By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone Shadow Fall metacritic FLOP CONFIRMED: 73 on 17 reviews

F0X said:
Didn't we already know that PS4 would have more FLOPS than the competition?

that's GOLD

Around the Network

Ahh drink some hater aid the system and game are not out yet. The fans like in the sony advertisement will determine this games fate. It's peoples opinions and there's no way to see if these views ate biased. So this thread is just another opinion!

F0X said:
Salnax said:

The 360, Vita, and PS3 admittedly lacked killer apps at launch, but having a killer app or at least a system seller at launch still seems to be the norm, if only because of new tech and awaited new entries in popular series.

Vita had Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which is the #1 retail game on the platform. That has to count for something.

I was considering including it on the list of "systems with big games at launch," but honestly, the Vita has had so few major games at all, it's hard to say that Golden Abyss is really that much of a killer app. Consider it borderline.

Love and tolerate.

I just removed the Polygon 50 score from the reviews and now KZSF has an average of 77 on metacritic...

It is far from being a flop guys, relax. ZombiU has a 77 and COD Ghosts 78.

outlawauron said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Xenobot said:

50 from Polygon

90 from Destructoid

Whom do I trust?

The one that doesn't have Arthur Geis

Or just trust Dale North. he's a good guy.

Absolutely..one of the more likeable gaming personalities in the industry for sure

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
A few things:

1) Polygon should just not be part of Metacritic anymore. They consistently give PlayStation games absurdly below average scores, and MS games way above average scores.

2) Overall Killzone's score is very disappointing to me as I was hoping for a 9.5.

3) I am insanely annoyed by IGN's scores. The reviewer says that it is the best Killzone ever and that it finally reached the series potential = 8?!?!?!?

Best game in the series, series finally reaches potential. 8/10

Not much difference from last years game. 9/10

I love video game journalism.

Salnax said:
STRYKIE said:
Salnax said:
What bothers me is that, even without anything resembling a killer app at launch, the PS4 will likely sell gangbusters. I have no problem with the PS4 winning the 8th gen, but I'd like it if Sony earned it.

Has any system in the last decade had a killer app at launch though? Even then, how many system before that were fully equipped with a killer app at launch?

Focusing on exclusives and new games...

Well, the Wii is the best example. Armed at launch in 2006 with the twin killer apps of Wii Sports, which would go on to become the most popular retail game of all time, and Twilight Princess, a game with very high reviews that generally praised its unique controls.

Other examples, though more arguable, include:

• The DS, which launched with Super Mario 64 DS, which is today the best selling handheld 3D platformer of all time, got good reviews at launch, showed off the DS's 3D prowess and touchscreen, etc.
  • The PSP, which launched with Lumines and Hot Shots Golf in Japan, and Ridge Racer worldwide. Hot Shots Golf was one of the few early PSP games that actually succeeded in Japan, Lumines was a highly rated exclusive suited for a handheld, and Ridge Racer was a pretty solid hit worldwide.
  • The 3DS launched with Nintendogs + cats. Now, that series has definitely dropped this generation, but over two and a half years later, it's still one of the top few best-selling 3DS games worldwide, and especially in Europe.
  • The Wii U is a bit weird. Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U have sold very well for a game on a nearly failing system. They might not quite be killer apps, but without them, there would be virtually no Wii U's sold. So that at least makes them system sellers.

The 360, Vita, and PS3 admittedly lacked killer apps at launch, but having a killer app or at least a system seller at launch still seems to be the norm, if only because of new tech and awaited new entries in popular series.

In contrast, the PS4 apparently has virtually no high quality major exclusives at launch. A downloadable twin stick shooter is great, but I doubt that's what's moving hardware.

The Xbox One, much as I hate to say it, at least seems to offer more unique major games. Bleh. Seriously though, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, and even Ryse all have the potential to be system sellers at least.

- Wii: Twilight Princess also being on the Gamecube, to be fair. Nobody foresaw the impact of the Wiimote at the time and were in no way obliged to get the Wii version instead. Wii Sports, I dunno, it demostrated that impact better than anoy other title, but I still think the Wii took off because it was the Wii, and it just so happened that Wii Sports was a pack in.

- PSP: Respectfully disagree, and yes, I'm aware of how popular Hot Shots Golf is in Japan.

- DS: Not sure about this one, it was a sufficient reason to buy the system, but sales were nothing out of the ordinary and didn't explode per se until NSMB (a game with almost zero emphasis on the touchscreen aside from the minigames, which weren't really advertised) + DS Lite. It's pretty much been just had strong legs ever since. You could argue that it's equivalent to what Uncharted has been on Vita.

- 3DS: I think that's because there was damn near nothing else for the system, with Nintendogs being the only identifyable DS-associated franchise, and I'm pretty sure SSF4 3D sold better intially.

- Wii U: Given the past NSMB games, I think it's fair to say it would've sold well over 5m+ by now if previous consumers perceived it as a true killer app. (although that's more down to Nintendo's non-elaborate advertising of the game)

Who knows, maybe my personal outlook on killer apps is a little demanding (Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast - nuking the Arcade version in every way thinkable and took 3D fighters to a whole new scale, Halo for the OG Xbox - a huge stepping stone for the fundamentals of multiplayer FPS on consoles today), and I'll admit, I don't strictly feel that way about all of those systems you mentioned, just rather why they weren't necessarily killer apps, but I wouldn't say it's some unprecedented sin for a system not to offer you exclusive-everything you ever wanted at launch and still did well, hell, the PS1 and PS2 got away with it. The PS3 had a more optimistic launch line-up at this point and was still portrayed as some agent of Satan by the media.

terrible reviews

i cant see the franchise continue past PS4(which im not sad about) its a launch title just like motorstorm and resistance where are they now?

Play Me

You you're outlook is too demanding.

Based on how awesome the launch was, the Dreamcast for me should have eclipsed pretty much any system that has been released since.

Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Toy Commander, Sega Rally 2 and a bunch of other pretty damn awesome games on release makes it all the more depressing that it crashed and burned :( Toy Commander alone would have been worth the cost of entry to me for any games console.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
You you're outlook is too demanding.

Based on how awesome the launch was, the Dreamcast for me should have eclipsed pretty much any system that has been released since.

Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Toy Commander, Sega Rally 2 and a bunch of other pretty damn awesome games on release makes it all the more depressing that it crashed and burned :( Toy Commander alone would have been worth the cost of entry to me for any games console.

A fighter, platformers and a Racing game.

Sounds to me like X1.