By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which gameplay mechanic almost ruined a good game for you???

lilwingman said:
lestatdark said:
lilwingman said:

I'm on the fourth floor.  I definitely have not been prioritizing CP, I almost never use sleights, and I have a few premium cards, but I haven't gained an understanding of what they actually do.  Going into this game with little to no knowledge of the battle system, I find myself rather overwhelmed and under informed.  The mobs are easy enough but I find the bosses to be incredibly difficult.  I love the characters and world lore but obviously I'm doing a lot wrong and it's not nearly as easy to just pick up and play as the other games... I'll have to do some major grinding to try to build up some CP points, but I was at the point of shelving the game completely and you've reignited some interest, so my hat off to you good sir.

You'll reach a point in the game where the only thing you'll use are sleights, even if it's just to speed up the constant battles that the later floors throw at you. Bosses are hard to decipher, especially those with Gimmicks, like Ooogie Boogie, Trickmaster or Ursula, since you'll have to rely on breaks or High numbered cards to be effective against them.

Oogie Boogie actually forced me to create an exclusive deck for him, composed only of attack cards, four Hi-Potions and Cures, because anything other than that is pointless against him, even Sleights. 

The game really does a pretty poor job at informing you or at least throwing you some hints in the right direction and the difficulty spikes between floors really don't help in that department. It's only when you build a good deck and get a good grasp of the system that you really start to enjoy the game. Glad I could give you a renewed interest in it .

Edit - I completely forgot. Since you're on Floor 4, Roulette Map cards are going to be your best friend. Premium Map cards have a higher chance to spawn on Roulette on Floor 4 and 5, as well as Calm Bounty cards too. Just get a few of them, Premium most of your cards on Floor 4 and you'll have a large CP requirement drop on your deck pretty fast

I was able to struggle my way through Oogie Boogie with my non-existant battle strategy lol then Hades steam-rolled me multiple times and I was ready to frisbee the disc.  But you've talked me off the edge so I'm gonna take some time and level a bit and try to get some decent cards.  I'll let you know how it goes :).

Also just learned that premium cards can actually be reloaded with hi-potions... early in the game I had premiumed a bunch of my best attack cards, thinking it would be positive, and then cursed repeatedly when I discovered they disappear after being used and I had no idea you could get them back.  Thanks for letting me know, game designers!

The same happened to me. I would steer away from sleights and reloads as much as I could at first because I didn't want to lose my attack cards, and then learned that Hi-Potion reloaded them even if they had dissapeared from the deck during battle. You'd think the description of the card would be more helpful

That's why on latter stages my deck is usually filled with Elixirs and a Mega-Elixir. That way you can get back even Magic cards that had dissapeared too.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Update:

More gameplay mechanics:

drawing system, final fantasy 8

wolf segments, twilight princess

Combat in Gothic 3. If you are on stairs and the enemy is 1 step below he can hit you but you cant hit him because you always attack the air above his head.....

Same happens when you are on a little hill. There is no chance you can attack something thats below you.

That was so stupid. And also the fighting animations (they just look retarded)

Its LEFT STEP RIGHT STEP LEFT STEP RIGHT STEP (wtf)

Start at 1:00

Weapon condition in Fallout 3

Not only did you have to repair weapons but you either had to have the same weapon or go to a vendor who can do repairs. And if you got the Power Armor that was one of a kind you could only pay for repairs that capped at 60% for the best repairs guy.

Weapon condition also immediately started dropping off after the first shot.

Luckily Fallout New Vegas while not eliminating repairs, offered repair perks, repair kits and better repair vendors.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Breaking a weapon in Dark Cloud, and losing it completely. Gone. Who cares if you've spent literally the entire game building up to it.

It's all about the game.