By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesn't nintendo simply go with Wii 2 ?

IMHO, the name Wii U is simply the single most largest element that is influencing public perception of Wii U as a simple controller add-on for Wii. There are loads of anecdotal evidence all over the net about consumer buying WiiU games just to ask the next day why doesn't it work on Wii, that the sales personell doesn't know that they are two different consoles and so on.

Nintendo shouldn't have gone with the Wii U for several reasons:

- perception of the mainstream customer that letter addition to name = simple revision, while numeral difference = real succesor

-  U as a letter is a stupid addition to the name, some used conventions are "X" and "S"

- there were too many add-ons for Wii to consider the WiiU tablet controller the part of a new console

- Wii and WiiU share the similar looks

- Wii and WiiU share similar branding color scheme

- Wii and WiiU share same sound effects on video bumpers in commercials

- the U is made to look as a graphic icon and it is scaled down compared to letters "Wii"

So, it is establised that WiiU branding is a terrible and messy job. And it is more than evident on sales figures. So, why doesn't nintendo simply eat the humble pie and do a rebrand which would distance the new console further away from the Wii?

Around the Network

Personally, I thought Wii 2 (and to a lesser extent Super Wii) would have been better. I don't agree with a rebrand at this point though. That would increase the confusion.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

if they wanted to go back to a real console to attract core gamers

the first thing they should have done is not use that name

I really don't know what to suggest to them now, I guess they will just have to ride out the gen and see what happens

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

It doesn't care. Casuals are not interested in consoles anymore, at least in this moment. The system would sell like every Nintendo's home console before wii. Maybe better than N64 but just that.

Because putting a number after the name of your console is too mainstream for Nintendo.

Around the Network
Weedlab said:

Personally, I thought Wii 2 (and to a lesser extent Super Wii) would have been better. I don't agree with a rebrand at this point though. That would increase the confusion.

Yeah, it could be initially messy, but if they do it sensibly enough, it could be more effective in the long run.

too late, but at the same time if 3DS did it Wii U can.

They should call it Wii Zoo. Because people like zoos and such.

Anyways I think the "Wii" brand in general will be buried by Nintendo after this life cycle. 

Wii 2 would make too much sense.

So after a year on the market, are we still playing the "controller add on" game? Either this is false, and a excuse from Nintendo fans why Wii U is selling so bad, or Nintendo has the worst marketing team in history.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!