By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Picture - 720p vs 900p vs 1080p

Scoobes said:
Too_Talls said:

1. This post does two things for me. It contradicts yourself on the 1st page when you said the images were not zoomed in. because on the article it is clearly zoomed in parts of and overall screen shot.

2. Second it confirms that te res is a non issue for me. The res difference what I take from this adds more textures to minor details of a frame. Details that you need to zoom into in order to notice. So on a big TV were images are essentially "zoomed in" it would be more noticable than smaller TV's. personally I play on a 24 inch so I would not see a difference.

And most would not be able to appreciate the changes. in numbers of colors and  minor calculations. the differences are HUGE on paper. as for sitting in front of a TV playing a fast pace video game. those differences are reduced to small things that you can't see but remains in the back of your head for those that care about it that much.

1. I believe the images are cropped, not zoomed in. They're just taking a small segment to highlight differences, not blowing it up to make things look worse.

2. Depends how far away from your TV you sit. I game on PC on a 24" monitor and as I sit quite close so the difference between 720 and 1080 is like night and day. Sit far enough away and you probably wouldn't care.

well if you sit far enough away from the TV, and don't have good eyesight/wear contacts while gaming you probably couldn't tell the difference while gaming.

:P.  The only ones that really work in these comparisons are cropped images that aren't downscaled thumbnails. Obviously there is less of an image difference if you both a 1080p and 720p image are both downscaled to 540...

Around the Network

Zoomed and then cropped or cropped and then zoomed I really don't think either method makes a difference. I've done a few things with photoshop and it never seemed to matter what I decided to do first.

Botom line these images were zoomed in or cropped and expanded.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

this example of resolution is a joke ROFL.

I can do the same unrealistic comparison you did and show everyone that even 480i equals 1080p

1080p                        720                   480i

But I chose zoomed out instead of zoomed in.....

With a 117" screen (at home) I can tell you the difference between 720p and 1080p isnt that big that some of you are trying to imply

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

crissindahouse said:

that's all fine but if you use the full screenshots and let people watch them on their tv, i think many won't really see a difference.

Opening both those windows in my browser and setting them to native res makes a big difference in clarity and contrast switching back and forth.
Sure that's from 3ft away from a 15.4" 1080p screen, which is the same as sitting 10ft away from a 52" 1080p screen.

The difference only gets bigger when you see it in motion where aliasing artifacts and sub pixel detail really start to show. There's a reason pc games offer uber sampling or rendering at 4K downscaled to 1080p to improve the image. Upscaling an already anti aliased picture always looks worse.
It will be nice to finally be able to play more console games in native display resolution. And if you happen to have a 1280x720 or 1366x768 tv, don't worry, downsampling results in a much nicer picture then vice versa.

Around the Network
Naum said:
With a 117" screen (at home) I can tell you the difference between 720p and 1080p isnt that big that some of you are trying to imply

How far away are you sitting? I sit 12ft away from a 92" 1080p screen and the difference is night and day. Sure you get used to it after you play for a while but when I switch back to PC it's always like a fog has instantly lifted.

yeah i put my eyes 6 inches away from my tv screen :P

Captain_Tom said:
NobleTeam360 said:
No way I believe those pictures to be 720p or 900p

Enjoy your dream world.

I will 

JazzB1987 said:

this example of resolution is a joke ROFL.

I can do the same unrealistic comparison you did and show everyone that even 480i equals 1080p

1080p                        720                   480i

But I chose zoomed out instead of zoomed in.....

Good post.

People don't properly understand the relationship between resolutions and perception to the eye.

9087 said:

For those who think resolution doesnt matter or is barely noticable.....

From Left to Right

720p - 900p - 1080p

1080p makes a huge difference.

One of the main reasons I am moving to PS4 is because I am tired of blurry 720p and even sub-720p games on current gen.

1080p on PS4 will be glorious and should be mandatory for every next-gen game.

It should also be noted that the bigger your TV is, the more noticable the difference is. I play on a 60" LCD so 1080p is very important to me. 

If you wanted to highlight how much better 1080p is than 720p, you failed. This is a bad scene for a screen capture; 1080p highlights how crappy it looks even more! If anything, the 720p's blurriness looks more like depth of field here and hides a good portion of the crappiness.

Come now, can we take something that has some good colors, at least?

The BuShA owns all!