By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Edge Article - Why Wii U should steal your Christmas

well vita was the leader system for everyone before release, it's the same now with ps4. Let's look how that ends.
Right now wiiU has the best gamelibrary of all next generaton systems.

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
HikenNoAce said:
Salnax said:
HikenNoAce said:
Doesn't matter what Edge thinks, the WiiU won't do well.

Why not? The big exclusive games are coming, the price is lower than the competition, and it has a better established existing library. I doubt it will crush the competition, but why won't it at least do decently?

Because the days of the casuals are over.

An excellent point. Each of the factors I mentioned are easily swept away by that single vague phrase. I guess that is why recent casual games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Tomodatchi Collection: New Life have bombed on the 3DS, while even the once-great Wii Sports only sold 700,000 copies this year despite merely being released a bit over half a decade ago. That would also explain why Just Dance 4 only sold 6.5 million on the Wii alone in under a year. The casual market is obviously gone forever. Especially since games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and sports games are never played casually.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Love and tolerate.

Noctis23 said:

DélioPT said:
@Noctis23.
Sorry for not quoting you, but it would be a hassle to do it on IE.

Don`t know about the States, but in UK and Germany, there is a good marketing push going on.
In the UK, Tesco is notyfing customers about Wii U: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687141&page=6

In Germany, Nintendo has teemed up again with Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi to promote Wii Fit U and Wii Party U.

Campaigns in the States will start eventually.
If i`m not mistaken Nintendo will be taking part of the 100 day countdown to the Olympics in New York.

It should've started months ago, even last month to promote the price cut and WWHD.

The rest of the stuff you mention won't hurt, but I don't know if it will be enough to compete this holiday.

Don`t know if Nintendo has the money to promote 2 (including 3DS) consoles for so many months. Better use your resources wisely and apply them at the right time to build momentum.

And you don`t need to just go after consumers through TV. campaingns like the Olympics one will attract media attention.

Nintendo was fully decking out a train in Chicago sponsoring a race in France ( the tour) and having WiiU campaigns in Disney. The Wonderful 101 even got an ad campaign on youtube and appeared in the movie theater time slots. Infact they've showed up at every single convention they could go to this year.

Are you all daft? Are television commercials all you see? That the be all end all for you people?

Snap back to reality you lot, down with the hyperbole.  You'll see the thing plastered everywhere come holiday time.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

Nintendo was fully decking out a train in Chicago sponsoring a race in France ( the tour) and having WiiU campaigns in Disney. The Wonderful 101 even got an ad campaign on youtube and appeared in the movie theater time slots. Infact they've showed up at every single convention they could go to this year.

Are you all daft? Are television commercials all you see? That the be all end all for you people?

Snap back to reality you lot, down with the hyperbole.  You'll see the thing plastered everywhere come holiday time.

Television is best best medium of promoting your product bar none. Maybe Nintendo should not have bothered with the tour or "all the conventions" as you stated.

Looking at what the Wonderful 101 sold and the wii u's poor sales overall the "hyperbole" would have every right to say it didn't bloody work.

Drop all that crap and go back to the television. That's the big rectangular thing in the living room ( maybe bedroom) that every gamer, sports fan, kid and people in general look it.

Around the Network

Noctis23 said:
Who is going to buy the console other than hardcore Nintendo fans?

No sports games and no decent online community/games for so called "dudebros"

Casual aren't paying $300 just play a new Wii Sports or Wii Fit

The graphics are a little better than current gen, it lacks decent built in storage, (that's an extra $50-70 if you want to download anything) the online play isn't up to snuff, it lacks 3rd party support, it doesn't have DVD/Blu-ray playback, and it lacks a value system like PS Plus or Games for Gold.

Why would anyone (other than Nintendo die-hards) buy this console over the four that will be available this holiday? The value just isn't there.

Built in storage isnt important unless your bestheda and you want your games installed so they run properly. 50$ for a

Club Nintendo is a FREE reward system, their is a BULK of software that appeals to many, your online thing is a bunch of hoobala, the only thing lacking is a unified account system across Nintendo products. (which coincedentally does have an infrastructure set up in place via club nintendo but its not fully baked)

The value is there, you however are just too blind to see it. Its got 3rd party support from those who sold the most on the Wii, whether they stay or not remains to be seen

The graphics are not the selling point and "a little better than current gen" is ridiculous.

When will you people learn its all about the software? What are indies to you? They are the future of 3rd party support. If you want all the AAA games the industry has on offer you can get a PC for 700$ and spend way less than on a console.

First off, Club Nintendo is nothing compared to PS Plus or Game for Gold. You don't get any discounts and the only games they offer you can get cheap off the VC.

2nd, there is no "bulk" of software that appeals to the masses, otherwise it wouldn't be selling the way it is now.

3rd, people need extra storage if they want DLC or to download multiple games from the E-shop. You can't just gloss over that, 8-32 GB just isn't enough space in today's gaming world.

4th, like it or not graphics are a selling point and it will prove itself next month. The Wii U just doesn't have that "wow" factor (whether it be updated graphics or some other kind of interesting tech like the wiimote) to appeal to the core and/or casuals that the new consoles will have this holiday.

BTW, I haven't seen anything yet that would leave me to believe that the Wii U graphics are that much better than current gen, we'll see in future games.

I'm not blind at all, hell if anyone's blind it's you. Making up excuses and refusing to see console's flaws for what they are. And lol bring up Indie titles. As if that'll sell systems, or as if the next gen consoles won't have any.

justinian said:
Noctis23 said:
justinian said:

I think what you're saying maybe true, only if they can get the first party titles out on time. I think not having Mario Kart or DK out this holiday is going to hurt.

Lol I bought one at launch hoping to play some first party games relatively early in it's life cycle. Almost a year later, nothing has really piqued my interest, other than X and Smash. (coming out mid-late next year)

I might pick up 3D World next month though.

You may be right about not having a Mario Kart for the holidays. On the other hand it might be good thing. If I was the MD of Nintendo would I want my biggest game going up against the Xbone, PS4 and all the rest at the same time? It's a tough one but I maybe would let all the dust settle, let the customers recoup some money from all their christmas spending and then hit them with it over easter when there would hopefully be less for it to compete against.

Who knows, only time will tell if it was a bad decision or otherwise.

There you go, you might pick up SM3DW next month. Are you a Nintendo die hard fan? Because if you are not you still bought the system. A few million like you and Nintendo will be fine.

I may be an anomaly since I can acutally afford more than one console, (I'll be picking up the PS4 next month and Xbox One next year) and that I'm such a huge fan of gaming across 3 different companies. (MS, Sony, and Nintendo)

Noctis23 said:

Noctis23 said:
Who is going to buy the console other than hardcore Nintendo fans?

No sports games and no decent online community/games for so called "dudebros"

Casual aren't paying $300 just play a new Wii Sports or Wii Fit

The graphics are a little better than current gen, it lacks decent built in storage, (that's an extra $50-70 if you want to download anything) the online play isn't up to snuff, it lacks 3rd party support, it doesn't have DVD/Blu-ray playback, and it lacks a value system like PS Plus or Games for Gold.

Why would anyone (other than Nintendo die-hards) buy this console over the four that will be available this holiday? The value just isn't there.

Built in storage isnt important unless your bestheda and you want your games installed so they run properly. 50$ for a

Club Nintendo is a FREE reward system, their is a BULK of software that appeals to many, your online thing is a bunch of hoobala, the only thing lacking is a unified account system across Nintendo products. (which coincedentally does have an infrastructure set up in place via club nintendo but its not fully baked)

The value is there, you however are just too blind to see it. Its got 3rd party support from those who sold the most on the Wii, whether they stay or not remains to be seen

The graphics are not the selling point and "a little better than current gen" is ridiculous.

When will you people learn its all about the software? What are indies to you? They are the future of 3rd party support. If you want all the AAA games the industry has on offer you can get a PC for 700$ and spend way less than on a console.

First off, Club Nintendo is nothing compared to PS Plus or Game for Gold. You don't get any discounts and the only games they offer you can get cheap off the VC.

2nd, there is no "bulk" of software that appeals to the masses, otherwise it wouldn't be selling the way it is now.

3rd, people need extra storage if they want DLC or to download multiple games from the E-shop. You can't just gloss over that, 8-32 GB just isn't enough space in today's gaming world.

4th, like it or not graphics are a selling point and it will prove itself next month. The Wii U just doesn't have that "wow" factor (whether it be updated graphics or some other kind of interesting tech like the wiimote) to appeal to the core and/or casuals that the new consoles will have this holiday.

BTW, I haven't seen anything yet that would leave me to believe that the Wii U graphics are that much better than current gen, we'll see in future games.

I'm not blind at all, hell if anyone's blind it's you. Making up excuses and refusing to see console's flaws for what they are. And lol bring up Indie titles. As if that'll sell systems, or as if the next gen consoles won't have any.

There are things it doesnt have yes. No you dont get discounts, you get free games you actually get to keep. Nintendo doesnt lock shit up behind a pay wall. If you want a discount you can use your digital deluxe promotion.

Im not making excuses for anyone, but for the general consumer/gamers who like to play actual videogames , everything you listed is a non issue.

Infact I consider some of it to be a more elegant solution. Nintendo and Sony/MS have different focuses it leads to different types of machines.

This is a simple case of the negatives outweighing the benefits. I tell you this as someone who's observed this.

People only buy a system when it gets pass a certain threshold of software, that software is coming, so you can expect many different types of people buying a console. But in general there is a shitload of competition this year.

It has plenty of games now, great bundles, a cheap price, and the Wii is dead in two areas from what I hear on Twitter. The Wii U is going to do very well this holiday I think. But it is the same story. Has to keep the games coming in order to stay strong.

Salnax said:
HikenNoAce said:

Because the days of the casuals are over.

An excellent point. Each of the factors I mentioned are easily swept away by that single vague phrase. I guess that is why recent casual games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Tomodatchi Collection: New Life have bombed on the 3DS, while even the once-great Wii Sports only sold 700,000 copies this year despite merely being released a bit over half a decade ago. That would also explain why Just Dance 4 only sold 6.5 million on the Wii alone in under a year. The casual market is obviously gone forever. Especially since games like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and sports games are never played casually.

Thank you for enlightening me.

But has the casual market shown even the slightest bit of interest in the Wii U?  Does it even understand the Wii U?

Right now, the casual market is elsewhere: smart-phones, browser games, and the 3DS.  Even the Wii is probably still selling to the casual market.

Does that mean the Wii U can't tap that market?  No, of course not, it's always possible.  However, we've had no indications of such.  The game-pad is not drawing them in on its own and neither is the software released thus far.  Will Wii Party U do the trick?  Perhaps, though I doubt it.  Personally, I don't see any of the 2013 software bringing in anyone except people who were already Nintendo fans and were really just waiting for the library to build before buying in.  I think there will be minimal hype for the Wii U and that it will win very few new customers--by which I mean the people who are sitting back and saying, "impress me."

2014 is a different story.  I see the Wii U pulling nice numbers over Christmas '14 after the release of a few big guns and the expected release of a few more.  But the 2013 holiday season?  It's going to be more about holding the line than about advancing their position.