By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NoA Software/Hardware Engineer - Nintendo working on educational tablet/games for schools

Soundwave said:

I believe Nintendo tried or experimented with DS' in Japanese classrooms at the height of the Brian Training craze, but I think the school board wasn't thrilled with it because kids were using them (as you would guess) play games of the non-educational variety.

It may be a tough market to crack though, I believe Apple just got a deal with the California/Los Angeles school board that every child will be getting an iPad for educational purposes ... but you can see how such a move might worry Nintendo ... *every* single kid with their own personal iPad. 

1st Nitnendo is not competing here, they just want to help. 

2nd to add to your comment, 3DS is already on some european museums.

Around the Network

Are we sure this guy even works at NOA? The source is NeoGaf or what?

EDIT: From his profile, yeah it looks like he works at NOA. 

Interesting he mentions that the games, while educational in nature, do feature Nintendo characters.

Also what is this tablet? Custom design by Nintendo or just a stock Android tablet? I'm guessing it would be a Nintendo design.

Soundwave said:

Are we sure this guy even works at NOA? The source is NeoGaf or what?

EDIT: From his profile, yeah it looks like he works at NOA. 

If hes lying, then hes been lying for a long time.

Nintendo Everything are also now running a story on it.

He can probably leak it because this isn't the kind of thing Nintendo needs to keep underwraps. It's an edutainment tablet for schools, not something for the mass market. I'm sure there is a market for this. It wouldn't be hard for Nintendo to undercut the iPad with a more practical low spec tablet geared specifically towards education, textbooks, and low tech edutainment titles.

Around the Network

It could have interesting repercussions though.

If they are willing to make an Android based tablet for school children with Nintendo-based educational games ... then surely an Android based Nintendo gaming tablet must not be out of the realm of possibility, in fact it would seem quite probable.

Soundwave said:

People ripped me apart for it, but I've been saying for a while if Nintendo was going to make a tablet, Google would be an ideal partner. Free OS, entirely customizable, established fan base, etc. etc.

They also already have worked with Google in the recent past, with the Google Maps app for the Wii U. Iwata Asks even had a Google software engineer to answer questions about the app.

Now this may strictly be an experiment for the educational market (which isn't a bad play either, except Apple seems to be cornering the market on that fast), but if Nintendo is R&Ding tablets of any nature, it's actually pretty mind blowing. 

The key point of a google partnership is that Google will leave Nintendo with hardware control, which is the key point of keeping Nintendo as we know them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:

People ripped me apart for it, but I've been saying for a while if Nintendo was going to make a tablet, Google would be an ideal partner. Free OS, entirely customizable, established fan base, etc. etc.

They also already have worked with Google in the recent past, with the Google Maps app for the Wii U. Iwata Asks even had a Google software engineer to answer questions about the app.

Now this may strictly be an experiment for the educational market (which isn't a bad play either, except Apple seems to be cornering the market on that fast), but if Nintendo is R&Ding tablets of any nature, it's actually pretty mind blowing. 

The key point of a google partnership is that Google will leave Nintendo with hardware control, which is the key point of keeping Nintendo as we know them.

I've argued that very point on these forums. Google is an ideal "silent" partner for Nintendo provided they were to create an actual consumer tablet. 

Could work as a trojan to get Nintendo characters into people's life early on. The software has to be above Mario is Missing level for it to have a chance though.

Nice!

1doesnotsimply