By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Any comparison pics of 480i and 480p.

There is a huge difference, but its hard to convey in pictures.

Around the Network

It also depends on what kind of T.V. you have. I bet you 9 times out of 10 that 480i would look a lot better on a non HDTV. Although for my ps2 I thought most of my games looked better without progressive scan turned on such as Fatal Frame III, God of War II, and Hulk Ultimate Destruction and I own an HDTV tube.

I own two hdtvs and a edtv. Just got one of the hdtvs. I also have a monitor for my computer capable of up to 720p+.

My opinion is that CRT's, DLPs, and LCoS are the best type of tv's for gaming. The LCDs and Plasmas don't come close in picture quality at least for now. I do love the new Samsung and Sony LCDs though.

ryu3000 said:
My opinion is that CRT's, DLPs, and LCoS are the best type of tv's for gaming. The LCDs and Plasmas don't come close in picture quality at least for now. I do love the new Samsung and Sony LCDs though.

Oh one is a crt and two are lcds.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:

@wiiforever

A/V (aka. composite) are the standard RCA cables you find with just about every TV-based device. They're the yellow, white, and red cables you refer to. The yellow is video, red and white are right and left channel audio. Composite video is a single stream, meaning all light and color data is distributed along the same feed; this leads to blurrier and more washed-out visuals.

S-Video is a wider plug, and looks a bit like a second-generation keyboard plug (ie. small and round, but still a bit bigger than an RCA plug). S-Video separates the light and color feeds, resulting in sharper images and clearer colors.

Component is a 3-cable video feed: Y, Cb, Cr (or black/white, blue chroma, red chroma). They're all shaped like standard RCA cable plugs, but are colored green, blue, and bright red respectively. Component splits color into two channels and sends the image itself through its own channel as well, resulting in high picture clarity and the clearest color you can reasonably expect to find for a TV.

ok- thanks sooo much. How much do these typically cost? 10$? (US)

The price depends on where you get them from. If you order off of Monoprice.com, you can get component cables for as little as $6. However, if you go for Amazon.com or the like, it can be as much as $28. I personally suggest you check the former instead of the latter. For, erm, obvious reasons.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

wiiforever said:
Sky Render said:

@wiiforever

A/V (aka. composite) are the standard RCA cables you find with just about every TV-based device. They're the yellow, white, and red cables you refer to. The yellow is video, red and white are right and left channel audio. Composite video is a single stream, meaning all light and color data is distributed along the same feed; this leads to blurrier and more washed-out visuals.

S-Video is a wider plug, and looks a bit like a second-generation keyboard plug (ie. small and round, but still a bit bigger than an RCA plug). S-Video separates the light and color feeds, resulting in sharper images and clearer colors.

Component is a 3-cable video feed: Y, Cb, Cr (or black/white, blue chroma, red chroma). They're all shaped like standard RCA cable plugs, but are colored green, blue, and bright red respectively. Component splits color into two channels and sends the image itself through its own channel as well, resulting in high picture clarity and the clearest color you can reasonably expect to find for a TV.

ok- thanks sooo much. How much do these typically cost? 10$? (US)

What did we say about reading the freaking thread? This whole thread is talking about various prices for such cables.

Also, DLPs look nice, just make sure it won't give you lag...my friend's tv is a DLP and it has significant lag.  You get used to it with most games, though music games like Guitar Hero are pretty much impossible. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@NJ5, the pics with the componet cables are all full of jaggies its really ugly. I have seen MP3 with composite cables on a SDTV and it looks better then the pics posted.

With the Zelda pics posted i have seen the game and its looks like the one on the left with composite. Thats on the GC one.