By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 has the Superior Version of Battlefield 4

*sigh*

Should have predicted how this thread would turn out after making my earlier comment. Everyone sees crushed blacks and over-saturated colours and immediately assumes it's the better version. I guess the Xbox One version is better than the PC version then?

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:
brendude13 said:
9087 said:

Can someone please explain why the Xbox One version looks so overly dark? It's like they put a filter on and turned the contrast way up. It looks so....cartoony. 

The PS4 version in comparison looks natural and realistic. 

It seems to be exactly like the 360. PC and PS3 versions would usually have identical contrast, but 360 would be considerably darker.

I notice the x1's looks better here.

Pints to focus on it deatail on the gun, ridges that aren't visible on the PS4 frame.

* veins on some of the guys arms also invisible on the PS4 

* and the ground, the rocks on the floor look flat on the Ps4.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

attaboy said:
ghettoglamour said:
The 2 pics of the singleplayer from Eurogamer look better on X1 honestly.

Exactly what I'd expect to hear from an Xbox One fanyboy.

*reports*

People need to understand that the methods they are using to show the footage (Like youtube) couldn't even fairly compare PS3 and 360.  Thus on next gen these "Video comparisons" are completely pointless.

All you can do is hopefully download an uncompressed version of the video in full 1080p.  Otherwise the words of the people who saw it first hand are all we have to go on, and they say the PS4 is clearly superior.  #Dealwithit

Too_Talls said:

Those are not veins, theyre color borders between two colors, a result of compressing to gif.

brendude13 said:
Too_Talls said:
brendude13 said:
9087 said:

Can someone please explain why the Xbox One version looks so overly dark? It's like they put a filter on and turned the contrast way up. It looks so....cartoony. 

The PS4 version in comparison looks natural and realistic. 

It seems to be exactly like the 360. PC and PS3 versions would usually have identical contrast, but 360 would be considerably darker.

Pints to focus on it deatail on the gun, ridges that aren't visible on the PS4 frame.

* and the ground, the rocks on the floor look flat on the Ps4.

Sarcastic? those points I pointed out are clear as day. Maybe you're being sarcastic.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/6/6/BF4_XO_013.bmp.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/6/6/BF4_PS4_013.bmp.jpg

Feel free to compare the actual screenshots and not resized 256 color gifs when pointing out differences, so you don't get caught short imagining details that aren't really there.

Everything about this game looks better on the PS4, and better still on the PC, the only difference between console versions really is the brightness, and you can adjust that yourself with your tv if you want it lighter or darker, the only other difference is that the xbox one uses an aggressive sharpen filter on upscaled video, hence why everything, including the jaggy edges, look sharper.

That may well do well to give the perception of a clearer image in your browser window, but on a big tv the difference is going to be quite dramatic, especially when using scopes.

Additionally, if ever we end up with a multiplat that runs native 1080p on ps4 and upscaled 720p on xbox, the difference in image quality is going to be even more noticable, aggressive sharpen is a really bad idea, i would'nt be surprised if the launch units are just setup this way to make initial launch titles look like they are using higher resolution textures, and that eventually a update fill tone down the sharpness or remove it from post processing completely, and you should really hope they do, because it looks awful.

Too_Talls said:
brendude13 said:

Sarcastic? those points I pointed out are clear as day. Maybe you're being sarcastic.

Oh wow...

You do know all those things you pointed out that were either missing in the PS4 or present in the Xbox One version, like the "vein" and the "ridges" on the gun are actually compression artefacts.

Even if you were right, those extra "details" would be completely insignificant.

Something tells me you're taking me on a ride.

Frequency said:

Feel free to compare the actual screenshots and not resized 256 color gifs when pointing out differences, so you don't get caught short imagining details that aren't really there.

Everything about this game looks better on the PS4, and better still on the PC, the only difference between console versions really is the brightness, and you can adjust that yourself with your tv if you want it lighter or darker, the only other difference is that the xbox one uses an aggressive sharpen filter on upscaled video, hence why everything, including the jaggy edges, look sharper.

That may well do well to give the perception of a clearer image in your browser window, but on a big tv the difference is going to be quite dramatic, especially when using scopes.

Additionally, if ever we end up with a multiplat that runs native 1080p on ps4 and upscaled 720p on xbox, the difference in image quality is going to be even more noticable, aggressive sharpen is a really bad idea, i would'nt be surprised if the launch units are just setup this way to make initial launch titles look like they are using higher resolution textures, and that eventually a update fill tone down the sharpness or remove it from post processing completely, and you should really hope they do, because it looks awful.

With this my focus has shifted to the floor area next to the guy on the floor's head. Would you honestly say the ps4 frame looks better in that area? just want to know, I don't care what the numbers say I just want to know the visual end result. My opinion is that whole area looks pretty bad on the ps4 frame. it doesn't even look like a natural floor.

Too_Talls said:
Frequency said:

With this my focus has shifted to the floor area next to the guy on the floor's head. Would you honestly say the ps4 frame looks better in that area? just want to know, I don't care what the numbers say I just want to know the visual end result. My opinion is that whole area looks pretty bad on the ps4 frame. it doesn't even look like a natural floor.

This is down to the fact that levels are procedurally generated now, player outfits, ground textures and similar things are generated randomly from each play through, thats why some screenshots the camo on clothing is different between consoles, and ground textures in different areas, much like that screenshot, are different.

Frequency said:
Too_Talls said:
Frequency said:

This is down to the fact that levels are procedurally generated now, player outfits, ground textures and similar things are generated randomly from each play through, thats why some screenshots the camo on clothing is different between consoles, and ground textures in different areas, much like that screenshot, are different.

Sounds like what I originally was saying is better. no point in comparing screenshots. thats info I never knew about...so the whole data doesn't get loaded everytime.....wow......

better to look at videos and see wich can generate the most data more consistently...........at the end of it all I don't see a difference in the actual videos.

gatta look deeper than graphics for choosing a new console, So far I don't see a reason to upgrade. all people are talking about is graphics this graphics that, all the time its not much better than current gen, in some cases not even as good. my eyes hurt trying to play my n64 cause I got so used to the new stuff. I doub't that effect will happen between this gen and the next.