By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: 94 on MetaCritic! Super Mario 3D World: A Game Once Doubted Is Now Highest Rated Game of The Holiday! Anybody Eating Crow?

F0X said:
Tied with Bioshock Infinite and one point behind The Last of Us.

Not that it matters. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was 2010's highest-rated game, yet it didn't win very many GOTY awards. Granted, Red Dead Redemption was and is still the best game Rockstar ever produced.

Galaxy 2 wasn't really GOTY material in the sense that is stayed rather close to the formula that won the first Galaxy almost all GOTY awards. Can't be super original with the same thing two times over.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Not unexpected to see a Nintendo game being overrated...

So you've played it?? How did you manage to pick it up before it launched?

Tell me good sir, how is it?

Locknuts said:
 this has at least restored my faith in how DK might turn out.

Surely Retro's track record is reassurance enough? They've never made a bad game before.

curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

Surely Retro's track record is reassurance enough? They've never made a bad game before.

DK is a great Platformer, that said everybody was expecting two things for E3. A Galaxy Mario game and a Metroid, both reveals (SM3DW+DK TF) were both considered a disappointment due to that. But now here we are 5 months later and we have the highest rated exclusive of the holiday, and the second highest exclusive of the year (TLoU is #1)!

DK tropical freeze wont disappoint! All i know is retro+EAD next games are Super Mario Universe and Metroid U!

Podings said:
F0X said:
Tied with Bioshock Infinite and one point behind The Last of Us.

Not that it matters. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was 2010's highest-rated game, yet it didn't win very many GOTY awards. Granted, Red Dead Redemption was and is still the best game Rockstar ever produced.

Galaxy 2 wasn't really GOTY material in the sense that it stayed rather close to the formula that won the first Galaxy almost all GOTY awards. Can't be super original with the same thing two times over.

Maybe so, maybe no. Both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are ambitious in different senses - the first for establishing a brave new approach, and the second for devilvering far more of it and generally turning it up to eleven. But I can't pretend to know how critics think, and if I did know, then I'd might go insane with the knowledge.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

Lawlight said:
Not unexpected to see a Nintendo game being overrated...

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

DK is a great Platformer, that said everybody was expecting two things for E3. A Galaxy Mario game and a Metroid, both reveals (SM3DW+DK TF) were both considered a disappointment due to that. But now here we are 5 months later and we have the highest rated exclusive of the holiday, and the second highest exclusive of the year (TLoU is #1)!

DK tropical freeze wont disappoint! All i know is retro+EAD next games are Super Mario Universe and Metroid U!

I for one was thrilled when Tropical Freeze was announced, DKCR was one of the best platformers ever made in my opinion.

tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

Don't get my hopes up again, dammit! I'm a huge Metroid fanboy. Prime got me back into console gaming.

curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

I know, I know.....just......Metroid is what I wanted.

Locknuts said:
curl-6 said:
Locknuts said:

I know, I know.....just......Metroid is what I wanted.

Maybe next time. ;) They typically do two games per Nintendo console.