By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GTA5 360 adjusted down! OVERTRACKED!

Man, things really have changed since '08/early '09. Still, damn good numbers for both. And can't wait to see how Sony does starting on the right foot this gen.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
enditall727 said:

The ONLY reason why GTA 4 sold more on 360 was because it got downloadable content 1st.

Nah.

The 360 at the time was stomping the PS3 into the ground userbase-wise. The 360 had a 6/7 Million lead in sales, while the PS3 had only sold around 12 Million units. The userbase simply wasnt there for PS3 to push numbers as big as the 360 version could (added in with 360 exclusive advertising/bundles).

The PS3 had sold ~4 Million units in America, compared to the 360's ~10 Million at the time. If I remember correctly, the 360 was even winning in Europe at the time, too. Userbase gave the 360 the main advantage, the exclusive bundles/advertising/content just added to it.

I'd put it down to a bit of both of these points to be fair.

I think people tend to forget how lopsided the balance between 360/PS3 SKU's were in Europe at the time of GTAIV's launch (IIRC here in the UK the Arcade 360 was £140 and £250 for the Elite vs £300 minimum for the PS3, just as an example) + how utterly, unheathily obsessed Microsoft were with the GTA series back then, funding relatively pointless ports of the GTAIII-series games on the original Xbox and paying $50 million for the timed-exclusive episodes/primary advertising/lead development, having the original Xbox control scheme now standard etc. The episodes themselves aren't that significant, but it was certainly a lucrative marketing tool for good measure. As for why MS didn't bother this time, who knows, maybe they overestimated those factors themselves and assumed it would make a San Andreas PS2/OG Xbox sales difference, lol.

I wouldn't put it past the PS3 version also being overtracked, but it probably still has the edge with most of those factors no longer in circulation.

Guess I was right ^^ PS3 version should hold the lead and beat it LT

All hail the mighty bundles!

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

BHR-3 said:
lol why is this in the MSF section?

as stated no surprise since gta is more associated with PS remember gta 3-sa? aswell as PS3 having a larger install base and DF analysis of gta5 giving the edge to the ps3 version

Well GTA IV sold better on 360... 

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
PlayMatt said:
BHR-3 said:
lol why is this in the MSF section?

as stated no surprise since gta is more associated with PS remember gta 3-sa? aswell as PS3 having a larger install base and DF analysis of gta5 giving the edge to the ps3 version

Well GTA IV sold better on 360... 

Which is why it is considered an odd ball. GTA may never again sell better on an Xbox platform.

I hope :D

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

I figured the total gap would be about 2m with PS3 in the lead lifetime. Guess I woefully underestimated the PS3 and the bundles. And let's not forget that the digital version of GTAV is only available on PSN.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

ps3-sales! said:

Wow GTA5 just got adjusted WAY down on the 360. 

Global Weekly Chart

Week Ending 12th Oct 2013

Pos Game Weekly Total Week #
Pokemon X/Y (3DS)
Nintendo, Role-Playing
3,956,129 3,956,129 1
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
894,644 12,163,328 4
Grand Theft Auto V (X360)
Take-Two Interactive, Action
529,058 10,175,601 4
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Adventure
339,911 339,911 1
FIFA Soccer 14 (PS3)
Electronic Arts, Sports
236,555 2,891,333 3

As you can see, GTA5 for the 360 has been adjusted way down. If you go to the sales search, it is the USA where it was apparently overtracked. Last week read 7.2 million for US sales 360 version, now it stands at a smaller 5.86 million. Worldwide has probably been adjusted as well.
The ps3 version now stands around 2 million higher than the 360 version. 

Thoughts???

it was because of that bundle 

Did you know ps4 only supports a 2.4 wireless signal?

The xbox one supports a wireless adapter capable of 2.4 - 5.0ghz.

The ONLY next gen console to do so. 

Well as of the 18th the game is also available digital on the 360 in the games on demand section.  As a matter of fact a larger percentage of the 360's physical library is actually available in digital form compared to the PS3 physical library of games.  Only difference is that some physical games are available day one as digital downloads on the PS3 where as most 360 games usually take a couple of weeks or more before they are available digitally.

CGI-Quality said:
XxGame4lifexX said:
ps3-sales! said:

Wow GTA5 just got adjusted WAY down on the 360. 

Global Weekly Chart

Week Ending 12th Oct 2013

As you can see, GTA5 for the 360 has been adjusted way down. If you go to the sales search, it is the USA where it was apparently overtracked. Last week read 7.2 million for US sales 360 version, now it stands at a smaller 5.86 million. Worldwide has probably been adjusted as well.
The ps3 version now stands around 2 million higher than the 360 version. 

Thoughts???

it was because of that bundle 

And Europe, and (now) Japan. The bundle contributed, yep, but that wasn't the only reason.

It was the main reason plus the DD version too. Only on psn 

Did you know ps4 only supports a 2.4 wireless signal?

The xbox one supports a wireless adapter capable of 2.4 - 5.0ghz.

The ONLY next gen console to do so.