system ever? MS talking a big talk but not walking the walk. 

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

globalisateur said:
Dark_Feanor said:
ethomaz said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Again, @ethomaz sees issues where there is none.

The frame rate fluctuate between 30 and 24, it never affects the experience. It has a very nice cinematic look and feel, no alising what so ever.

Please, @ethomaz post the full article here, and change the title.

You failed again.

I can take a picture with 16fps (the minimum in DF video)... there are a lot of part with constant sub 20fps.

WOW the humanity!! A 33% persentage drop in a stage with duzens of enimies, arrows, catapults ogives, its terrible.

Wait, DF also says and show Killzone SF frame rate going from 60 to 40 in MP, 33%, so youd you say Killzone has fame rate issues?

Yes, but the gap between the 2 games remains the same, even in the low drops.

Ryse averaged at 28fps (I am generous here), often seen at 25fps with drops at 16fps (just on one video yet, waiting for others materials)

Killzone averaged at 50fps (DF tweeted about an average of 50fps in MP), often at 40fps with one exceptionnal drop which has been documented at 28fps (lots of video now).

So in average you can compare those 2 games as: Ryse 900p28fps VS KZ 1080p50fps thats 2.7 times more pixels pushed by PS4 on absolute average. And the pixels shown by Killzone are not too shabby either.

I see people here has dificult understanding irony. And it´s quite boring having to explain my point.

I´m not discussing which game does more. Killzone does more, but not without flaws. It was a desing decison go to "close" 60fps and 1080p, and don´t be fulled, GG sacrificed a lot to do this. And, being honest, the art stile is not that good.

GG clearly had a lot more time to develop Killzone and target the PS4 from de begining. Ryse development was a mess, it started as a 360 Kinect game, it was on limbo the same time Crytek released  2 Crysis and Warface.

Ok, I digress.

My point is, you can´t see @ethomaz creating threds like "DF- Killzone (Drop Below 30fps)". See? both cases the games strugle to maintain their fps targets.

These guys are neatpicking every single aspect of every Xbox One game. Everybody knows the GPU are weaker, eventhough, an ordinary gamer, with an ordinary TV, playing at an ordinary distance would have hard time to figure out the "resolutiongate".

They have to time and time again point obscure performance aspects to downplay anything Xbox One has to offer. Remember how they react when Polygon was honest and told they couldn´t se any difference between COD:Ghost version? Or Battlefield 4 face-off that shows nothing else beyond the resoluiton? Well, I´m surprised that LevelCap isn´t being bullied for saing BF4 "plays exactly the same on PS4 and XOne".

Ok, I wrote too much. 

kowenicki said:
Dallinor said:

Where did you get that notion? Average review score is higher than most thought here? Heres the thread on vgchartz with users predicting the metacritic score for Ryze.

Hint: Most thought it would be higher.

of course they did... lol

Yeah. It's just it completely conflicts with your perception of 'most' other posters opinions. 

kowenicki said:

To be fair... thats was mis-type.  lol.  I meant to put "week"

I was referring to the fact that last week the xbox fans where in the main respectful and considered.   Already here we have some posters, as expected, jumping to post as much negative opinion and news as they can as soon as they can.  Its pretty pathetic.

Agreed, but I think we all knew that would happen. I'd be disappointed by it but that would mean I was the least bit surprised. The exact same reaction happened on SonyGAF.

Anyways I made it like 6 1/2 minutes into the video before I closed it, don't wanna spoil anything. Lowest I saw it get was 24 once or twice for a split second during an execution. OP makes it seem as if the game constantly struggles to keep a playable frame rate.

All I can see is that launch games are hardly enough to convince me to buy any next gen system. Hardly enough to convince into paying 400-500$ plus another 100-140$ for these games.

Thanks, I'd rather keep my money.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.