By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Wii U, 3DS Lifetime Sales Predictions

Will Nintendo 3DS outsell its predecessor?

Yes 121 35.28%

No 220 64.14%

Total:341

3DS minus/plus 100 million
WiiU min/max 20/40 million

Around the Network

I'd say:

3DS - 90-100million
Wii U - 45-50 million (I still believe it'll pick up at the end of the month and in 2014)

Signature goes here!

3DS: 135M
Wii U: 80M

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

WiiU - 35Million
3DS - 90Million

3DS : 110 m
Wii U:35m

Around the Network

(Irrelevant)
This is how it should go for 3DS next year
Professor Layton X Ace Attorney
Bravely Default
Kirby 3DS
Mario Golf 3DS
Yoshi new Island
Smash Bros
IronFall gets a physical release
Monster Hunter 4 gets localized
2D Metroid
I hope >.

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
The 3DS hasnt peaked lol.

It has lol.

How do yo even kno that? U can see the future? Just because pokemon XY+MH4 came out in one year doesn't mean its at its peak. We cant say for sure in which year it will be at its peak, 2013 definitely looks most promising but we dont kno if 3DS can have another model for example and sales explode!

Also pokemon will have more titles and Capcom is desperate so i could see them do a MH5 game in 2015 or 2016. But Im not 100% sure cuz i dont have a crstal ball, but neither does you or anyone else.

You're forgetting that AC:NL also came out in the west this year. And one Mario and one luigi game. All the top selling DS games have already got a sequel released already. Simple logic - a sequel to Pokemon in 2 years won't push as much hardware as the recently released Pokemon.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
The 3DS hasnt peaked lol.

It has lol.

How do yo even kno that? U can see the future? Just because pokemon XY+MH4 came out in one year doesn't mean its at its peak. We cant say for sure in which year it will be at its peak, 2013 definitely looks most promising but we dont kno if 3DS can have another model for example and sales explode!

Also pokemon will have more titles and Capcom is desperate so i could see them do a MH5 game in 2015 or 2016. But Im not 100% sure cuz i dont have a crstal ball, but neither does you or anyone else.

You're forgetting that AC:NL also came out in the west this year. And one Mario and one luigi game. All the top selling DS games have already got a sequel released already. Simple logic - a sequel to Pokemon in 2 years won't push as much hardware as the recently released Pokemon.

Yea but like i said we dont kno wat games come out 2014-2018. Its about overall nt just one boost. Example look at last year sales vs 2011 sales for 3DS. 2011 had SM3DL+MK7+LoZ OoT. Those 3 (especially the first two mentioned) are morrrrrre of a system seller than wat came out last year right? so why lower sales? Ex: What if 2016 thy have MH5+Pokemon(generation 7)+DQXI+Mario Game+Etc+etc...? THOSE Games wont push as much as SM3DL or MH4 but the push of all together can make a difference! Also Nintendo+Sony have hardware revisions out of nowhere, like how 2DS popped up. All im saying is yes it looks like this years 16mil+ 3ds might be at its peak but that still might be overthrown by another years lineup!

tbone51 said:

Yea but like i said we dont kno wat games come out 2014-2018. Its about overall nt just one boost. Example look at last year sales vs 2011 sales for 3DS. 2011 had SM3DL+MK7+LoZ OoT. Those 3 (especially the first two mentioned) are morrrrrre of a system seller than wat came out last year right? so why lower sales? Ex: What if 2016 thy have MH5+Pokemon(generation 7)+DQXI+Mario Game+Etc+etc...? THOSE Games wont push as much as SM3DL or MH4 but the push of all together can make a difference! Also Nintendo+Sony have hardware revisions out of nowhere, like how 2DS popped up. All im saying is yes it looks like this years 16mil+ 3ds might be at its peak but that still might be overthrown by another years lineup!

So, you're saying that Nintendo can create a new franchise that will be bigger than those from which games have already been released?

And actually, the 3DS sold more in 2011 than 2012.

This is the 3DS' peak. Enjoy it.

They've thrown every type of Mario (and Luigi) at it plus Monster Hunter 3G + 4 and Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing and even tried to Nintendogs/cats + Brain Training stuff and had some OK third parties take a shot with Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil. Zelda will be on it by year end too.

On top of three hardware versions (OG, XL, 2DS) and more special editions/color variants than you can throw a stick at. 

Things like Kirby and Diddy Kong Racing I can see popping up on the 3DS, but these aren't going to radically impact hardware sales. Dragon Quest XI I think is coming to 3DS, but probably to mobile also. That should cause a boost in Japan, but not really anywhere else