By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

Just chiming in to say that the high ratings are fully justified.
(The game came out in Japan today.)

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
F0X said:
Locknuts said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:
 this has at least restored my faith in how DK might turn out.

Surely Retro's track record is reassurance enough? They've never made a bad game before.

I know, I know.....just......Metroid is what I wanted.

I hate to break it to you, but much of the talent behind the Prime series has left Retro.

Though a 2.5D Metroid game (and not the Other M type) could be in the cards at least. If not Prime 4.

And what ''type'' are you talking about exactly? What is this ''Other M type''? The gameplay was great, the atmosphere had the perfect amount of creepy and loneliness and the graphics and artstyle looked great on the Wii. If they made a new 2.5D Metroid, I sure damn hope it's alot like Other M, but with a better story. The story was it's only flaw, it's a important aspect yes, but not enough to bitch about it as much as some ppl are and dismiss everything this game has done.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Nintendo should take the Other M engine, beef it up for the Wii U in 720p, and make a new game out of it centering around a different bounty hunter in the Metroid universe.

Just make it a straight up bad ass action sci-fi game. And get someone decent to handle the story stuff.

But attaching the Metroid legacy gave that game too much to live up to. As an action sci-fi game taken on its own merits and ignoring the cheesy writing of the plot, the game wasn't that bad honestly.

Frequency said:

People around the world generally start christmas shopping in september, picking up little bits here and there, but aside from that both ps3 and 360 versions are still consistently in the top 10 game sales each week, so clearly many people are buying it in the holiday period.

You lot are of course going to argue tooth and nail that it doesnt count, but it does all the same.

Now if you want to change it to 'highest rated game LAUNCHED this holiday season then you would of course, for the time being at least, be correct.

But simply saying 'highest rated game this holiday season' suggests its the highest rated game being sold which is not true for the reason i initially pointed out.

I like accuracy.

Settle down Dhalism, you've got quite a reach there.

Soundwave said:
Nintendo should take the Other M engine, beef it up for the Wii U in 720p, and make a new game out of it centering around a different bounty hunter in the Metroid universe.

Just make it a straight up bad ass action sci-fi game. And get someone decent to handle the story stuff.

But attaching the Metroid legacy gave that game too much to live up to. As an action sci-fi game taken on its own merits and ignoring the cheesy writing of the plot, the game wasn't that bad honestly.

I'd liteally not like to ever see that happen. Know why? Because while Other M absolutely deserves a ton of shit over the horrificly bad story and even worse portrayal of Samus, what I personally REALLY hated about the game, and what made me feel like I wasted my money on a pile of shit (and hence traded it in), was the craptacular game engine itself. The minute I heard that Team Ninja was involved with it, I instantly had reservations, knowing how dreadfully shitty their 3D Ninja Gaiden games play, from floaty, frustrating platforming, to bad camera, to shitty physics and hit detection, shoddy combat, you name it. And guess what? Even though I tried to stay optimistic and give Other M a chanec anyway, I was proven tragically right. The game sucks, period, for the gameplay and controls moreso even than the shitty story.

I do not want to ever see another game like that published by Nintendo. It's best to forget that game ever happened. Out of ALL the great properties and ideas Nintendo could/should bring to the Wii U, Star Fox, F-Zero, Wave Race, Battalion Wars, Pokemon, Chibi Robo, Mother/Earthbound, a Super Paper Mario sequel, you name it.......another Other M type game should be nowhere on that list.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

That's a great idea, shut the bitchy fanboys who are still QQing over Other M since this is not a Metroid game. Shut the sony/m$ fanboys who keeps yelling that Nintendo can't do new IPs. Could bring new fan to the Metroid franchise and keep the Metroid fans entertain cause despite not being a proper Metroid game, it would certainly grab their attention.

But for a Metroid spin off game, I feel it should play different than Metroid to suceed. Maybe a online focused FPS (with a deep campaign offcaurse) where you play a soldier of the Galactic Federation.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Metrium said:
F0X said:

I hate to break it to you, but much of the talent behind the Prime series has left Retro.

Though a 2.5D Metroid game (and not the Other M type) could be in the cards at least. If not Prime 4.

And what ''type'' are you talking about exactly? What is this ''Other M type''? The gameplay was great, the atmosphere had the perfect amount of creepy and loneliness and the graphics and artstyle looked great on the Wii. If they made a new 2.5D Metroid, I sure damn hope it's alot like Other M, but with a better story. The story was it's only flaw, it's a important aspect yes, but not enough to bitch about it as much as some ppl are and dismiss everything this game has done.

My main problem with Other M's gameplay stems from its control scheme, which felt simplistic to a fault (and often clunky). It's also one of the most linear entries in the Metroid series, and while linearity isn't an inheriently bad thing, it does dampen my urge to replay the game. If the story was decent, like Fusion's, I wouldn't mind it so much. But as it is, Other M isn't God's gift to speedrunners, or even a brilliantly structured experience, so I tend to think of it as a huge step back from Super and Prime.

But it does have some good ideas which could be expanded and refined. I wouldn't be opposed to revisting its mechanics, provided that the overall design philosphy is different. A better story would be nice, but I'd prefer sticking to the series usual minimalistic form. :P I don't see much of a point to creating a more cinematic Metroid game, because the series would be best served by focusing completely on nailing a tense alien atmosphere, and such presentation doesn't require larger budgets or skilled voice actors. A simpler, more compact narrative can be just as good, if not better, if the writing is quality and the storytelling method doesn't get in the way of the overall experience.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Soundwave said:

ot a bad idea! They could call it, like you said (kind of), Metroid Legacy (And a subtitle). Why Not? I'd actually like to see a spinn off series to Zelda as well, that's more centered on Zelda herself. Gurdians of Hyrule, or something like that. And make it a tie in to the Wii U Zelda!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

tbone51 said:
the_dengle said:
tbone51 said:
94 on Metacritic

Man, I mean 93 is alright, don't get me wrong, but 94? That's off the hook, day 1, no doubt

it might go back down :'-(

But as of now the game sits minimum of 92 and most likely at 93. 94 if no more reviews are 90 or under, also has a very very very slim chance of a 95!

Actually it's mostly perfect scores that goes up to Metacritic since it reached 94. 14 perfect scores!