By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2013 Sign Up Thread!

I think the option to post a smaller list than a top 50 would be good, more people would participate.

Around the Network
AshKetchum1992 said:

I think the option to post a smaller list than a top 50 would be good, more people would participate.

Well that's kinda the point.

Sure, I may not get the participation levels of, say, The Most Wanted, as the effort putting in a top 50 all time is much more difficult and time cosuming than putting in a top 5. But with that difficulty and work comes a certain sense pride and accomplishment for these 50 amazing games that you've played over the years. From number 1 to number 50, these are amazing games in people's eyes that should not be overlooked. I think what makes this event so unique is the plethora of different games being talked about, because people have the chance to include some games that wouldn't see the light of day otherwise.

So yeah, I would like everyone to participate, but at the same time, I want people to come who treat this project seriously and who will put in the time and effort to come up with their 50 favorite games ever. The reward is certainly worth it. ^_^

@TheRepublic

Welcome abaord! ^_^

3 days remain folks. Get those lists ready! :O

I'm in.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Scoobes said:
Mr Khan said:
Scoobes said:
OK, I've adopted (or shamelessly stolen depending on your POV) MrKhans' scoring system. It's actually fairly close to my old ranking with a few major exceptions e.g. AC2 is a lot higher than I placed before and MGS1 seems to be a lot lower than I expected. A few more but I'll save them for list time.

It was actually a lot of fun, I could do my top 100 now, lol.

I like it because i think it controls for the various factors that often undermine these lists: it balances rose-tinted glasses with the fact that some games, even if they are objectively worse than others (like the badly unbalanced Mario Kart 64 vs much more polished Double Dash, Wii, and 7) are still more significant to your gaming history. How much did you love it back then? How has that love held up? And objectively (as far as game judging can be objective) how good is the game, actually? That helps to keep more roughly-designed games in check, without rewarding games that you can't find any flaws in, but also didn't really "love" either.

I completely agree. It balances objective game mechanics with the effect the game has subjectively had on you. I can see why MGS dropped a few places (Modern score of PS1/N64 games are relatively low) and I'm OK with that.

I pretty much copied your scoring system with a few minor changes to the way I score them. If anyone else wants to adopt it or something similar:

Original score: Score I would give the game when I first played it.

Modern score: If I play the game now, what would I give it?

Nostalgia: How fondly do I remember the game when I think of it and how much did it influence me?

Length value: How much did I personally play the game? Will I be going back to it in the future?

I then took an average (all scores out of 10).

Can I also use this system?, it's pretty good
And I've given a bump to this topic :P

AshKetchum1992 said:
Scoobes said:
Mr Khan said:
Scoobes said:
OK, I've adopted (or shamelessly stolen depending on your POV) MrKhans' scoring system. It's actually fairly close to my old ranking with a few major exceptions e.g. AC2 is a lot higher than I placed before and MGS1 seems to be a lot lower than I expected. A few more but I'll save them for list time.

It was actually a lot of fun, I could do my top 100 now, lol.

I like it because i think it controls for the various factors that often undermine these lists: it balances rose-tinted glasses with the fact that some games, even if they are objectively worse than others (like the badly unbalanced Mario Kart 64 vs much more polished Double Dash, Wii, and 7) are still more significant to your gaming history. How much did you love it back then? How has that love held up? And objectively (as far as game judging can be objective) how good is the game, actually? That helps to keep more roughly-designed games in check, without rewarding games that you can't find any flaws in, but also didn't really "love" either.

I completely agree. It balances objective game mechanics with the effect the game has subjectively had on you. I can see why MGS dropped a few places (Modern score of PS1/N64 games are relatively low) and I'm OK with that.

I pretty much copied your scoring system with a few minor changes to the way I score them. If anyone else wants to adopt it or something similar:

Original score: Score I would give the game when I first played it.

Modern score: If I play the game now, what would I give it?

Nostalgia: How fondly do I remember the game when I think of it and how much did it influence me?

Length value: How much did I personally play the game? Will I be going back to it in the future?

I then took an average (all scores out of 10).

Can I also use this system?, it's pretty good
And I've given a bump to this topic :P

I don't see why not. It's a good system.

Around the Network

Spam Bot gonna Spam.

Sorry for being that guy, but I have to drop out Smeags. Work kept piling up this week, that plus family troubles kept me from giving any serious thought to my list and I probably won't have any long period of time to give the proper attention to this.

I really wanted to participate, had a lot of fun back in 2011, but alas it isn't to be. Sorry Smeags

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
Sorry for being that guy, but I have to drop out Smeags. Work kept piling up this week, that plus family troubles kept me from giving any serious thought to my list and I probably won't have any long period of time to give the proper attention to this.

I really wanted to participate, had a lot of fun back in 2011, but alas it isn't to be. Sorry Smeags

Nooooo!

*cries in a corner*

I... I *sniffle* understad.

(If you ever have the time to make your list, just PM it my way. No worries either way. Good luck on your work shenanigans! :3)

Smeags said:
lestatdark said:

Nooooo!

*cries in a corner*

I... I *sniffle* understad.

(If you ever have the time to make your list, just PM it my way. No worries either way. Good luck on your work shenanigans! :3)

I can't promise anything, but i'll try giving it a go this weekend since I don't have to drive 600 kms on both friday and sunday like the past three ones

Thanks for understanding .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I know I'm veeeeery late, but can I join?