By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 sold more than 158.6M lifetime

Turkish said:
Lawlight said:
Turkish said:
Lawlight said:

With the recent announcement of PS3 LTD sales, we now know that the PS2 sold at least 158.6M.

Will these numbers ever be surpassed?

Interesting, how did you come to that number? Too early in the morning to do math sorry :P

I'm glad you asked :)

The PS3 sold 80M as of the 2nd of November.

PS2 sold 155.1M as of March 2012.

PS2 + PS3 sold 16.5M from April 2012 to March 2013.

PS3 sold 63.9M as of March 2012.

PS3 sold 3.1M from April 2013 to September 2013, which means that it sold 13M from April 2012 to March 2013 and October 2013.

That above means that, assuming that 0 PS3s were sold in October 2013, 3.5M PS2s were sold from April 2012 to March 2013.

155.1M + 3.5M = 158.6M

That's the least the PS2 sold assuming 0 PS3 were sold in October 2013.

Real amount sold = 158.6M + no. of PS3s sold in October 2013. A rough estimate of that would 0.65M which would lead to 159.25M PS2s sold.

Thanks man, I'll check on the numbers in the evening but they look good. If 3.5M PS2s were sold last FY, the console sold ~ much as the previous FY, its not dying!

No problem :)

Around the Network

I don't think it can be beaten! Maybe somewhere in the future when someone releases a revolutionary console.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
DS almost sold that much I think

When you think about how many phat PS2's died because of the cheap drive  you realize that a ton of PS2s were just bought to replace broken ones, millions bought a PS2 solely as a super cheap DVD player etc. then basically the DS already won in  "bought for gaming" and "bought because wanted   not had to(replace old one)" terms.

Btw Does anyone know specifics about all those  "PS2 free with phone contracts"?

Does the PS2 count as sold when the"phone contract company" gets the PS2 (since they buy it?) or is it just sold when a customer signed the contract and gets the console?  In Europe millions of PS2s were bundled with phone contracts. (I got my slim that way and it still works like a charm had to replace my broken PHAT that died due to DISK READ ERROR bullshit)

JazzB1987 said:

When you think about how many phat PS2's died because of the cheap drive  you realize that a ton of PS2s were just bought to replace broken ones, millions bought a PS2 solely as a super cheap DVD player etc. then basically the DS already won in  "bought for gaming" and "bought because wanted   not had to(replace old one)" terms.

Same can be said about the current gen consoles. Also comparing home consoles and handhelds is silly.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

JazzB1987 said:

Btw Does anyone know specifics about all those  "PS2 free with phone contracts"?

Does the PS2 count as sold when the"phone contract company" gets the PS2 (since they buy it?) or is it just sold when a customer signed the contract and gets the console?  In Europe millions of PS2s were bundled with phone contracts. (I got my slim that way and it still works like a charm had to replace my broken PHAT that died due to DISK READ ERROR bullshit)

PS2 sold 40M+ when DVDs were already dirt cheap and disk reading error has already been fixed. The reason why PS2 outsold DS (and it keeps on selling while the DS is completly dead) is because Sony knows how to support their consoles for a long time + PS2 selling for cheap in developing markets.

Oh there's also undisputedly the best library of games on any system ever made.

Around the Network

ps2 is the best

JazzB1987 said:

When you think of how many DSes were broken in half you realize that a ton of DSes were just bought to replace broken ones.

You can play that game with any device. Btw, considering that the PS2 sold waaaaaay more software than the DS you could argue that actually more PS2s were bought for gaming.

As for "when is it sold"? It's when a different company (retailers or phone companies - it doesn't matter) orders it and doesn't send it back.

Lafiel, you're wrong. The more PS3s sold in October means less PS3s sold in FY 2012 which means more PS2s sold. Think about it - the numbers are all there. 158.6M is the least the PS2 sold. We have to add how many units the PS3 sold to the 158.6M to get the actual PS2 number.

PS2 really was a golden era in gaming for me. Congrats to PS2! So close to 160M.

JazzB1987 said:

Lolwut? You mean like just about EVERY console that's been bundled with phone contracts post-2000?

Might aswell throw in the amount of DS Lites replaced due to broken hinges by your logic.