By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetric VS. Asymmetric Sticks: the final battle

Kyuu said:
JayWood2010 said:

I think which controller being the best is completely reliant on the genre. For games that require quick reflexes and responsiveness, Dualshock does it better than anything else in my opinion, due to its superior D-Pad, light and flat buttons and softer convex sticks. On the other hand games that require accurate aim from distance are better handled with X360's controller.

But the cool thing about both X360 and Gamecube controller is how they comfortably sit on your hand. Another clear advantage is their triggers. Pressing a gamecube trigger is like gently squeezing boobs LOL you gotta love it.

I would agree.  Not so much with GC and X360, but with other controllers in general.  X360 is overall just a better controller than GC from design but with PS3 and X360 for example X360 has been better for shooters in general where as PS3 has been better for fighters.  Not really much of a difference with racing beyond the trigger difference but if you really want a good racing experience you might as well get a wheel lol

Around the Network
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
Trunkin said:

I would have said asymmetrical for sure before using the Wii U Pro controller, but now I have to say Nintendo's alternative Symmetrical setup is by far the best for FPS's, while assymetrical is still my favorite for action/adventure games which have you using the face buttons more often. IMO, the placement of the right stick doesn't matter too much, but for optimum comfort the left stick has to be higher up on the controller. My left thumb starts to feel a bit strained when using sticks that are placed too low.

That said, I find the Dualshock setup to be the best for games that use the D-pad for primary control, so...

That is mainly why NIntendo's Classic controller has the sticks on the bottom. (I use it mainly for fighters

Ahh, the Classic Controller. It may very well be the ultimate controller for sidescrollers and fighting games. The D-pad and buttons on that thing send shivers of pure joy surging through my fingertips every time I use it.

Don't have a preference. As a multi platform gamer I actually prefer not getting tied down to one because it will hurt my abilities with the other. I enjoy learning and adapting to new play styles.
I cant tell you how many people I saw commenting on sites last gen that were so tied to one control scheme, point and click was beyond them. That to me is sad and I never want to be one of those people

Mmmfishtacos said:
Symmetric is the only way to be. After all my thumbs are in the same spot so should my sticks be.

I've never really understood this logic. Surely that's the case with shooters, but in most other games your left and right thumbs are going to be covering the left stick and face buttons respectively, so your fingers are gonna be staggered most of the time with symmetrical sticks anyway. :

I don't think I've ever really used asymmetrical analogs.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
X360 controller is 9oz.  If you cant manage that then you are pretty feeble.  This is the first time EVER that ive heard that it is too heavy with an extremely heavy 4oz difference -_-  

I have heard it feels solid and sturdy though :D

I didnt even mention XBO.  For one i HAVE NOT played it and will wait until i do to judge it.  Id recommend this to everybody before being overly biased.

Exactly that up there

If the 360 controller is too heavy for you and you are older then 6-9 months of age... problem is you : )

The DS3 gets crap about it hurting peoples hands. I'd file that one in the weak hands folder too

Its really the weight distribution its heavier but eh.

Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Symmetric is the only way to be. After all my thumbs are in the same spot so should my sticks be.

I've never really understood this logic. Surely that's the case with shooters, but in most other games your left and right thumbs are going to be covering the left stick and face buttons respectively, so your fingers are gonna be staggered most of the time with symmetrical sticks anyway. :

Yeah in a fixed camera game like god of war, but in pretty much every game I play I keep my thumbs on both analog sticks(dualshock).  Not too many games I play have a fixed camera.

nnodley said:
Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Yeah in a fixed camera game like god of war, but in pretty much every game I play I keep my thumbs on both analog sticks(dualshock).  Not too many games I play have a fixed camera.

Yeah the thing is the lack of having to over extend your thumbs in an awkward position.

Trunkin said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Like what other game types?