Do you Agree?

YES!! 44 25.88%

ehh Yes, i guess 13 7.65%

I agree to that statement 16 9.41%

affirmative 1 0.59%

true story 8 4.71%

LOL just show me the results 88 51.76%

Total:170

Shooters are simply want the majority of gamers want right now. 15 years ago, it was RPGs. 20 years ago, it was platformers. Who knows what the PS4's best selling games will be 5 years from now.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

Nope. Nothing to do with the PS4 or PS3 and 360 either, has everything to do with the culture that followed Halo and CoD4.

FPS as more popular now than ever before, it comes from ease of use and play compared to 10-15 yrs ago, what was once stuck on the PC, FPS have found themselves nice place in modern console gaming. Yet in this generation of games, there are a few genres that where the FPS success has caused them to falter. The traditional platformers and JPRG seem to me most evident.

PS4/Xbone won't be a Shooter console, the industry is Shooter.

Also, I know it's not your pun but 'Shooterbox 4'? The writer of the original article couldn't even think of Playstooter 4 or ShooterStation 4? They fit a lot better.

Hmm, pie.

1) I suspect lots of 360 owner jumped ship this gen due to Microsofts anti customer attitude and PS4s superior hardware and Kinect forced down their throat, and cost.

2) There are no other games right now.

3) Cookie cutter shooters and sports games and mass ported shovelware are ALWAYS the main launch titles . Since PS2, we have seen the same launch titles on every new console. Guarantee a new console comes out, on day one you'll see the usual suspects: Call of Doodoo, NBA, Madden, Wheel of Fortune, SpongeBob, Tony Hawk, etc.

Meh, shooter games right now are the most popular games on the market because theyre fun and competitive online and with friends. With the PS4 being a popular platform with a good quality online service, its no surprise to see games that are fun online selling well.

anthony64641 said:

The days of Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and Jak & Daxter filling PlayStation consoles worldwide are long gone, and may never come back. With the release of Sony’s latest console, the PS4. The firm has successfully transitioned the fanbase from platform and RPG fans, to shooter and online multiplayer fans, in about one generations’ time.  

You have to look at why.

Ratchet and Clank isnt gone, its still here just not as popular as it once was, due to series fatigue and a number of poor quality games.

Sly Cooper never sold really well and isnt missed in the slightest.

Final Fantasy has been raped, killed off then raped again by Square Enix this generation, though using VGC numbers as you are doing then we can see that Final Fantasy XIII has sold over 5 Million copies on the PS3. The following game, XIII-2 didnt sell well because it was the sequel to XIII. The fault here lies with Square Enix, not with Sony or PS owners.

Devil May Cry is another one with the developer at fault. Though DMC4 is the 2nd best selling DMC release when you combine platforms. The new, updated DMC we know how that one ended.

Jak and Daxter was left behind so Naughty Dog could work on new projects, the said new projects were gigantic success stories, so we cant really complain here.

As for Platform games and RPGs, theyre doing well enough for whats available. Platformers simply arent all that popular anymore outside of Nintendo. Despite this, LBP as a platforming series sold over 8 Million units on PS3. Ratchet and Clank sold ~6 Million on PS3. The problem with platformers is that a lot of them being made are simply downloadable titles. RPGs? Theyre doing great! FFXIII, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age, Borderlands, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of...

The problem Im seeing here is that the writer is dismissing anything outside of the top 10, which is an extremely silly thing to do. Oh wait...

anthony64641 said:

Just two generations ago, the PS2 had games like Need for Speed Underground, Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty, Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest, and Gran Turismo 3 in the top 10 for sales. Man, how times have changed.

Yeah, the problem is not looking outside that Top 10. We have LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Final Fantasy, Need for Speed, Batman, LA Noire, inFamous, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tekken, Heavy Rain and numerous other titles that arent "shooters" per say in the Top 50.

Silly article is silly. Not giving clicks.

Lol what? So did Goldeneye being one of the top 3 best selling N64 games deter you from playing the N64's platformers? I can't help but laugh at the irony of using a system that had THREE shooters at launch to up-play your argument. (Hint: I'm not talking about the PS4)

Just because your beloved platformers aren't in the limelight doesn't mean you aren't inclined to play them anymore. Ever considered that maybe 3D platformers have been in major decline after the entire novelty of 3D gaming started wearing off towards the end of last gen? The only exception as of late is Mario, and even that's lagged far behind the 2D brethren.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

Meh, shooter games right now are the most popular games on the market because theyre fun and competitive online and with friends. With the PS4 being a popular platform with a good quality online service, its no surprise to see games that are fun online selling well.

anthony64641 said:

The days of Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and Jak & Daxter filling PlayStation consoles worldwide are long gone, and may never come back. With the release of Sony’s latest console, the PS4. The firm has successfully transitioned the fanbase from platform and RPG fans, to shooter and online multiplayer fans, in about one generations’ time.  

You have to look at why.

Ratchet and Clank isnt gone, its still here just not as popular as it once was, due to series fatigue and a number of poor quality games.

Sly Cooper never sold really well and isnt missed in the slightest.

Final Fantasy has been raped, killed off then raped again by Square Enix this generation, though using VGC numbers as you are doing then we can see that Final Fantasy XIII has sold over 5 Million copies on the PS3. The following game, XIII-2 didnt sell well because it was the sequel to XIII. The fault here lies with Square Enix, not with Sony or PS owners.

Devil May Cry is another one with the developer at fault. Though DMC4 is the 2nd best selling DMC release when you combine platforms. The new, updated DMC we know how that one ended.

Jak and Daxter was left behind so Naughty Dog could work on new projects, the said new projects were gigantic success stories, so we cant really complain here.

As for Platform games and RPGs, theyre doing well enough for whats available. Platformers simply arent all that popular anymore outside of Nintendo. Despite this, LBP as a platforming series sold over 8 Million units on PS3. Ratchet and Clank sold ~6 Million on PS3. The problem with platformers is that a lot of them being made are simply downloadable titles. RPGs? Theyre doing great! FFXIII, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age, Borderlands, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of...

The problem Im seeing here is that the writer is dismissing anything outside of the top 10, which is an extremely silly thing to do. Oh wait...

anthony64641 said:

Just two generations ago, the PS2 had games like Need for Speed Underground, Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty, Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest, and Gran Turismo 3 in the top 10 for sales. Man, how times have changed.

Yeah, the problem is not looking outside that Top 10. We have LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Final Fantasy, Need for Speed, Batman, LA Noire, inFamous, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Tekken, Heavy Rain and numerous other titles that arent "shooters" per say in the Top 50.

Silly article is silly. Not giving clicks.

/thread

As long as genres I enjoy continue to exist I am fine with it. Bit odd for first time in history dominant genre on consoles is one I have little to no interest in, but industry is big enough to support wide audience.

As others have stated, what else was there to really purchase? As far as exlusives go, this was as weak as it gets, third party helped boost the launch lineup considerably, with 2 of those titles being 2 of the top 3 shooters in existence. The beginning of next year and on is when the real launch begins for me at least, it seems like it may be too rpg/action adventure heavy but that is most certainly a good thing. Also, it makes perfect sense to bring the heavy hitters in the most popular genre to kickoff a new gen. If this is something that truly bothers you or you simply lack patience, Microsoft is most definitely offering a wider breadth of content and releasing what i think is the best launch exclusive in dead rising 3.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Fusioncode said:
Shooters are simply want the majority of gamers want right now. 15 years ago, it was RPGs. 20 years ago, it was platformers. Who knows what the PS4's best selling games will be 5 years from now.

Eh no.  The number of gamers wanting RPGs hasn't changed and is in fact larger.  The sales #s of niche games like Ni no Kuni, Tales, Disgaea, etc, dwarf even SNES and PS1 RPGs.  The demand for RPG and adventure games is clearly more than it ever has been.

It's just that tens of millions of new ADDITIONAL casual mainstream dude bro "gamers" were added to the "gamer" market who refuse to play anything that isn't spilling over in machismo and testosterone.

And that's fine, you don't have to play shooters if you don't like them... except you can't avoid them.  Studios who are now so big that 4 million copies sold is a failure (when selling 100k units of a niche game is what MADE them in the first place).  They want a slice of the Call of Doodoo pie and are ruining our beloved once legendary franchises trying to appeal to these douchebags. 

Resident Evil is no longer Resident Evil.  Final Fantasy is no longer Final Fantasy.  That's why it's a problem.  I don't care if shooters outnumber RPGs 20 to 1, as long as the RPGs stay RPGs and not one button linear corridor machismo 1 liner quipping I’m too cool for myself casual dudebro games because they think it will sell 20 million copies in the first hour of release.

So where does that leave us, the original old school gamers who have been here all along?  Guess our money isn't good enough anymore.

anthony64641 said:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that Sony’s core fanbase, are mainly shooting game fans. Even going back to the PS3, the best-selling exclusive franchise for Sony, outside of Gran Tursimo, was Uncharted. The best-selling games for the PS3, all involved some sort of gunplay. Out of the top 10 best-selling games on PS3, seven of them are shooters. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty Black Ops, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 are all in the top six. All of those games sold an excess of 10 million units as well.

Looking at the PS4′s launch, it was dominated by shooters. Call of Duty Ghosts sold to 70% of people who purchased a PS4 within the first day it was sold. Battlefield 4 sold 396,187 units at launch. While Killzone Shadow Fall sold 355,148 units. The top three games sold on PS4, are all shooter, and outsold the rest of the lineup 1,454,973 to 962,353. (EA only sold 21,652 units of NBA Live 14, LOL – KARMA)

Shooters are clearly the present and future of the PlayStation brand. Sony wanted to be in direct competition with Microsoft, and they definitely are. Microsoft was known for shooters in the 6th & 7th generation. However, the PS4 can now be dubbed the ‘shooterbox 4′.

It’s very telling when God of War Ascension on the PS3, almost gets outsold by the PS4 version of COD Ghosts, on day one. The PS3 has an install base of 80 million, the PS4 just launched! PlayStation gamers tastes have clearly moved on to shooters. This leaves games like Need for Speed Rivals and Injustice, to flop like a fish on day one.

This ‘shooter’ obsession really started on the PS3, and will now be in full effect on the PS4. Of course there will be some games that break this trend like Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3. But just like the PS3, shooters will tower over the majority of games in sales and play time. Old relics like me just haven’t accepted this new age of playing . And to be honest, I don’t think I ever will.

Just for the record, i like shooters. there fun at times. the reason of this article is just for laughs so dont get to butt hurt. "sales dont lie" XD lol

Sources:http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PS3&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

Orgin of OP:http://playeressence.com/the-ps4-has-turned-into-the-shooterbox-4/

Or maybe its because not only have gamers grown and matured (the young PS1 buyers who transformed into the PS2 platformer/RPG buyers), but so has the entire gaming culture.

The culture of gaming today is more about multiplayer and quick gaming, which is why shooters and COD are so dominant. 

The days of single player are over, at least, in the sense of them being most popular. Its a shame, but its true. 

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.