By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Amazon Customer Reviews for PS4 - Trolls or serious issues?

Rab said:
greenmedic88 said:

So... there are about 203 DOA PS4s out of close to 100k sold through Amazon

Wow, that's one hell of a leap to expect every unhappy customer to write a review

No, it's an even bigger leap to expect tens of thousands of unhappy customers with DOA consoles to not bother to say anything.

It goes without saying that these are tens of thousands of customers who bothered to pre-order a console and have a high probability of being core demographic gamers; the VERY type of customer who writes game related reviews. 

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
Only time will tell.

Even then, knowing any concrete numbers or percentages will be impossible. We still don't know how widespread the DRE's on the PS2 or the RRoD's on the 360 actually were, just estimates.

That being said, the problems are real. Hopefully they are truly isolated and not indicative of a larger problem.

I'm going to have to go with the wait and see approach. 

It's pretty easy to sort through FUD and determine who is really telling the truth. Given the high profile nature of the release and this new fangled thing called social media, word gets around pretty quickly among trusted circles. 

It's ridiculous to think that there are no problems; every piece of hardware has a rate of failure, however small. Of course it still boggles my mind that any hardware that's supposedly tested at the factory before being boxed and shipped could arrive DOA, assuming no damage in transit. 

MDMAlliance said:
Somini said:
MDMAlliance said:

I'm going to be honest and say that I have no idea how this says that Amazon has the most out of anyone else or how it says that Amazon has over 1m pre-orders for PS4 alone.  I didn't visit the links because I would assume that what you pasted had the information that "proves" it, but you didn't. 

That´s your problem, but denying they´ve quite some consoles is just denial on your part. I never mentioned anything about a million consoles. And amazon is more credible than you are.

I think you need to learn how to read, because the whole point of my post comes from the fact that I literally seen someone say that there was over 1 million pre-orders from Amazon.  Not only that, but your sources don't also say anything that refutes what I said.  The only hard number provided was an amount between TWO consoles in a matter of one minute.  It barely says anything.  My post wasn't about the reviews but solely on the amount sold by Amazon.  Stop trying to start shit.

What is it you think i'm trying to start? Why so angry and defensive?

I am merely pointing to the fact that Amazon has sold a lot of PS4's and that EVEN IF 200 of them are defective, it still wouldn't amount to much. No one is mentioning a million consoles sold via Amazon as that's not even possible.

greenmedic88 said:
Darth Tigris said:
Only time will tell.

Even then, knowing any concrete numbers or percentages will be impossible. We still don't know how widespread the DRE's on the PS2 or the RRoD's on the 360 actually were, just estimates.

That being said, the problems are real. Hopefully they are truly isolated and not indicative of a larger problem.

I'm going to have to go with the wait and see approach. 

It's pretty easy to sort through FUD and determine who is really telling the truth. Given the high profile nature of the release and this new fangled thing called social media, word gets around pretty quickly among trusted circles. 

It's ridiculous to think that there are no problems; every piece of hardware has a rate of failure, however small. Of course it still boggles my mind that any hardware that's supposedly tested at the factory before being boxed and shipped could arrive DOA, assuming no damage in transit. 

My guess is most of the reported cases are caused by the misaligned piece of metal in the HDMI port as reported by Kotaku.  Mine arrived and wasn't working.  Was about to call customer service when I saw the article on Kotaku.  Checked the HDMI port and sure enough, a tiny piece of the metal was lifted up when it should be laying flat.  Fixed it and now my PS4 is working just fine.

http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-our-once-broken-ps4-1464813671

Somini said:
MDMAlliance said:

I think you need to learn how to read, because the whole point of my post comes from the fact that I literally seen someone say that there was over 1 million pre-orders from Amazon.  Not only that, but your sources don't also say anything that refutes what I said.  The only hard number provided was an amount between TWO consoles in a matter of one minute.  It barely says anything.  My post wasn't about the reviews but solely on the amount sold by Amazon.  Stop trying to start shit.

What is it you think i'm trying to start? Why so angry and defensive?

I am merely pointing to the fact that Amazon has sold a lot of PS4's and that EVEN IF 200 of them are defective, it still wouldn't amount to much. No one is mentioning a million consoles sold via Amazon as that's not even possible.

Bold: That's where the problem is.  I wasn't talking about defective units at all.  My original post was ONLY about how many Amazon sold, and you posted an article that didn't answer the question I was posing as to why so many people thought that Amazon sold so many (based off of the 30 first posts I read).  I was wondering why people wouldn't refute anything about even the number of copies Amazon sold to begin with.  We don't have those numbers.

Around the Network

This is why you don't buy day 1

SexyMcSupermutant said:

My PS4 works fine. No problems whatsoever. Do not underestimate the persistance of Xbot CoD gamers that have nothing better to do with their time than to post a bunch of nonsense. This is my first post here..have been reading articles on here for quite some time. If you are worried about purchasing a PS4 and think there might be hardware problems with it I wouldn't worry. Seems like the people at IGN and Kotaku that had their PS4's fail was just a stroke of bad luck. Also I believe the Xbone will be relatively problem free, hardware wise. I can't imagine MS wants to extend the year warranty to 3 years again.  Sry the PS4's web browser doesn't like paragraphs.

Tell me how it's working 6 months from now.  XBox 360 was an utter failure, but that occurred sometime down the road, not day one like these people are experiencing.  What Sony did was forcing thier way to a superior setup, and a cheap cost - and it may cost them (I mean, US) in a high failure rate.

I avoided the first batch of PS4s and XBOnes for this reason, because these companies can't get it right without some trial/error.  I'm using logic and rationale instead of fanboy dedication, to avoid these consoles at launch, because these lemons and subpar console builds at launch are now a commonplace, which ends up being fixed in later itterations.  Happened last gen, even worse this gen.

Unacceptable.

Carl2291 said:
Youd think with a high DOA rate the media would be all over it... Maybe something wrong with a certain shipment?

Nobody is going to have reports in less than 24 hours on that high volume of people. Not even Sony can say anything yet.  Wait a couple weeks to see if it is true or not.

Sounds like the issue seems to be around the hdmi. They'll get it figured out but its starting to look like a pretty big problem.

TheEspionage said:
Carl2291 said:
Youd think with a high DOA rate the media would be all over it... Maybe something wrong with a certain shipment?

Nobody is going to have reports in less than 24 hours on that high volume of people. Not even Sony can say anything yet.  Wait a couple weeks to see if it is true or not.

Eh, with Twitter and Facebook you can be damn sure as hell that if the problems were as widespread as these Amazon reviews suggest then social media would have blown up with it by now.