By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was the Wii U's launch lineup more anticipated than the PS4's and One's is?

Salnax said:
jlmurph2 said:
Why is this poll a factor? Why not just look at pre-order numbers for just US and see how much anticipation PS4 and Xbox One have. There are US pre-orders that are already hit in the top 10 of Wii U global software totals. Which doesn't even include the rest of the world for the 2 consoles.

First of all, VGChartz's pre-order numbers tend to be inflated. But beyond that, let's look at said numbers. The leading XBone and PS4 titles, Call of Duty: Ghosts, are outperformed by their 7th gen counterparts. Likewise, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed for for the PS4 are outperformed by the 360 versions. Sure, Killzone is loolking to be a big seller, as are a couple of One games, but games on the PlayStation and Xbox have worse legs than Nintendo games tend to, so their already inflated 80,000 or whatever preorders aren't that impressive.

Of course they are being outperformed by their counterparts, you have to take into account that there are around 80 million of each of those 2 7th gens. And that those games come out on 7th gen 1st. So some people will actually use the 10 dollar trade in for the next gen versions. I'm simply stating that while this poll tries to put a spin on anticipation, the title of this forum, while being a question, is far from accurate. If people were that excited about the Wii U GAMES then more people would have actually bought it. Pre Orders for the PS4 and Xbox One are already past the first 3 months of the Wii U.

Around the Network

First, I think the misconception that Nintendo fans are outnumbered by Playstation fans on this website needs to end. At this point, I think it's clear that the only ones who say that are only trying to prolong the illusion that they are some kind of freedom fighters heroically battling against difficult odds.

More importantly, the Wii and the PS3 are both part of this equation--that is, the Wii is relevant by its absence from the equation. Besides the 3DS, what choices did a Nintendo fan have to vote for when this poll was conducted? Compare that with the choices of a Playstation fan and I think you'll see quite a difference. I would bet that, like a lot of the Playstation voters, many of the NIntendo fans in that poll didn't actually intend to pick up a Wii U at launch but, unlike Playstation fans, they had few current gen titles to select.

Viktor said:
Funny how bad the PS4 launch lineup actually is but still doesn´t get criticisized by the so called "hardcoregamers".

Its got a solid line up of about 30games at launch and at least 1 game will appeal to someone. Whats bad about that or are you just trolling?

pokoko said:
First, I think the misconception that Nintendo fans are outnumbered by Playstation fans on this website needs to end. At this point, I think it's clear that the only ones who say that are only trying to prolong the illusion that they are some kind of freedom fighters heroically battling against difficult odds.

More importantly, the Wii and the PS3 are both part of this equation--that is, the Wii is relevant by its absence from the equation. Besides the 3DS, what choices did a Nintendo fan have to vote for when this poll was conducted? Compare that with the choices of a Playstation fan and I think you'll see quite a difference. I would bet that, like a lot of the Playstation voters, many of the NIntendo fans in that poll didn't actually intend to pick up a Wii U at launch but, unlike Playstation fans, they had few current gen titles to select.

This. There was Beyond and Gt6 that probably stole a few spots.

Max King of the Wild said:
pokoko said:

This. There was Beyond and Gt6 that probably stole a few spots.

True. Also, another factor to consider is that Nintendo usually announces games fairly late in the development process, whereas some PlayStation games, both from Sony and 3rd parties, are typically announced fairly early on. The chief exception on Nintendo's part is Smash Bros.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:

The Nintendo fandom, besides the Wii U launch titles, was also distracted by latter Wii U games like Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends and the 3DS in general, which had a new Paper Mario coming out as well as RPG's like Fire Emblem. Plus, back in late 2012, the PlayStation and Xbox fans were a bigger presence on this site; the most anticipated game was The Last of Us, the Wii U was about 100 points behind the PS3, and the Vita was still considered a serious competitor for the handhled market against the 3DS. Heck, Halo 4 was the fourth most anticipated exclusive on any console November 1, 2012! With all of that taken into account, NintendoLand's modest numbers may make more sense.

If I honestly had to guess what went wrong with Epic Mickey, it was a problem with Warren Spector. Or rather, his specific set of skills and experience. From what I know of him and his work, he's a great game maker, but Epic Mickey was his first game in the platforming genre. It probably also didn't help that he basically released nothing between 2004 and 2010, possibly leading to the level designs people have called archaic in Epic Mickey. Come to think of it, he made most of his reputation in the 90's, and Epic Mickey has been called stuff like "the last great N64 platformer."

Maybe if Epic Mickey were released, say in 2005, when 3D platformers were a lost art, people would have been kinder to it. But in recent years, peoples' expectations of the genre of changed, thanks to Ratchett & Clank, Super Mario Galaxy, and even some of the Sonic games.

Maybe, although I think Spector's involvement really made Epic Mickey shine. The light RPG elements transformed Epic Mickey into something more than just a 3D platformer.

I haven't yet played the sequel (I bought it for Wii and will play it soon with my fiancee), so I can't comment on its quality. But maybe the critical response sunk it. Epic Mickey is probably one of those games where word of mouth and reviews can turn the tide one way or another. It certainly wasn't for lack of advertising, or for being on too few platforms. Although I guess you could argue it would have done better as a Wii/Wii U exclusive. The fanbase was already there, the game is better suited to IR controls (although Move would work, also), and Wii owners are accustomed to local multiplayer.

The Wii U's launch lineup wasn't an amazing one, and still is far better than the One's and Ps4 launch lineups. Both MS and sony clearly rushed the system out regardless of lack of software. Or maybe many of their SW teams are still working with the 360/Ps3 (in sony's case, clearly the problem is not an extra investment on the vita given the lack of games)

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

If you talk about number of game yes but about sale Call of duty Ghost will outsell any wii u launch game.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

carlos710 said:
...maybe many of their SW teams are still working with the 360/Ps3

That is definately true. This holiday, Sony is supporting the PS3 with several big games, which due to backwards compatibility issues, will be unplayable on the PS4. That can't be helping the newer platform.

Love and tolerate.

MikeRox said:
I don't need points to tell me.

Nintendoland and ZombiU were both far more "oooooh that looks interesting" than anything on either the PS4 or XBONE lineup, and thats coming from someone with a PS4 pre ordered.

Pretty much this. I have my PS4 pre-ordered but no games currently. I don't even know what I'm buying at launch yet.