By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which gameplay mechanic almost ruined a good game for you???

The gameplay mechanic that involves doing totally different missions on the same fucking map.

Around the Network

elderscrolls combat

novasonic said:
Taking care of Ashley in Resident Evil 4.

I was absolutely surprised how much of a non issue that was for me.

I have heard horror story after horror story how horrible the Ashley part (supposedly) is....and when I was done with RE4: Wii Edition I was like...."great game...but the Asley sections...? "

Whenever a FPS decides that it wants to be a platformer.

Oh my god. What the bloody hell.

I generally go rage mode. It's just so blindingly stupid. Crazy as it might sound, I didn't buy my shiny new FPS so I could awkwardly jump from platform to platform when I can't even see my own feet.

I recently got the Dragon's Keep DLC for Borderlands 2 and there are two spots where you have to do a lot of platforming. The first is very hard, though supposedly a Tiny Tina will spawn a bridge if you keep failing (I made it before that point). I was so pissed off. At least you weren't penalized for your deaths during that section. The other had these stupid moving platforms that went up and down and if you so much as brushed the ceiling, you died--and this part had the typical harsh cash penalty for death. I died four times, lost millions of dollars, and probably would have quit if I hadn't paid for the damn thing. And, of course, you have to go back the same way for another quest later.

Why they feel the need to throw these crap platforming section in, I have no idea.

pokoko said:

I actually like that!

Around the Network

Quick time events.
I hate it when people take the controller off me, it annoys me to no-end when the game keeps doing it!

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Wright said:
pokoko said:

I actually like that!

I have a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.  If you stop supporting platforming in FPS games now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you - but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will attach random animals to you with duct tape.

pokoko said:
Wright said:
pokoko said:

I actually like that!

I have a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.  If you stop supporting platforming in FPS games now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you - but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will attach random animals to you with duct tape.

That actually sounds exciting...depending on the animal you choose to duct tape me with, of course.

Not a huge deal breaker, but a big annoyance all the same.

In Rayman Origins you need to press the "run" button to run, like in a lot of 2D Platformers (Mario does the same). With that said, there's usually very little reason for someone to keep his thumb off the run button (as you can still stop on a dime). However, in Rayman Origins, when you press the "attack" button while holding down the "run" button, Rayman performs a lunging attack. I can't tell you how many times I've died or made a mistake due to me wanting to attack an enemy but instead lunging off the side of a platform because I was holding down the run button. Drove me crazy at times.

Thankfully Rayman Legends fixes this by making the lunge attack "forward" + "attack" button. So much more intuitive.

pauluzzz1981 said:

For me it's easy.

I played Mass Effect 1 and thought it was great!! The moment i became a spectre, wow.

Then i drove the MAKO for the first time. Ouch, wat a bummer that was. I couldn't handle it. The controls, the way the thing drove around on the planets. For me it felt like the ultimate dealbreaker~!!!

I almost didn't play the game anymore, but luckily the story was just too intense to let go.

So what's yours???

Really the Mako???  I actually enjoyed driving them around with the wierd physic that would change between the planets.

I think with the Mako's you can't really fight the system, you have to drive them the way the developer intended to have you drive them. Which was different from most game.

The first gamebreaker gameplay mechanic that I can think is GTA combat system..... eventually there would be a few missions that are so combat heavy that it just got frustrating even seemed broken at time. I would simply stop enjoying the game and never finish them.

The second one is quick scope in the Call of Duty online game, once some players figured it out they just abuse it like crazy.