By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Any comparison pics of 480i and 480p.

Sky Render said:
@wiiforever

A/V (aka. composite) are the standard RCA cables you find with just about every TV-based device. They're the yellow, white, and red cables you refer to. The yellow is video, red and white are right and left channel audio.

S-Video is a wider plug, and looks a bit like a second-generation keyboard plug (ie. small and round, but still a bit bigger than an RCA plug).

Component is a 3-cable video feed: Y, Cb, Cr (or black/white, blue chroma, red chroma). They're all shaped like standard RCA cable plugs, but are colored green, blue, and bright red respectively.

Just to add that Wii's component cables also include two more cables for audio.

Summing up:

Composite cables: 1 video connector and 2 audio connectors (3 in total).

Component cables: 3 video connectors and 2 audio connectors (5 in total).

Naraku_Diabolos said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Now I wish I had an HDTV hehe. I got the component cable because I play the Wii more often at my friend's house than mine...but I still haven't played Metroid or Zelda with progressive scan.

Trust me, it will look like crap. When I played Endless Ocean (I think my friend needed to decrease the sharpness on his Samsung HDTV), the character models were pixelated. It looked horrible, like a PS2 in HD. Tried Galaxy and it was the same thing.

When I use the component cables without switching to 480p, the picture is more clear. I can't do that on my HDTV in my basement; it doesn't run progressive scan. But the component cables make a really good picture in just 480i, but crappy in 480p.

That's if you have a crappy TV which can't upscale 480p properly, don't blame the Wii or the cables for it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
S-Video, while miles better than standard composite video, is still technically the same type of feed as composite. Ergo it does not support progressive scan and usually does not support widescreen (certainly I've heard of no TVs that can output an S-Video signal in widescreen, but I suppose it's possible). S-Video cables are sold for the Wii from third-party peripheral makers, as are component cables.

There is technically no difference between a widescreen signal and a standard 4:3 signal, at least not over analog cables.  It just sends each line as an analog signal, and your TV fits the line to the width of its screen.  S-Video, Composite, and even RF all "support" widescreen (there's really nothing to support).   You're right that S-Video doesn't support progressive scan, though, as that requires twice as many lines to be sent.

@wiiforever: 

Red, White = stereo sound
Yellow = Composite video (lowest quality)
Black with little pins inside it = S-Video (good quality)
Red, Green, Blue = Component (best quality, supports progressive scan)

There's not much reason to go with Component over S-Video if you have an SDTV with no progressive scan, but Component is the way to go with an HDTV. 

Alright here are some comparisons of 480i and 480p on my Samsung 26" HDTV.

Super Mario Galaxy First:

480i:

480p:

While the difference may not be as big on the pics it looks huge while playing.

Okay Super Smash Bros Brawl now:

480i:

480p:

@gamingdevil: Those are both with component cables, right?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

There isn't too much of a difference in smg but brawl looks very different how did you get brawl btw.

Around the Network

I'd say there's a bigger difference with SMG, because that can't seriously be right with Brawl...it shouldn't be that dark.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@NJ5 nope, i used the one the Wii came with for the 480i shots and component for the 480p shots.

@sc94597, i'd agree with Ben... SMG has a bigger difference.

@Ben, let me try taking another pic of Brawl.

gamingdevil said:
@NJ5 nope, i used the one the Wii came with for the 480i shots and component for the 480p shots.

@sc94597, i'd agree with Ben... SMG has a bigger difference.

@Ben, let me try taking another pic of Brawl.

Now that I look at it again and don't take into consideration the lighting of the brawl pic it does look more of a difference than brawl. 

Brawl @ 480i 

I think metroid/zelda have the most differences. The other ones don't seem too different to me.