By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony sells 1m PS3s in UK (faster than PS2)

Lightning08 said:
Bodhesatva said:

How can you read that and think it confirms undertracking? Chart Track says that the PS3 "is to hit" 1 million faster than the PS2. That would mean it hasn't yet.

Well, then it confirms the 360 being over-tracked. Chart track CLEARLY say that the PS3 has outsold the 360 for the last 4 weeks and was selling on par for the last 3 weeks of last week. Vgchartz does not say that... According to VGchartz the 360 outsold PS3 in UK every week.

It also means that the PS3 has to sell 150k in 4 weeks just to get to the mil mark and that will be at 50weeks. Odds of PS3 selling 150k in UK in 4 weeks? Yeah... I thought so.

Undertracked is the most logical outcome or Charttrack are full of crap. One or the other.

That part I agree with. It's quite possible there's some marginal disparity, but "PS3 undertracked by 250k" isn't likely. 

If you look here, you can see that Ioi had the PS3/360 within 3k of each other in January. Small discrepancies like that happen all the time. Chart Track clearly states that the PS3 has been outselling the 360 for the last 4 weeks, that doesn't seem spinnable or twisted in any fashion. The 1 million LTD sold to consumers? I see lots of chucking and jiving and fancy words, but no actual confirmation by Chart Track -- only confirmation by Sony, who could (and likely is) talking about shipped figures. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
According to chart-track, via OPM, the PS3 sold about 873k units in 2007, VG chartz has it down as 840k to now, and the total with Jan and the start of Feb with chart track figures, would put it on at least 950k, which makes more sense

Do you have a scan of that OPM article? I haven't heard of that figure before and it could explain the difference between chart-track and this site. Selling about 100k more units in December would put it close to 360 for the month and the 1M mentioned in this topic.

Same old story, some good news for the ps3, it sells 1 million and it does it quicker than the ps2 and 360 did yet so many people are quick to jump in and call it a lie without any conclusive proof. Ps3 should get a 150,000~ sales boost in the uk, unless it can be prooved otherwise.

DOATS1 said:
Bodhesatva said:

How can you read that and think it confirms undertracking? Chart Track says that the PS3 "is to hit" 1 million faster than the PS2. That would mean it hasn't yet.

well, it took ps2 50 weeks to sell 1 million units, right? vgchartz currently has ps3 out at 47 weeks. once again, according to vgchartz, ps3 needs to sell over 150k in 3 weeks, in the uk, for the statement to make sense anyway. whether it "is to hit", or already has.

PS2 sold 1 million to retailers in 50 weeks. It will top that, and will probably reach 1 million sold-to-consumers faster. It's likely the PS2 took, what, 5 or 10 extra weeks to go from 1 million sold-to-retailers to 1 million sold-to-consumers? Meaning at the 55-60 week mark? That would mean the PS3 has not 3, but 7-12 weeks in which to hit 1 million.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

koffieboon said:
Munkeh111 said:
According to chart-track, via OPM, the PS3 sold about 873k units in 2007, VG chartz has it down as 840k to now, and the total with Jan and the start of Feb with chart track figures, would put it on at least 950k, which makes more sense

Do you have a scan of that OPM article? I haven't heard of that figure before and it could explain the difference between chart-track and this site. Selling about 100k more units in December would put it close to 360 for the month and the 1M mentioned in this topic.

I can get one soon, probably

Around the Network

Once again we have confirmation that VGchartz is undertracking PS3 and overtracking 360 YET the PS3 gets lowered and 360 gets raised.

If we have no explanation, how can we consider this site reliable?

ioi, just a simple explanation of why Charttrack and NPD show you undertrack the PS3 and overtrack the 360, yet your adjustments are against the PS3. I'm not saying I believe all of that, but a stick or something explaining whats going on couldn't hurt, especially when you make drastic changes. I always defend VG on other sites, now im not so sure if doubters are wrong.

OK let me give my take. Wii - 38 weeks to 1 million (Chart Track) PS2 - 50 weeks to 1 million (Chart Track) Xbox 360 - 60 weeks to 1 million (Chart Track) Every article says Wii remains the fastest to reach 1 million in the UK. If the PS2 figure is from Chart Track as I think it is, then it means PS3 is on pace to reach 1 million by the end of week 50, which accounting for the PS3 launch in Europe, means by the week ending March 8, 2008 or the week ending March 15, 2008 (depends if you want to go by launch day or launch week). Chart Track's data is probably through February 9, 2008, which either means PS3 is at 1 million units sold (if Sony's PR is based on Chart Track - I find that unlikely) right now, or that within four/five weeks (at current rates) a million PS3 units will be sold in the UK. Within five weeks, VGC data would have PS3 at 920k or so for the UK, which would be less than 10% different of Chart Track sell through. If Sony is referring to shipments reaching 1 million in five weeks, the VGC data makes perfect sense - especially if the PS2 figure is shipments not sell through (and with the supply constrained PS2 launch - one is probably nearly equal to the other while sales for PS3 are probably more like .85-.88 of PS3 shipments). If Sony is celebrating 1 million in shipments, based on Chart Track sell through, then the VGC data is pretty accurate, with Chart Track 2-3% more optimistic on PS3 sales in the UK than VGC. The other scenario is the 1 million in 50 weeks for PS2 is shipped, with a lag time of 2-3 weeks for sell through, giving PS3 6-9 weeks to reach 1 million sold in the UK, which would be quite reasonable if Sony has shipped 1 million units right now.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Bodhesatva said:

At least, it hasn't hit by their standards -- which are sold-to-consumers. It has hit that mark by Sony's standard, though.

I don't want to get drawn into a pointless debate, but it actually states "hit" not "is to hit". I don't know if it has been misquoted, if people have misread it, or if the article has been recently revised, but it clearly states:

"The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2.  "

link 

NJ5 said:
MikeB said:
gebx said:
Every news report on this states SONY REVEALED, or SONY CONFIRMED.

GFK was not mentioned once. They are shipped numbers until otherwise confirmed.

Chart Track covers the UK and they have spoken in support of Sony's announcement, read the quotes from comments within this thread.

What I see is: The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 is to hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2. Notice the bolded part.

I noticed that the bolded part is different to the original article if that is what you meant.

Well it looks like the article has been updated.

"The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2."