By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Discussion Thread (The Final Day!)

S.Peelman said:
Scoobes said:
Clue for #12:

The first game of a now-defunct developer who were well known for their PC games but whose last title was an Xbox 360 game.

Age of Empires

Yep!

12. Age of Empires + Rise of Rome Expansion (PC)

The original Age of Empires is my highest rated RTS game. It might not have been as amazing in multiplayer as Age 2 and it might not have the outrageous units of Age of Mythology but there's an old school charm to this game... or maybe it's just because it was my first RTS! This and the original Starcraft came out at similar time, and they were both fantastic introductions into the RTS world.

Part of what made me enjoy this so much though was the setting. Guiding a civilisation from its early roots to the height of an empire really struck a cord with me, more so than the sequels. It is part of a small collection of games that must always be installed on my PC for instant access when I have that nostalgic feeling and it actually still holds up pretty well for a game that is over 15 years old. The graphics are obviously dated (although not as much as you might think) and the AI frustrating by todays standards, but the perfectly balanced gameplay of the Age of Empires series doesn't age.

The Rise of Rome expansion also added 4 new civilisations including Rome and Carthage, some extra defensive units to balance the game further and upped the population limit for multiplayer to 200 from 50.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:

Since the last four were so easy, here's a slightly harder one:

12: An extremely pleasant surprise with a brilliant mindfuck of an ending which set up a great backstory that was kind of ruined by later games in the series.

Possibly Metal Gear Solid 2?

Or maybe F.E.A.R

More recent than either. The rate at which games in this series are released was increased after this game.

Assassins Creed 2?

soulfly666 said:

Clues
12: The second best NES game of all time and a part of one of the most popular series ever made.  Was considered by many to be the best game in the entire large series' catalog but a more recent entry has won over many of those people.

11. The 3rd entry in a series by my favorite game dev company and person. Many consider him to be the most prolific programmer in gaming history and my top 11 features 4 of his games. It featured unique launchpads that added a new element to gameplay and would launch you sometimes great distances to a new platform.  Is still a quite popular game today.  While the first 2 games were also amazing and well received by critics and fans, the 4th entry was widely considered the weakset of the series.  As with the first 2 games, this game's engine went on to be utilized in many other successful games.

11- Quake III Arena?

Scoobes said:
soulfly666 said:

Clues
12: The second best NES game of all time and a part of one of the most popular series ever made.  Was considered by many to be the best game in the entire large series' catalog but a more recent entry has won over many of those people.

11. The 3rd entry in a series by my favorite game dev company and person. Many consider him to be the most prolific programmer in gaming history and my top 11 features 4 of his games. It featured unique launchpads that added a new element to gameplay and would launch you sometimes great distances to a new platform.  Is still a quite popular game today.  While the first 2 games were also amazing and well received by critics and fans, the 4th entry was widely considered the weakset of the series.  As with the first 2 games, this game's engine went on to be utilized in many other successful games.

11- Quake III Arena?

You got it.

Clue for 11:

This is the highest new entry. An unlucky number and Kantor.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:

12: An extremely pleasant surprise with a brilliant mindfuck of an ending which set up a great backstory that was kind of ruined by later games in the series.

Or maybe F.E.A.R

More recent than either. The rate at which games in this series are released was increased after this game.

Assassins Creed 2?

Correct

Do you agree with my high opinion of the ending? It's far from unanimous; many people seem to think that the problems with AC's story started there, rather than with the complete mess of a "conclusion" that was AC3.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:

Or maybe F.E.A.R

Assassins Creed 2?

Correct

Do you agree with my high opinion of the ending? It's far from unanimous; many people seem to think that the problems with AC's story started there, rather than with the complete mess of a "conclusion" that was AC3.

Have you played 4?  I think it is the GOTY.

'Call of Duty'

for the PC released in 2003.

If this list were a 'Top #100', there'd be many sequels in the 50-100 ranks. The sequel to this game is no different. 'Call of Duty 2' deserves to be mentioned, as it was the last good 'Call of Duty' game (it was great actually). The third was decent, but already a step down. This first 'Call of Duty' though, simply named so, was a stroke of brilliance. Usually, I don't care whether or not something 'sells out', but Call of Duty today, is a far cry from this first game, when inspiration, dedication and soul were still poured into it during development.

There had never been, or has been since, a game that displays the struggles of World War II so passionately and realistically as this game does, from the events to the graphics and tone to the music, and it rivals with some of the best movies about the era. The story of the game is no 'Band of Brothers', but because most missions are based on real-life events it does have the same feeling, and the feeling is good, it's epic and it's emotional almost.

On top of that, the game has, to me, perfect gameplay mechanics as a first-person shooter. In fact, the best that can be found in the genre. The weapons even all have a distinct 'character', as the player can grow to hate a weapon because it doesn't really 'click' you want it to, while to another player it can be their weapon of choice. I don't like online-multiplayer, but this game actually got me to do that, and not just once either. A greater testiment to how great 'Call of Duty' is, couldn't be found.

#11 Hint:

There was unbelievable enthousiasm, literally, when this game was first revealed. Too bad it took another two years before it got released, but at least it certainly didn't disappoint!

soulfly666 said:
Kantor said:
Scoobes said:

Assassins Creed 2?

Correct

Have you played 4?  I think it is the GOTY.

Not yet, but it's on my list.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
Kantor said:

Or maybe F.E.A.R

Assassins Creed 2?

Correct

I thought the ending opened up a lot of cool possibilities and potential that was wasted by the time we got to AC3 (which was disappointing for a range of reasons, not just the rather lame finale). To be honest though, Ezio's overall personal story was more interesting to me than overarching plot. Still, it could have been so much more than the way they ended it in 3.

I haven't played 4 yet so they may redeem themselves