By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - COD vs GTA vs Pokemon who will bank the most?

Who will bank the most?

Pokemon 165 40.54%

COD 29 7.13%

GTA 182 44.72%

candy crush bitches! 30 7.37%

Total:406
ListerOfSmeg said:
GdaTyler said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
I'd go with Pokémon. Its not going to push as many copies as GTA or COD but it also costs a lot less to make and will have revenue from the cartoon and toys, cards, etc.Plus it has broader appeal. Everyone can play pokemon or watch the show. not everyone can access GTA

The thing is, though it's sad, everyone can access GTA. Children shouldn't, but their parents still buy it for them anyways.

Some parents but not all. Also not everyone owns a PS3 or 360. I know I dont. Few of my friends do as they are PC gamers. One got his first console ever this gen. He got a 360. He gets easily impressed with games and tells me how hard they are. I come over and blow through half the game in no time or solve a puzzle that had in stumped in a few minutes. There are after all 7 billion people on the planet and only 150 million or so PS360 out there, if that.

Tvs are in 90% or more homes in the US. Kids love animated shows and pokemon especially. The ad revenue the show will generate will top whatever revenue Rockstar gets from GTA

Why don't you put forward some figures instead of completely guessing, christ.

The only part of the pokemon platform that is still successful is the games. The anime, cards ect are not remotely popular anymore.

Around the Network

COD by far if you look at it logically. They sell 20 million+ every single year. GTA is gonna sell maybe 30 million, but that's once every 5 years or so.

It's not even a contest.

pokoko said:
GTA has already grossed over 1 billion dollars and it's still selling well. Just think about that. Pokemon is going to sell fantastic but we're talking a different scale in terms of money earned. CoD, unless there is a huge drop off, should tip the 1 billions mark, as well. They've got increased development costs, sure, but I doubt it will come close to what GTA had. However, Activision spends a mint on advertising for CoD.

I'm gonna say GTA. I think it will gross over 1.25 billion this year, easily, which is just insane.

Except... for some reason the OP is counting the whole franchise.  So maybe 2 COD games...

and then Pokemon.  The games are really subserviant to the franchise at this point.

Between 1995 and 2005, Pokemon made around 30 billion dollars.   So like, 3 Billion a year... and that number is probably backloaded, though lower then that backloaded number.

I can't find anything more recent... but it would be far from shocking if the Pokemon franchise eclipsed that via all it's liscensing, television show, card games, toys...

Basically, looking at Pokemon's sales by looking primarily at the games, is like looking at Marvel comics as a primary example of the profit of the company.  (Or Star Wars for that matter.)

The main product now is now more used to just keep up the marketing juggernaut that is everything else.

I'd look up the financial reports but my PDF reader is all fucked up for some reason and won't load anything.

Edit: Found it.   It made about 1.6 Billion last year.

http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/top-150-global-licensors

Assuming Pokemon XY, are bigger then Black and White 2.  Pokemon seems like to take it... by quite a bit hoenstly, as the new pokemon will likely lead to an increase in revenue.

Seece said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
GdaTyler said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

Tvs are in 90% or more homes in the US. Kids love animated shows and pokemon especially. The ad revenue the show will generate will top whatever revenue Rockstar gets from GTA

Why don't you put forward some figures instead of completely guessing, christ.

The only part of the pokemon platform that is still successful is the games. The anime, cards ect are not remotely popular anymore.

Looks like a premature statement.

2012 looks like Pokemon did about 1.6  billion between games and liscensing.  This year can only be expected to grow much more, thanks to X-Y offering plenty of brand new liscensing oppurtunities.

With the Pokemon trading cards still be an industry leader in the TCG market.

http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/top-150-global-licensors

Guys quit bringing in facts and figures, lets try and keep it a fair fight.

Around the Network

Pokemon, by far. Because it will eventually outsell the others, and Nintendo has spent far less money developing it.

DevilRising said:
Pokemon, by far. Because it will eventually outsell the others, and Nintendo has spent far less money developing it.

You think X/Y will sell more than the originals? Because GTA is basically guaranteed to at this point.

Why on earth did pokemon get more votes then COD ? (This site should limit the voters to actual users and not some stranger obsessed with some corporations.)

with Kasz Info I change it to Pokemon.

Currently GTA is at 1.25 billion, and I'd guess it could get to 1.8ish billion this year. Subtracting Dev costs would put it at ~1.6 billion. But if you want to get technical, not all dev costs are associated with this since it's been in development a few years.

Pokemon I'd think would undoubtedly pass 1.6 billion from last year and I'd guess the X and Y release with enhanced merchandising would be enough to put it past my guess for GTA's mark.

Over a longer less arbitrary time frame that's actually more meaningful, GTA would be in last by a lot, since it essentially has to compete with 5 Call of Duty's and ~8 Billion Dollars of Pokemon.

fatslob-:O said:
Why on earth did pokemon get more votes then COD ? (This site should limit the voters to actual users and not some stranger obsessed with some corporations.)

well a lot of people think pokemon have great profit power.... and COD have a bad reputation in VGChartz unfortunately...