By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Rare Hasn't Been Designated a Kinect-Only Developer"

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Fusioncode said:

I honestly don't mind Microsoft for forcing Rare to work on Kinect. Rare was losing a lot of money making mediocre games, at least now they're making a profit. Keep in mind MS payed $375 million to buy Rare. That's a lot of money for one developer.

Microsoft is paying EA much more than that right now, I'm sure. Thats chump change for them.

Yeah it's pennies for Microsoft, but the company was still losing a ton of money. Now they seem to be doing quite well. It's pure business. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Fusioncode said:

I honestly don't mind Microsoft for forcing Rare to work on Kinect. Rare was losing a lot of money making mediocre games, at least now they're making a profit. Keep in mind MS payed $375 million to buy Rare. That's a lot of money for one developer.

Microsoft is paying EA much more than that right now, I'm sure. Thats chump change for them.

Yeah it's pennies for Microsoft, but the company was still losing a ton of money. Now they seem to be doing quite well. It's pure business. 

Its always considered just business when regarding MS. Its become apparent that MS needs outsider games though. Rare went bad because when MS bought them all the figureheads jumped ship. MS truly only owns the IP's and not the soul of Rare. Thats what they get. Theres a downside to everything if you aren't involved in its creation.

If you read what the man says to back up his words, it just makes sense.

If you've read how things got here with Rare, you would also understand that their alleged fall-from-grace happened BECAUSE MS was letting them do their own thing instead of instituting the quality control (emphasis on 'control') that Nintendo wielded.

But for those determined to paint anything MS says or does negatively, none of this matters more than their 'take'. This same thread on neoGAF was a cluster. I really think I'm just going to go their for the off topic section from now on. Hopefully this thread will be more reasonable, but ... well, there's a reason why folks like nightsurge are gone now ...

Well they're the mostly-Kinect-studio, which is completely fine they aren't the studio they were 10 years ago most of the veterans have moved on to other things. Nonetheless I have loved their Kinect sports games and Viva Piñata.

It's over Rare. Your days of being a AAA studio are over. You guys sucked even before microsoft bought you out. You proved that even further with perfect dark zero. That game had nowhere near the success it did with perfect dark on the N64. Your first game on the xbox called grabbed by the ghouls was garbage. What's even more ironic about phil spencer's statement has to do with the fact that RARE isn't the one developing killer instinct. It's dogshit helix games that keep producing trash such as silent hill homecoming and other movie games LMAO. Microsoft must seriously not think highly of Rare if they have to resort to handing out Rares own IPs to other crappy developers. In any case I'm fine with them making more kinect related stuff. Rare's last decent game was viva pinata and that didn't exactly go off the shelves. 

Around the Network

Hearing this makes it even worse.

Am I the only one that that think Kinect Sports 1&2 are awesome games? They are great examples of how to use Kinect and are meant as playful games that draws everyone in. I do think that their potential isn't used to its fullest and that might actually be because MS aren't forcing their hand as much as I believe Nintendo did in their days.

Seeing KI reminds me a bit of when 343 studios took over the Halo brand and made it fresh again. It just seems like Rare feel at home with Kinect and its a good thing for MS to have a strong developer on it.

I think D.Helix and Rare gonna make a lot of haters eat their words. Hopefully with a twist of good development hints at this stage.

Goatseye said:

I think D.Helix and Rare gonna make a lot of haters eat their words. Hopefully with a twist of good development hints at this stage.

Nobodies gonna be eating their own words LOL. We all know double helix is know for producing garbage. Their main predecessors such as The Collective and Shiny Entertainment were only out there to produce more dogshit ass games LOL and that especially goes for The Collective cause they have yet too make to make a decent game after that indiana jones game. As for Shiny Entertainment, that golden compass game sucked so hard it's not even funny. BTW Rare isn't developing killer instinct. Theres only one guy from rare that's helping them and it ain't the director it's the producer LMAO. 

fatslob-:O said:
Goatseye said:

Nobodies gonna be eating their own words LOL. We all know double helix is know for producing garbage. Their main predecessors such as The Collective and Shiny Entertainment were only out there to produce more dogshit ass games LOL and that especially goes for The Collective cause they have yet too make to make a decent game after that indiana jones game. As for Shiny Entertainment, that golden compass game sucked so hard it's not even funny. BTW Rare isn't developing killer instinct. Theres only one guy from rare that's helping them and it ain't the director it's the producer LMAO. 

That one guy is more important to KI series than anybody ever in Rare's history.

His name is Ken Lobb. The father of Killer Instinct. Not producer but Creative Director.

He is the one that gives go to anything DH does in KI.

DH is doing a mighty fine job and I hope you're not influencing people away from Xbox with your expertise in X1 games.