By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best selling non Nintendo published game on DS is Cooking Mama

I don't think Cooking Mama is the best 3rd party game on DS.

The Others figure of 1.43 million might be too high. 505 Games (the European distributor) announced 1 million Cooking Mama games sold by Dec 2007. That figure included 3 different titles: Cooking Mama 1 and 2 on DS and Cooking Mama on Wii.

http://www.lucidlan.com/article.php?id=721
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/cookingmama2/news.html?sid=6183713

Going by this, I would estimate sales for the original Cooking Mama in Others at 800k max, which puts the total at no more than 1.8 million.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

At the present it is. It is a good game
do you think that mario and sonic is gonna out sell cooking mama??

YES MARIO and SONIC @ the Olympic games is third party

(sega)

reverie said:
I don't think Cooking Mama is the best 3rd party game on DS.

The Others figure of 1.43 million might be too high. 505 Games (the European distributor) announced 1 million Cooking Mama games sold by Dec 2007. That figure included 3 different titles: Cooking Mama 1 and 2 on DS and Cooking Mama on Wii.

http://www.lucidlan.com/article.php?id=721
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/cookingmama2/news.html?sid=6183713

Going by this, I would estimate sales for the original Cooking Mama in Others at 800k max, which puts the total at no more than 1.8 million.

According to the Gamespot article, they said the franchise hit 500k in August, then had just reached 1 million a few months later. That article was from Dec 6th. The article also stated that CM2 wouldn't be out in Europe until early 2008. CM2 had a very soft launch on America(just a few weeks before that article), and hardly sold anything in Japan. The Wii version, just like the original, has started off somewhat slowly(at least in America). I'm not saying the Others figure isn't too high, but I think it's probably closer than you may think. Considering the franchise had hit one million at the time of that article, and how Europeans love Mama, I think it's very plausible that CM sold a truckload during the holidays there.

I'm stoked that Mama is selling so well. Such a fun game to pick up and play. It's also good to see Taito have a hit on their hands. 

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Riot Of The Blood said:
It's a shame that more developers have not had similar success to Nintendo on the DS. There's a lot of money to be made on the DS, and it could really help devs fund their more expensive games.

That's what you get when you poke fun at the DS and ignore it until its too late.  Nintendo dominates on the market leader, whereas developers struggle to find a PSP game that the PSP owners actually want to buy.  If they wanted Nintendo-ish sales on the DS, they should have broguth more to the party than Ping Pals and Sprung at launch.

This is their bed.  They have to sleep on it.

I haven't played cooking mama for the DS, but cooking mama for the Wii is absolutely terrible. It belongs in the video game hall of shame (if there is one). totally undeserving of it's sales success.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

wow good for Majesco, didn't even picked up my copy yet

CM, what a game, immense storylines, great multiplayer features and loveable characters.

Although I personally think FF series on DS should take the cake. *sighs*, I guess you can't have it all

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
ameratsu said:
I haven't played cooking mama for the DS, but cooking mama for the Wii is absolutely terrible. It belongs in the video game hall of shame (if there is one). totally undeserving of it's sales success.

It's pretty much the same on the DS.

Except A) It's more fun with a stylus...provides better feedback when chopping up food and whatnot

B) The game's good for a quick pick up and play, much better suited on the DS.

Final Fantasy, Phoenix Wright, EBA, there's tons of better games in my opinion, but Cooking Mama's great for passing the DS around and showing it to friends.  I bought Cooking Mama 2 and haven't even played it yet, my sisters and friends are too busy playing it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )