By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Discussion Thread (The Final Day!)

Scoobes said:
Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

Smeags inspired me to finally post a complete top 50. I think I have enlisted for many lists in the past but never posted a complete list until now. Christmas stress.

I try to represent all of my 30+ years of gaming. It's hard to compare old, primitive titles with modern advanced games, to strike that balance between being good for your time and simply being a good game no matter what you compare to.

A shout out to all the Oblivion lovers and all who have Age of Empires II on their lists.

Wow, you really love those Elder Scrolls!

Glad to see someone else with love for Bomb Jack

Oh, you have Bomb Jack too? It's so amazing. I still play it with my friend on his MAME emulator and HORI Arcade stick. It's so well balanced, and with the jumping/flying mechanism it was far before its time gameplay-wise. And amazing atmosphere, graphics and music. I'm happy someone else here appreciates it after all these years.

Btw, our gaming tastes are almost extremely similar. And covers 30 years of quality gaming.

(it feels a lil stupid to have my top 3 from the same game series, but it is what it is. To an Elder Scrolls lover its natural to rank several Elder Scrolls games as their best games)

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Scoobes said:
Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

Smeags inspired me to finally post a complete top 50. I think I have enlisted for many lists in the past but never posted a complete list until now. Christmas stress.

I try to represent all of my 30+ years of gaming. It's hard to compare old, primitive titles with modern advanced games, to strike that balance between being good for your time and simply being a good game no matter what you compare to.

A shout out to all the Oblivion lovers and all who have Age of Empires II on their lists.

Wow, you really love those Elder Scrolls!

Glad to see someone else with love for Bomb Jack

Oh, you have Bomb Jack too? It's so amazing. I still play it with my friend on his MAME emulator and HORI Arcade stick. It's so well balanced, and with the jumping/flying mechanism it was far before its time gameplay-wise. And amazing atmosphere, graphics and music. I'm happy someone else here appreciates it after all these years.

Btw, our gaming tastes are almost extremely similar. And covers 30 years of quality gaming.

(it feels a lil stupid to have my top 3 from the same game series, but it is what it is. To an Elder Scrolls lover its natural to rank several Elder Scrolls games as their best games)

Bomb Jack is one of the most addictive game's I've ever played. I played it to death (literally, we stretched the tape so it wouldn't read anymore!). It's the only game my mother has ever played (and regularly at that). She hasn't even touched a Wii. The platforming and hovering mechanics were just solid and made you want to keep playing, not to mention the desperate rush to get those sparkling bombs for a bonus!

I hear you when you say it's difficult to compare older games to new ones so this year I adopted MrKhan's scoring system. I scored games based on the score I would have given it it at the time, a score on how well its aged (as objectively as possible), a 'nostalgia' score (for how memorable for me) and a 'time' score for how many hours I put into it. Then I took an average of the four. It seemed to work pretty well and Bomb Jack ended up at 37, maybe should have given it a higher 'time' score so it might be higher next year.

The elder scrolls I found difficult to score because every year there seems to be a range of cool mods for each one. Even Morrowind still has them releasing so I can't blame you for having them as your top 3. Everytime I play one of them with a great new mod they seem fresh.

And yes, you have very good taste in games

'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess'

for the Nintendo GameCube released in 2006 as played on Nintendo Wii.

'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess' is an epic game. One of the best past-times in this game is running around the vast Hyrule Field on horseback. In the game, your trusted friend Epona will lead you almost anywhere. The world is so huge, that it takes about a half-hour to run around the fields once, journeying past all the beautiful vistas. Oh, the feeling of freedom.

But there's more. Being a Zelda game, it is one of Nintendo's more story-focussed games. And the story here is more than satisfying with interesting characters, emotional moments, nice pacing and the best cutscene in any game of all time. Also, the tone of the game fits it perfectly. The balance was just right and everything in the game is in tune and the design polished to perfection. Such beauty, such passion.

For the series, this game features the best dungeon design ever. They are all huge with original themes. Including massive, jawdropping halls and mindboggling puzzles and infested with hundreds of enemies. Some dungeons can take hours to complete, even to those that played them before. It's just how I like it. The bosses definitely don't disappoint either, they're a tad easy, but they are all the most inventive bosses I've seen in any video-game, and it contains the coolest final act of the Zelda series. I don't get why some people don't like this game?

#10 Hint:

A long time ago, before I was a complete pro at this game, I couldn't figure out something as simple as how to make high walls. Turns out one just had to hold the shift-button.

11. Super Mario World (17 last year) first impression 9, replay 8.5, technical 10.

Pros: Superlative game all around, one of very few on my list to get a 10 on the technical side, the game just did almost everything right. Phenomenal postgame content, so many levels to explore, hidden exits galore, and the strongest post-game of any Mario game (until 3D World came along, anyway. Next year shall be interesting).

Cons: Keeping it out of the top 10 is almost exclusively boss battles. They did not sing quite as clear as other Mario games, which impacts first impression. Replay flails a little too, as once you've done all that doing, you're not as motivated to go back and do more.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Number 10 showed just how much hype a daily blog can create.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

To have some suspense here's my first 25... I made a better list but I lost it so here's one. I probably forgot some games, but it's okay.
I'll update other list, and then post the other 25 tommorow :D

25) Parasite Eve
26) Planescape Torment
27) Silent Hill 2
28) Resident Evil 5
29) Wipeout HD: Fury
30) Final Fantasy VII
31) Morrowind
32) Trails in The Sky
33) Dragon Quest V
34) Shadow Hearts: Covenant
35) The World Ends With You
36) SMTIII: Nocturne
37) Bioshock
38) Final Fantasy IX
39) Final Fantasy XIII-2
40) Tomb Raider Underworld
41) The Witcher
42) The Witcher 2
43) Persona 4
44) Punch Out
45) Valkyria Chronicles
46) Batman Arkham Asylum
47) The 3rd Birthday
48) Hitman Absolution
49) Zelda Skyward Sword
50) Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light

This is just a droplet. The flood comes later.

Sorry it took so long to get these up.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Sorry I've been MIA for so long! Had to come back for the top 10, though :)

Hint for #10:

GameSpot just awarded the sequel to this game GOTY.

Here are the games I skipped over, by the way:

36. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
35. The Legend of Zelda
34. Halo 2
33. Beyond Good & Evil
32. Metroid: Zero Mission
31. Tetris
30. Tomb Raider II
29. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
28. Super Mario Galaxy
27. GoldenEye 007
26. Super Street Fighter II
25. Banjo-Tooie
24. Final Fantasy VII
23. SoulCalibur
22. BioShock
21. Psychonauts
20. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
19. Perfect Dark
18. Metal Gear Solid
17. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
16. Super Mario World
15. Metroid Prime
14. Ico
13. Banjo-Kazooie
12. Super Mario Bros. 3
11. StarCraft

Mr Khan said:
Number 10 showed just how much hype a daily blog can create.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Signature goes here!