By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Rare Hasn't Been Designated a Kinect-Only Developer"

I just read this on IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/rare-hasnt-been-designated-a-kinect-only-developer#

While I would normally dismiss such a statement, since Rare spearheaded the Kinect Launch titles with Adventures and Sports (love them both!), it is interesting since it comes from a person such as Phil Spencer who usually gives a very trustworthy appearance.

So what do you think? I am quite confident most people over at Rare like to work with Kinect since it brings a whole new plethora of ways to interact with games, and the Rare of the Nintendo days have changed quite alot since people have left and others joined. Also, the Kinect games must have turned out to bring alot of cash to the studio looking at the success of their games.But how much of their work has been the product of MS pushing Kinect onto them and how much has been their own willingnes?

Around the Network

I am sure that it "pushed onto them" in a way. but you work within the constraints to which you are provided. If the people there didn't like it, they would get a job somewhere else.

It is near the end of the end....

But don't all games use Kinect on the One? Or am I wrong?

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

It would be nice to see something non kinect related come out of Rare.

I'm sure most of the staff at Rare are happy with the funding and support they get from Microsoft, even if Microsoft is steering the studio toward Kinect. I think, if anything, it's the fans who are frustrated with the arrangement.

Around the Network

There goes another Cboat statement.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

If that were so then why did Double Helix make the only real Rare IP in years Phil? Hmmmmm? They are Kinect-Only and MS has proven nothing but that for three years now.

I honestly don't mind Microsoft for forcing Rare to work on Kinect. Rare was losing a lot of money making mediocre games, at least now they're making a profit. Keep in mind MS payed $375 million to buy Rare. That's a lot of money for one developer.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:

I honestly don't mind Microsoft for forcing Rare to work on Kinect. Rare was losing a lot of money making mediocre games, at least now they're making a profit. Keep in mind MS payed $375 million to buy Rare. That's a lot of money for one developer.

Microsoft is paying EA much more than that right now, I'm sure. Thats chump change for them.

I thought 400 million was very little for a developer