By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo’s Reggie May Have Hinted New Star Fox Game

Here is my approach for making starfox relevant again.

-Star Fox 64 style gameplay. Longer game than S64
-Develop for 3DS. I know we all want HD starfox, but budget will be lower, and audience will be bigger. The key is to get the series to make money, and thus have more talent behind it.
-Add online leaderboards, online battles, ship customization, RPG elements. Etc. In short, don't try to "revolutionize starfox" like they have tried with the GCube ones. Just make a sequel to S64 with modern sensibilities and bells and whistles.

This might sound boring, but it is absolutely what the series needs. After 3DS game is successful, make the huge incredible Wii U starfox.

Around the Network

If this is true, I hope is for the Wii U. 3DS already has too many games.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Take this with grain of salt as this could have easily been a random tweet

I pretty sure that's what it was.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I wonder if the wiiU will be like another gamecube... All these epic games that its gonna have that everyone will talk about and "remember" but no one actually buys the console... Cause damn son, the wiiU really is looking to have really good games but the sales aren't looking too good. I hope 2014 will be different though

When we're little, whatever our "first experiences" are will always be remembered more fondly than they really were. The reason the Gamecube and it's games (see WW for example) are more popular now online than they were when the system was alive and kicking, is because the little kids at the time are now 20 somethings and the Gamecube was their intro into the world of Nintendo and it's IP.

I am 34, and apart of the NES gen, so I can give a more accurate depection of what Gamecube was. That console was considered to be a waste of money in much of the same way Wii-U is now. It didn't have a DVD player, it had almost no online to speak of, no third party support etc. All it could do was play games, and people wanted more than that. On the games side of it, people felt the titles were weak N64 clones. People felt WW was too easy, too repetitive (sailing) and thought it was pretty much a slap in the face. The same can be said for just about ALL of the Gamecube titles with the exception of SSBM,Metroid Prime, F-Zero and....maybe Pikmin. Though most considered it too "cute" and "kiddy" to care.

Overall, it wasn't liked and it's games, rejected. I know now, it's looked highly upon but that's because, like I said, the kids have all grown up and have let nostalgia delude their views.

prayformojo said:
I wonder if the wiiU will be like another gamecube... All these epic games that its gonna have that everyone will talk about and "remember" but no one actually buys the console... Cause damn son, the wiiU really is looking to have really good games but the sales aren't looking too good. I hope 2014 will be different though

When we're little, whatever our "first experiences" are will always be remembered more fondly than they really were. The reason the Gamecube and it's games (see WW for example) are more popular now online than they were when the system was alive and kicking, is because the little kids at the time are now 20 somethings and the Gamecube was their intro into the world of Nintendo and it's IP.

I am 34, and apart of the NES gen, so I can give a more accurate depection of what Gamecube was. That console was considered to be a waste of money in much of the same way Wii-U is now. It didn't have a DVD player, it had almost no online to speak of, no third party support etc. All it could do was play games, and people wanted more than that. On the games side of it, people felt the titles were weak N64 clones. People felt WW was too easy, too repetitive (sailing) and thought it was pretty much a slap in the face. The same can be said for just about ALL of the Gamecube titles with the exception of SSBM,Metroid Prime, F-Zero and....maybe Pikmin. Though most considered it too "cute" and "kiddy" to care.

Overall, it wasn't liked and it's games, rejected. I know now, it's looked highly upon but that's because, like I said, the kids have all grown up and have let nostalgia delude their views.

As an SNES kid I have a similar view of the Gamecube. It was a huge step down from the N64.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:

Personally I disagree with the assessment of GC games.  However, I think it is also important to note that my tastes aren't quite the same as most people... but I seriously want to refute that last claim as it seems to imply that people who think highly of the Gamecube only do so for nostalgia.

attaboy said:

Star Fox isn't the big name it used to be. After the N64 game, things really went downhill in terms of popularity. 1997 was a long time ago. Hope they make it, though.

true but they (nintendo) haven't exactly made a 'proper' starfox game since the n64...starfox adventures and the namco game don't count (nor that weird sorta strategy-like game for the ds). I think if a decent new starfox game that were a true sequel to the snes and n64 games were made it could be a big deal (or mebbe I'm just saying it cos it'd be a big deal to me)...

anyways, im not too optimistic about a new game anytime soon based on the evidence in this article/tweet...sure i wouldn't put it past reggie to be subtly hinting there was a new sf game in the works, but there are probably at least 20 other reasons why he would have access to a new 'photo shopped' pic of Fox Mcleod...probably mock up character artwork for the new smash bros game (for instance).

prayformojo said:

Gotta say I disagree.

- like the xbox the gamecube sold to those who wanted it. Mostly to "core" ( I dont like this term) gamers. Its just that gaming wasnt as big as it was now.

- The PS2 sold amazingly. DVD, easily pirated games, the wii effect that literally everybody had one. Not trying to say that it was a fad or put it down but its numbers were definately inflated by people who didnt realy game a lot.

- There was plenty of third party support on the gamecube, the most nintendo had ever seen since the SNES, no idea why people think there wasnt. Not only that so many games were xbox/gamecube only or PS2/gamecube only.
- The games it had were great. Games like Sunshine, wind waker and Starfox adventures were good games the reason people didnt like them is because they werent N64 clones.

The Gamecube Star Fox games had their flaws but were good games, just not good Star Fox games.  

Star Fox Adventures was a Zelda-like game with simpler game-play and an easier difficulty with a few Arwing levels thrown in.  

The graphics were great and the Dinosaur Planet setting was a nice change but you could easily breeze through 100% of the game.

Overall, SF Adventures had very few classic Star Fox Arwing levels and lacked the depth and difficulty of the previous Star Fox games.

Star Fox Assault was more of a return to classic Star Fox game-play with Arwing (spacecraft) & Landmaster (tank) levels.

They also had the new addition of "on foot levels", which were liked by some and disliked by many others.

Another change to classic Star Fox formula was making the game linear, with only one path from start to end.

Below: Map of Star Fox 64 which is non-linear with lots of paths to choose from (Star Fox Assault had ~10 levels total):

Yet this made SF: Assault longer in a single play through than Star Fox 64 and more difficult than SF64 depending on the path taken.

Overall, SF: Assault's linear path made the game have less variety and depth than Star Fox 64, and foot missions a divisive addition.

Below are some Assault concept art drawings via siliconera:

I wouldn't read too much into this.

I mean, a new Star Fox game is almost definitely in development, because Miyamoto wants that, and what Miyamoto wants, Miyamoto gets. But I don't think this tweet is meant to directly tease such a game.