By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetric VS. Asymmetric Sticks: the final battle

Mmmfishtacos said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Symmetric is the only way to be. After all my thumbs are in the same spot so should my sticks be.

I've never really understood this logic. Surely that's the case with shooters, but in most other games your left and right thumbs are going to be covering the left stick and face buttons respectively, so your fingers are gonna be staggered most of the time with symmetrical sticks anyway. :

Like what other game types? 

RPGs, Action/Adventure, Platformers, and Racing games.

Around the Network
nnodley said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Symmetric is the only way to be. After all my thumbs are in the same spot so should my sticks be.

I've never really understood this logic. Surely that's the case with shooters, but in most other games your left and right thumbs are going to be covering the left stick and face buttons respectively, so your fingers are gonna be staggered most of the time with symmetrical sticks anyway. :

Yeah in a fixed camera game like god of war, but in pretty much every game I play I keep my thumbs on both analog sticks(dualshock).  Not too many games I play have a fixed camera.

Seems like we may simply have a different way of playing some games. I usually hover over the face buttons and move my thumb to the stick to make occasional camera adjustments when necessary.

Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

RPG's depends on which one. Action adventure using the camera stick often just about as much as shooters, platformes if 2d is best played with the D pad anyway. if 3d your still on the stick more often than not. and racing games, nope use the stick for gas and break in GT. while mapping a second break to the R2 trigger.  of course this set up is also best for old school games too.

I prefer symmetrical sticks because my hands are symmetrical. Asymmetrical sticks feel disjointed and uncomfortable.

Symmetrical, my preference.
Its really all about the placement of the sticks though. It dosent matter if its symmetrical or not if they are placed uncomfortably.

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

RPG's depends on which one. Action adventure using the camera stick often just about as much as shooters, platformes if 2d is best played with the D pad anyway. if 3d your still on the stick more often than not. and racing games, nope use the stick for gas and break in GT. while mapping a second break to the R2 trigger.  of course this set up is also best for old school games too.

Ah, I forgot about Sims. I was thinking more along the lines of Arcade and Kart racers. My experience with Action adventure has been different, though, I find myself using the buttons far more often than the right stick, so assymetrical just feels right in that case. Meh, different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I do understand your perspective now.

Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Ah, I forgot about Sims. I was thinking more along the lines of Arcade and Kart racers. My experience with Action adventure has been different, though, I find myself using the buttons far more often than the right stick, so assymetrical just feels right in that case. Meh, different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I do understand your perspective now.

For sure. It's just preference.

Symmetrical, not that it matters. I think it only takes time to adjust from one to the other and people are just edgy. If "primary" positioning is a real thing than I still prefer symmetrical because it places the d-pad as primary.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Trunkin said:
nnodley said:
Yeah in a fixed camera game like god of war, but in pretty much every game I play I keep my thumbs on both analog sticks(dualshock).  Not too many games I play have a fixed camera.

Seems like we may simply have a different way of playing some games. I usually hover over the face buttons and move my thumb to the stick to make occasional camera adjustments when necessary.

Yeah definitely.  Only time I can really think that I keep my thumb over the face buttons is in like Assassin's Creed or a free camera hack and slash.

Symmetrical because my hands are symmetrical!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.