By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetric VS. Asymmetric Sticks: the final battle

I prefer symmetrical. It just works better in my head. I have a third-party controller for my PC where you can switch to either one and I just don't like asymmetrical for FPS. TPS doesn't really matter much.

Honestly, though, it's not a big deal. It's just which one you get used to. If this is a deal breaker for anyone then I hope they never play any older systems. I've nearly caused permanent damage to myself with the Atari joystick and the NES torture device, two sticks being in slightly different places means nothing.

Also, before anyone starts that "prime placement" nonsense, the 360 and PS3 controllers have different shapes, where your thumbs fall naturally is different. Not that a couple inches either way matters. I don't care if you staple some buttons to a dog, I'll still play on it.

Around the Network

Do dogs give you haptic feedback?^

I like the WiiU gamepad placement of both analog sticks above the buttons. Although I keep hitting y when I want to use the sword in Zelda, my muscle memory doesn't want to let go of [ ] as the primary hit button.

Now we just need 1 more variation to complete the set, only the right stick above the buttons.

I would have said asymmetrical for sure before using the Wii U Pro controller, but now I have to say Nintendo's alternative Symmetrical setup is by far the best for FPS's, while assymetrical is still my favorite for action/adventure games which have you using the face buttons more often. IMO, the placement of the right stick doesn't matter too much, but for optimum comfort the left stick has to be higher up on the controller. My left thumb starts to feel a bit strained when using sticks that are placed too low.

That said, I find the Dualshock setup to be the best for games that use the D-pad for primary control, so...

Before the wiiU controller... Xbox 360 (Asymmetric) controller no question... After the wiiU controller (Symmetric)

Idk how Nintendo does it... but they do it and they do it the best... Gamecube has the best Asymmetric controller and the wiiU has the best Symmetric controller (excluding the analog triggers that is)

That might change after ps4 and Xbox one but from a few people, they like the wiiU controller better, least in terms of the D-pad anyway and button placement

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Symmetric is the only way to be. After all my thumbs are in the same spot so should my sticks be.

I don't think it matters. You will adjust to whatever you're playing and that will become the norm for you. If I have to pick...A persons hands do normally sit symmetrically. But, if we're talking PS vs. Xbox the big difference isn't the sticks, it's what part of your hands the controller rests in. The Xbox controller sits in the palms where as the DS3 sits in your fingers.

symetrical, but just like wii U pro controller

Trunkin said:

I would have said asymmetrical for sure before using the Wii U Pro controller, but now I have to say Nintendo's alternative Symmetrical setup is by far the best for FPS's, while assymetrical is still my favorite for action/adventure games which have you using the face buttons more often. IMO, the placement of the right stick doesn't matter too much, but for optimum comfort the left stick has to be higher up on the controller. My left thumb starts to feel a bit strained when using sticks that are placed too low.

That said, I find the Dualshock setup to be the best for games that use the D-pad for primary control, so...

That is mainly why NIntendo's Classic controller has the sticks on the bottom. (I use it mainly for fighters

Symmetrical, just because it's easier and better