By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo totally irrelevant? Xbox and PS duopoly?? (Home Consoles)

NiKKoM said:
When did toastboy get back? Anyway I expected a real slow 2014 with a lot of games still cross gen and in the eye of a lot of consumers not worth the upgrade..

this

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Third parties control the industry. Sony and Microsoft are merely pawns.

Yep.

Nintendo's disdain by 3rd parties is mostly because it won't just do what they want.

Been thinking a lot about this lately, even a lengthy discussion with Rol.

Frankly, the only way is for Nintendo to continue on its own. Rol's right.. ah that hurt... they need to focus on their gamestyle with lower priced consoles that are only ever sold at a profit.

Doing that, they may hit the occasional home run like Wii and sell 100m, but at least they'll always be making money, even on the 20m sellers.

Nintendo will never star a money-hate war its not good for the industry, and yep MS and SONY are Ubi's and EA's bitc*** Cuz Nintendo can, and live without third-parties, but could MS or SONY live without then? I dont think so.

I agree with everything toasty said, Wiiu is irrelevant

ps4 + Xbox1 are now the main console's, gaming on console's will be driven forward by these two NOT the Wiiu

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

The Wii U was released prematurely. I've concluded this because of how good their software lineup is looking for 2014 compared to the first year of it's life. If Nintendo launched this sucker right now, it would never have gone through a slump. I'm convinced that this holiday season and 2014 will be a year that most people will be stunned by (in a positive way sales wise).

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
toastboy44562 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I guess were pretending like the 3DS doesn't exist?

Home consoles only. I'm sure 3DS and PSV will both make money

Well SM3DW will give a nice boost to Wii U sales, but if you look at the upcoming big games on the Wii U almost all of them are coming out in 2014 so I expect the Wii U to really start picking up speed in 2014 with games like X, Batonetta, SSB, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Yoshi Yarn and I'm guessing Zelda U will be ready by holiday 2014.  Also Nintendo has a habit of announcing games and releasing them soon after in the same year so I expect a Nintendo direct in January with some newly revealed Wii U games that will come out later on in the year, of those games I expect Miyamoto's new IP.

There are really only two system sellers listed and that's SSB and Mario Kart. Do you honestly think casual gamers are going to upgrade from their wii just to play those if there are already on Wii? I'm not sure but I don't think they can justify spening 300 bucks to play Mario Kart if they can already play it with a more familiar controller. I highly doubt Zelda will be coming next year but that'd be cool if it did.

Donkey Kong is a system seller, Country on the Wii sold something like 6 million+ units and its a recognizable gaming figure that everyone knows.  Not every game has to be a huge system seller, if you look at Microsoft's 2014 lineup the only huge system seller is Halo 5, yes there is Quantum Break and stuff but that is hardly a huge system seller, with Nintendo having 3 big system sellers they are ahead of the competition.  Racing games like Mario Kart always tend to do well tbh, and I have to say Mario Kart 8 is more improved over its predecessor and has more gameplay additions than Gran Turismo 6 or Forza 5 so yes I think people will be willing to buy a Wii U over it.  Also Nintendo is the only one out of the big three to be coming out with any confirmed exclusive JRPGs in X and SMT x FE so that should help with the Japanese market, as far as I know all JRPGs on the PS4 can be bought on the PS3.  

osed125 said:
toastboy44562 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I guess were pretending like the 3DS doesn't exist?

Home consoles only. I'm sure 3DS and PSV will both make money

So Wii U won't make money?

lol

Skeeuk said:
I agree with everything toasty said, Wiiu is irrelevant

ps4 + Xbox1 are now the main console's, gaming on console's will be driven forward by these two NOT the Wiiu

Yes your right -_-

Every time i see Biased, it gets more and more obvious. Nintendo should just quit, like everybody been saying for decades now.  thank god you dont work for the video game industry

I don't see the Xbox selling as well as the PS4, especially in EU and Japan, so I think it will fall somewhere in between the Wii U and PS4. Of course, Nintendo still has the handheld market to fall back on.

toastboy44562 said:

It would seem the even though we are seeing holiday boosts from older generation systems the Wii U is actually losing sales week on week. Is this a bad sign for what is to come? With the PS4 skyrocketing the charts and Xbox one about to do the same we can expect Wii U sales to stagnate this holiday season.

PS4 will sell as many consoles as it ships; it already sold more consoles in 2013 than Wii U in North America. It is poised to do the same in Europe as well.

According to Microsoft and respectable regional retailers on this site the Xbox One will have similar opening day sales of that of the PS4. Similarly, Microsoft will sell every console they ship this year.

Xbox one and PS4 will both outsell the Wii U Q1 2014 despite Nintendo having a year head start. Do Microsoft and Sony control this industry? I expect lifetime sales of PS4 to be around ~120 Million and lifetime Xbox sales of ~90 Million. I expect the Wii U to place 3rd with about 20 million console sales.

I expect Xbox one to do extremely well in the United States and Western Europe. I think Microsoft will do solid in other parts of the world once it gets a price cut. I expect PS4 to do great in every region but not beating the Xbox One in the United States.

What do you guys think?

Nintendo is the company of my youth, and my favorite developer. Having said that, in this day in age, I believe the answer to your question is yes. The casual won the day for them last gen, or else it would have been the third straight gen without leading the market in home console sales. The SNES was the last time they were core gaming darlings, sales wise and that is now more than 20 years ago.

As far as Xbone beating PS4 in the states, I don't see it. PS4 is THE console, at least for now. They're going to have to royally screw up in order for Xbox to take the US back.