By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo pump out 1 Wii U exclusive per month in 2014 ?

Jumpin said:
Nintendo has been really struggling to get any software out on Wii U in the last year. Very different from the Wii where there were new games all the time.

I'm not sure if this is actually true. Looking back at the last three Nintendo consoles, this is their Nintendo software (published anyway) from launch November to their second November:

Wii (Nov.2006-Nov.2007) 10 titles

Wii Sports

Wii Play

Super Paper Mario

Metroid Prime 3

Fire Emblem

Mario Party 7

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Excite Truck

Super Mario Galaxy 

Zelda: Twlight Princess

Wii U (Nov. 2012-Nov.2013) 13 titles

Nintendo Land 

New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U

Pikmin 3

Super Mario 3D World

Wii Fit U (downloadable version)

LEGO City Undercover

The Wonderful 101

Mario & Sonic Sochii Olympics

Game & Wario

Wii Party U

Sing Party!

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

GameCube (Nov.2001-Nov.2002) 10 titles

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Luigi’s Mansion 

Pikmin

Wave Race: Blue Storm

Super Mario Sunshine

NBA Courtside 2002

Eternal Darkness

Star Fox Adventures

Mario Party

Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime

I didn't include Wii Sports Club for Wii U either, though I suppose I could. 

Around the Network
POE said:

ha, i was just being sarcastic. I HOPE they launch one game per month and this is what i think is the best way of action:

January: Nothing (Christmas games should have enough legs)
February: DK:TF
March: Nothing
April: Mario Kart 8
May: Yarn Yoshi
June: Bayonetta 2
July: X
August: Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
September: Nothing
October: "A Surprise"
November: Smash 4
December: "A Big Surprise"

Their best way of action would definitely involve Zelda U. Remember that they were about to show the game last E3, and they confirmed that they will show it at the next one.

AgentZorn said:
I don't think so. If they announce a new game in December/January it will probably be for 2015.

You do realize they (as with any other big video game company) are always working on titles they've yet to announce, yes? Nintendo has flat out said there are other Wii U titles in development that they have not yet officially revealed. No, not all of them will come out in 2014, but some of them surely will.

Soundwave said:

I'm not sure if this is actually true. Looking back at the last three Nintendo consoles, this is their Nintendo software (published anyway) from launch November to their second November:

Wii (Nov.2006-Nov.2007) 10 titles

Wii Sports

Wii Play

Super Paper Mario

Metroid Prime 3

Fire Emblem

Mario Party 7

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Excite Truck

Super Mario Galaxy 

Zelda: Twlight Princess

Wii U (Nov. 2012-Nov.2013) 13 titles

Nintendo Land 

New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U

Pikmin 3

Super Mario 3D World

Wii Fit U (downloadable version)

LEGO City Undercover

The Wonderful 101

Mario & Sonic Sochii Olympics

Game & Wario

Wii Party U

Sing Party!

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

GameCube (Nov.2001-Nov.2002) 10 titles

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Luigi’s Mansion 

Pikmin

Wave Race: Blue Storm

Super Mario Sunshine

NBA Courtside 2002

Eternal Darkness

Star Fox Adventures

Mario Party

Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime

I didn't include Wii Sports Club for Wii U either, though I suppose I could. 

The problem inherant in what you're trying to point out, is that no Nintendo console in their entire history, has ever had the kind of first party software drought Wii U has had in it's first year. The Wii U, for a six month span from Dec. 2012 through May 2013, published exactly ONE Wii U retail title themselves: Lego City. Their output within the first half of the year for Wii U was pathetic, and there is no excuse for it, nor any arguing the fact. They simply cannot allow that to happen again.

If Nintendo had bought Atlus, they could do it. What a missed opportunity

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
POE said:

ha, i was just being sarcastic. I HOPE they launch one game per month and this is what i think is the best way of action:

Their best way of action would definitely involve Zelda U. Remember that they were about to show the game last E3, and they confirmed that they will show it at the next one.

Of course, but i really don´t think that Zelda next year is even a posibility.

POE said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
POE said:

Of course, but i really don´t think that Zelda next year is even a posibility.

Despite me explaining how it is very much a possibility!

Zelda next year would be great but I'm skeptical that it can be done when you consider that FExSMT and Yarn Yoshi are unlikely to be out next year and have been in development for just as long if not longer. You'd think both of those games would have considerably shorter development periods.

On topic, I think Nintendo's best chance for next year is making sure the ~5 games they do release are TOP quality and heavily advertising exclusive indies to fill the gaps. If they manage to get games like A Hat in Time on the Wii U (and it's as good as it looks), why not make a big fuss about it? Release some TV commercials for it  and show off the unique and colourful experiences that Nintendo consoles can provide.

I hope their release schedule looks something like this...

Feb: DK Tropical Freeze - May: Mario Kart 8 - June: Bayo 2 - September: Smash - November: X

They'll probably have at least one other retail title to release, probably around November/December.

Purple said:

Zelda next year would be great but I'm skeptical that it can be done when you consider that FExSMT and Yarn Yoshi are unlikely to be out next year and have been in development for just as long if not longer. You'd think both of those games would have considerably shorter development periods.

Alright, so now what makes you think FExSMT and Yarn Yoshi wont release next year? Because you believe "insert another game here" wont release next year lol?

Purple said:

On topic, I think Nintendo's best chance for next year is making sure the ~5 games they do release are TOP quality and heavily advertising exclusive indies to fill the gaps. If they manage to get games like A Hat in Time on the Wii U (and it's as good as it looks), why not make a big fuss about it? Release some TV commercials for it  and show off the unique and colourful experiences that Nintendo consoles can provide.

I hope their release schedule looks something like this...

Feb: DK Tropical Freeze - May: Mario Kart 8 - June: Bayo 2 - September: Smash - November: X

They'll probably have at least one other retail title to release, probably around November/December.

They will release more than 5 games dude. They managed that this year, even amidst the drought, after all, and they realize they have a lot of ground to make up. And what honestly makes you think that Yarn Yoshi and FExSMT aren't coming out next year? Neither type of game takes ALL too long to make, Good-Feel especially, while a small company, is very effecient. Not to mention the fact that Kirby's Epic Yarn came out in 2010. That means they likely started development on this new game possibly sometime in 2011, or at LEAST 2012. Which would imply it should have had plenty of time to cook by now. The new Zelda, for that matter, may well wait till 2015, but it certainly could be a late 2014 title, seeing as it's been in development since the Skyward Sword came out, and a (rumored to be) rather large team is working on it, with the WW and now ALBW teams being added to it.

Point being, I have a feeling we'll see a healthy amount of games in 2014 because:

A) Nintendo knows they need to make up for the horrible delayed and game release drought that so negatively affected their new console in 2013.

and

B) They also know that until Wii U gets a larger install base, 3rd parties aren't going to commit too heavily, so they're going to have to carry a lot of the load themselves, and if they want new customers to want their console, they know they need to continue increasing the Wii U's libarary. 5 2014 releases would not cut it, in fact that would be pathetic, especially so early in a new console's life. They dropped the ball big time in 2013, regardless of whether or not they meant to let that happen. Do not expect them to do that again.