By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo totally irrelevant? Xbox and PS duopoly?? (Home Consoles)

Launch sales aren't indicative of a console's overall performance. Let's wait a few months before making any conclusions.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
RolStoppable said:
Third parties control the industry. Sony and Microsoft are merely pawns.

Yep.

Nintendo's disdain by 3rd parties is mostly because it won't just do what they want.

Been thinking a lot about this lately, even a lengthy discussion with Rol.

Frankly, the only way is for Nintendo to continue on its own. Rol's right.. ah that hurt... they need to focus on their gamestyle with lower priced consoles that are only ever sold at a profit.

Doing that, they may hit the occasional home run like Wii and sell 100m, but at least they'll always be making money, even on the 20m sellers.

I would love to be able to take part of that discussion, ive been thinking that for years and want to see both your thoughts about it.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

prayformojo said:
toastboy44562 said:

It would seem the even though we are seeing holiday boosts from older generation systems the Wii U is actually losing sales week on week. Is this a bad sign for what is to come? With the PS4 skyrocketing the charts and Xbox one about to do the same we can expect Wii U sales to stagnate this holiday season.

PS4 will sell as many consoles as it ships; it already sold more consoles in 2013 than Wii U in North America. It is poised to do the same in Europe as well.

According to Microsoft and respectable regional retailers on this site the Xbox One will have similar opening day sales of that of the PS4. Similarly, Microsoft will sell every console they ship this year.

Xbox one and PS4 will both outsell the Wii U Q1 2014 despite Nintendo having a year head start. Do Microsoft and Sony control this industry? I expect lifetime sales of PS4 to be around ~120 Million and lifetime Xbox sales of ~90 Million. I expect the Wii U to place 3rd with about 20 million console sales.

I expect Xbox one to do extremely well in the United States and Western Europe. I think Microsoft will do solid in other parts of the world once it gets a price cut. I expect PS4 to do great in every region but not beating the Xbox One in the United States.

What do you guys think?

Nintendo is the company of my youth, and my favorite developer. Having said that, in this day in age, I believe the answer to your question is yes. The casual won the day for them last gen, or else it would have been the third straight gen without leading the market in home console sales. The SNES was the last time they were core gaming darlings, sales wise and that is now more than 20 years ago.

As far as Xbone being PS4 in the states, I don't see it. PS4 is THE console, at least for now. They're going to have to royally screw up in order for Xbox to take the US back.

Not so sure about that. Microsoft Exclusives are aimed more toward Westerners. The 360 ismore popular than the PS3 in the United States. Kinect could be a casual hit as well as all the different TV aps and stuff.Microsoft will have to cut price though I agree. if they were both 400 dollars I think the One would win without a doubt.

Irrelevant is taking it a step too far. The Wii U will still be somewhat relevant, but its not going to be competing.

Expect a pretty major change for the next Nintendo console though, because the performance of Wii U simply wont be acceptable for Nintendo following on from the huge success that was Wii.

It's too early to say, as too much of the future success of PS4/X1 is based on how good the future Third Party support is. Third Party will only support Sony/Microsoft as long as it's good for themselves. If the option to make more money in a different direction away from PS4/X1 comes about they will have no hesitation to take it. Their little future for dedicated home consoles for either Sony/Microsoft systems without good Third Party support. Their are absolutely no guarantee that Third Party support will be as good as it is now for either Sony/Microsoft going into the future.

Around the Network

Since the Xbox is irrelevant in Japan and the PS4 will only launch next year, Nintendo has a huge opportunity to boost domestic sales. Especially with the new Mario. (Same thing happened with the 3DS)

Nintendo Irrelevant? I think I threw up in my mouth

It would be foolish to say Nintendo is "totally irrelevent" when they have more big franchises than any other company.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well it is not irrelevant to me and many others who enjoy Nintendo games. Actually to some it is the most relevant console. Nintendo reminds me of Pixar. There is a market for what they do. Nintendo need to start relying more on themselves to give their console new and more games. It is disappointing that they seem not to have comprehend this.

When you talk up third-party support as they did and it then fades away you are then made to look a bit stupid. It doesn't matter who is to blame.

Launch sales mean very little. Yes I can understand why people get all excited about it (as I do) but the reality is it is a small fraction of time in a console's life. I relate it in a way to music albums. The ones like Thriller and The Eagles GH never set the world alight on their debuts. It's the years ahead that matters. Let time tell.

I know Nintendo hardcore fans don't want to here this, but I think the Wii U is in a serious need of another price cut, and fast. Yes, I know the holidays season and SMW3D are gonna boost some sales, but in January Nintendo might find itself back in reality and go back to the "We're sure that SSB and MK 8 are gonna boost some sales" situation.

Now, I know that Nintendo is probably going to lose money on every console if they do this, BUT I think in the long term they're going to lose even more, if they don't do it. 3rd party developers might run away from them and most importantly, INVESTORS might run away from them if this situation continues.

So, to wrap things up, I think that if they absolutely cannot do a price cut, at the very least they should add more value to their console by throwing in more games into their bundles. But I think they need to do something, and fast.