By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Admits To Botching Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 Video Capature (Plus AO on XB1 in Day-1 Patch)

Tagged games:

Another example.

PS4 Forced Limited RGB

Xone DF Capture

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
JazzB1987 said:
I dont really understand can someone clarify?

I mean if the PS4 has shitty standard gamma settings why would DF "fix" them? (I am pretty sure they would not mess around with their calibrated "capture card settings". So its a console issue right?

I mean its the standard image the consoles deliver right? Alot of consumers will not care about playing around with their TVs gamma settings to compensate this so why shoud DF do this? (I have all my consoles plugged into my AVR and just 1 cable going into my HDTV)

Noone whined when they compared WiiU footage to other footage and WiiU also has shitty standard settings (look at the TRINE2 video) So why is this different? Thats the first time I see people giving a F*ck about that issue)
First world problems.....

Thats basically what happened right? Correct me If I am wrong please thanks.

It is digital foundry setthing in the capture equipment issue... if you get the game on your home just changing the Gama and Shappeninn of your HDTV setthings you can make the PS4 image looks like Xbone or Xbone looks like PS4.

The issue is because DF try to make a comparision using different setthing.

For exemple...

Xbone original DF image

PS4 Forced Limited RGB for looks like Xbone

Now the darker and shappeness looks similar.

The same can happen with the same capture card settings and different console settings tho (why would anyone change capture card settings just to calibrate them again and again and again? Thats stupid) 

So is this a FACT that it was their capture card settings or is this your conclusion?  if it is fact  oh boy silly DF.

JazzB1987 said:

So is this a FACT that it was their capture card settings or is this your conclusion?  if it is fact  oh boy silly DF.

Fact. They even say that in the article.

Curiously, the top end is also affected, causing the image to appear distinctly washed out, as if set to limited range. This is particularly evident on PS4, which is kept free of a comparable black push to Microsoft's platform to compensate. Right now there's every possibility that it could be a capture situation, but it is worth noting that we saw no such issue on our PC captures and after returning to base, the same equipment produced a perfectly balanced picture on our PlayStation 3.

Seems like they are trying to see what happened... and a DF's employee said that on GAF.

"The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible. 

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JackFrags used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best."

They didn't have the game at DF but in a event at D.I.C.E. with limited time to capture the footage... so if they have more time then they can be what did wrong and corrected the capture.

Now we need to wait the official reviewe with news pictures... I'm sure they will fix the capture issue next time with the game.

He also mentioned there were other features coming to the xbone version that he couldn't discuss at this time if you read the other tweets. Hmmmmm

All I got from that tweet is that the Xbox 1 version will look even better at launch, but the usual suspects have to come in and find a way to spin this into a ''PS4 verion was made to look worse''.

And who the hell is this Jack Frags, for all I know he could be purposfully doctoring the PS4 version to be better, it sure looks like it with stupid claims like PS4 MP looks better than XB SP. Guy sounds like an idiot

Around the Network
foodfather said:

All I got from that tweet is that the Xbox 1 version will look even better at launch, but the usual suspects have to come in and find a way to spin this into a ''PS4 verion was made to look worse''.

And who the hell is this Jack Frags, for all I know he could be purposfully doctoring the PS4 version to be better, it sure looks like it with stupid claims like PS4 MP looks better than XB SP. Guy sounds like an idiot

That is one possible explanation. One other might very well be that the X1 video was made to look better, actually implying that the difference is bigger.

This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

foodfather said:

JackFrags is the official Battlefield YouTube uploader from D.I.C.E... all YouTube videos from D.I.C.E. goes to the JackFrags hands.

And what you trying to say with spin?

PS4 version is cleary superior like Digital Foundry stated... why will I spin a fact?

Even in the IGN footage the PS4 version is slightly more blurred. People who say Xbox One having better textures are wrong though. It's the AA. It was implemented extremely poorly, With 50% extra resolution, they should have had better AA without it looking like garbage.

So the PS4 version uses more power to look worse.  That AA and extra resolution isn't free.

Stopped reading at GAF.

/s

ethomaz said:
foodfather said:

JackFrags is the official Battlefield YouTube uploader from D.I.C.E... all YouTube videos from D.I.C.E. goes to the JackFrags hands.

And what you trying to say with spin?

PS4 version is cleary superior like Digital Foundry stated... why will I spin a fact?

where did he say that he means you with this? he clearly meant another user in this thread.