By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Discussion Thread (The Final Day!)

soulfly666 said:

Clues
12: The second best NES game of all time and a part of one of the most popular series ever made.  Was considered by many to be the best game in the entire large series' catalog but a more recent entry has won over many of those people

Super Mario Bros 3?

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Hints

15. Platformer where different modes were unlocked after beating the game. They altered the characters stats sort of like a different class type. The other modes were warrior, magician, thief, and shooter.  Castlevania Circle of the Moon

14. This story heavy game has a lot of platforming despite it's genre. It's not a Nintendo game, but the developer is Nintendo owned.  Xenogears

13. The first game in this very large franchise that was completely different from the rest.  Final Fantasy Tactics

New hints.

12.  First game in the franchise to appear on a new console.  The first game was published in the west by Squaresoft, but is not a Squaresoft game nor was it developed by Squaresoft.  All other titles in the series were published by the developer. 

50. Alan Wake

49. Bubble Bobble

48. Bioshock

47. Assassin's Creed

46. Zelda Ocarina of Time

45. Dragon Age 2

44. Empire Earth

43. Dante's Inferno

42. Millennium 2.2

41. Dead Space

40. Half-Life 2

39. Pirates!

38. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

37. The Sentinel

36. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

35. Assassin's Creed 2

34. Heretic

33. BF: Bad Company 2

32. Archon II

31. Dark Forces

30. Heroes of Might & Magic 2

29. Vanquish

28. Fallout 3

27. Black Tiger

26. XCOM: Enemy Unknown

25. Jedi Knight

24. Gun Smoke

23. Age of Mythology

22. Heretic II

21. Dragon's Dogma

20. Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within

19. Mount & Blade

18. Dune 2

17. Return to Castle Wolfenstein

16. Conquests of Camelot

15. Boulder Dash

14. Bomb Jack

13. Warlords

12. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

11. Demon's Souls

10. Lords of the Realm 2

9. Dragon Age: Origins

8. Dark Age of Camelot

7. Red Dead Redemption

6. Warlords 2

5. Dark Souls

4. Age of Empires II

3. Skyrim

2. Morrowind

1. Oblivion

-------------------------------------------------

Comments? Feedback?

Smeags inspired me to finally post a complete top 50. I think I have enlisted for many lists in the past but never posted a complete list until now. Christmas stress.

I try to represent all of my 30+ years of gaming. It's hard to compare old, primitive titles with modern advanced games, to strike that balance between being good for your time and simply being a good game no matter what you compare to.

A shout out to all the Oblivion lovers and all who have Age of Empires II on their lists.

Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

I don't like your top three games, (I like them, but I wouldn't have put them there), but I can understand how stressful is to compact 30 years of gaming into a top 50 list. I didn't like my list because I felt it truly didn't represent what I have played in 14 years of gaming. I like almost any game you've listed, and you have variety in your list, which is great. (Dat Dragon's Dogma, man. You must have loved it!)

I also find interesting how you could find Morrowind better than Skyrim, but worse than Oblivion ;)

Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

Your list has a lot more variety than mine.  My list is on page four if you want to go look at it.  I have a little variety, but there are two genres that fill most of the list.

A lot of games on your list that I like though, and while I far from agree with your top three, I do agree that they're good games and that the order you've placed them is the order I'd place them.  I recently started playing Skyrim, 20 or so hours in, and while combat is better  than the other two, dungeons are designed better, the world is designed a lot worse and the dialogue while good is also much worse.  The worse part about Skyrim is the ridiculous balance.  Humans, dragons, undead, etc, are way too easy, while most animals  on the world map are going to rape you in two hits.  Giant frostbite spider, giants, mammoths, sabertooth.  Oblivion may have a crappy level system but I like the games balance, not too easy or difficult, and difficulty isn't all over the place.

I've mentioned on this forum that I think God of War is praised as much as it is because it's an exclusive while Dante's Inferno is bashed because it's a new IP that's developed by EA, but is a better game than any of the God of War games.  It's not on my list, but it's on your list, so nice that there's someone else that agrees with me.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

Smeags inspired me to finally post a complete top 50. I think I have enlisted for many lists in the past but never posted a complete list until now. Christmas stress.

I try to represent all of my 30+ years of gaming. It's hard to compare old, primitive titles with modern advanced games, to strike that balance between being good for your time and simply being a good game no matter what you compare to.

A shout out to all the Oblivion lovers and all who have Age of Empires II on their lists.

Wow, you really love those Elder Scrolls!

Glad to see someone else with love for Bomb Jack

Wright said:
Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

I don't like your top three games, (I like them, but I wouldn't have put them there), but I can understand how stressful is to compact 30 years of gaming into a top 50 list. I didn't like my list because I felt it truly didn't represent what I have played in 14 years of gaming. I like almost any game you've listed, and you have variety in your list, which is great. (Dat Dragon's Dogma, man. You must have loved it!)

I also find interesting how you could find Morrowind better than Skyrim, but worse than Oblivion ;)

Why didn't you like your own list? Because it's hard to rank and compare so many favorite games? Yeah it is. And then what if you forgot one very good game from the past, God forbid.

Your taste in gaming is very similar to mine. Many HD games, Western games, epic games.

Yes, Dragon's Dogma. Biggest surprise in many years and my personal GOTY 2012. At the time I was playing it I had it ranked in my top 10 All time but you know afterwards when you get perspective on stuff, but almost cracking the top 20 is still a strong position for a game I thought looked like a joke in trailers.

kupomogli said:
Slimebeast said:

Comments? Feedback?

Your list has a lot more variety than mine.  My list is on page four if you want to go look at it.  I have a little variety, but there are two genres that fill most of the list.

A lot of games on your list that I like though, and while I far from agree with your top three, I do agree that they're good games and that the order you've placed them is the order I'd place them.  I recently started playing Skyrim, 20 or so hours in, and while combat is better  than the other two, dungeons are designed better, the world is designed a lot worse and the dialogue while good is also much worse.  The worse part about Skyrim is the ridiculous balance.  Humans, dragons, undead, etc, are way too easy, while most animals  on the world map are going to rape you in two hits.  Giant frostbite spider, giants, mammoths, sabertooth.  Oblivion may have a crappy level system but I like the games balance, not too easy or difficult, and difficulty isn't all over the place.

I've mentioned on this forum that I think God of War is praised as much as it is because it's an exclusive while Dante's Inferno is bashed because it's a new IP that's developed by EA, but is a better game than any of the God of War games.  It's not on my list, but it's on your list, so nice that there's someone else that agrees with me.

What are all those games on your list? I don't recognize even half of them maybe. Mostly CRPGs or JRPGs? It's a wonder you agreed with anything on my list lol.

God of War 3 was great but yes, Dante's Inferno is better. Gameplay-wise they're about equal but the atmosphere, story and the whole adventure in Dante's Inferno was fantastic. I'm sad we haven't heard anything about a potential Dante's Purgatory yet (probably because the sales of Inferno sucked).

Slimebeast said:

for a game I thought looked like a joke in trailers.

It was a joke. It is a wonder how Capcom pulled a game of the Old-School Capcom. Hell, it isn't even milked with microtransactions and DLC and skins. Only one DLC that justifies more than enough its price.

Slimebeast said:

What are all those games on your list? I don't recognize even half of them maybe. Mostly CRPGs or JRPGs? It's a wonder you agreed with anything on my list lol.

Mostly JRPGs and platformers, all console games but a few which are multiconsole and PC.  It's only a top 50, so there's a lot of games I've played that I really like and haven't listed.  A top 50 list is pretty hard to make because lets say you'd rate 100 games similarly, but you prefer a certain genre over another.  Maybe next year I'll limit my list to have only five games per genre.  That way my list will have more variety.