By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - TRUE XB1 vs PS4 spec comparison

fallen said:
RenCutypoison said:
fallen said:

X1:

e) 1.75 ghz Jaguar (Plus SHAPE audio chip likely ~1 CPU core of audio processing, +cloud support which we will ignore for now but could offload things like AI from X1 CPU in the future)

Reading shit again.

Saying cloud support on hardware side is stupid. PS4 and Wii U are connected to the internet too.

Can you point me to where Sony and (LOL) Nintendo execs mention their array of servers set up and offered to developers to help their consoles?

That's really the difference here. MS has their Azure cloud infrastructure ready to go, because it's a part of their business.  Someone will bring up Sony's Gakai here, but that's complelety different tech. It's more in line with what Microsoft calls "Rio" (cloud streaming service, which they demonstrated streaming Halo 4 to a windows phone)

I did not include Cloud in the comparison anyway, simply mentioned it as an aside. We will see. But I also think it's silly to pretend it doesn't exist. I'd say more that the jury is out how much it will help.

Even if it simply is used for dedicated servers for every multiplayer game, that alone saves CPU. I think AI might be another lowhanging fruit to offload from the local CPU, but again without any proof yet, I dont include it in my spec comparison. The picture could change in 2-3 years though.

Could you mention where MS mentionned it would be free for developpers ?

Plus Most devs will likely not use this power correctly, as cloud computing is only at his beginning. And finally, do you really think multiplat's will have dedicated servers on One and not on Ps4U ? 

They are a lot of awesome infrastructure in the world for cloud computing, azure is juste one of them. If this goes well on one, I see no reason (except money) for devs to not do the same on other platforms.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
fallen said:
RenCutypoison said:
fallen said:

X1:

e) 1.75 ghz Jaguar (Plus SHAPE audio chip likely ~1 CPU core of audio processing, +cloud support which we will ignore for now but could offload things like AI from X1 CPU in the future)

Reading shit again.

Saying cloud support on hardware side is stupid. PS4 and Wii U are connected to the internet too.

Can you point me to where Sony and (LOL) Nintendo execs mention their array of servers set up and offered to developers to help their consoles?

That's really the difference here. MS has their Azure cloud infrastructure ready to go, because it's a part of their business.  Someone will bring up Sony's Gakai here, but that's complelety different tech. It's more in line with what Microsoft calls "Rio" (cloud streaming service, which they demonstrated streaming Halo 4 to a windows phone)

I did not include Cloud in the comparison anyway, simply mentioned it as an aside. We will see. But I also think it's silly to pretend it doesn't exist. I'd say more that the jury is out how much it will help.

Even if it simply is used for dedicated servers for every multiplayer game, that alone saves CPU. I think AI might be another lowhanging fruit to offload from the local CPU, but again without any proof yet, I dont include it in my spec comparison. The picture could change in 2-3 years though.

MS Azure won't do shit for graphics just so you know otherwise they would be losing billions upons billions and that would be the end of the xbox divison. 

Huh? I'm skeptical of cloud graphics help because of latancy. Money is not the biggest concern there...

MS said they have 3 X1's worth of cloud CPU power on offer to developers for each X1 IIRC. Again, CPU not GPU.

Too me the absolute easiest thing for cloud to help in would be AI. Forza's drivetars dont offload any local CPU that I know of though.

In the end I am NOT counting cloud. But I find it intriguing for the future and we will see.

fallen said:
Zappykins said:
Interesting, would you mind pointing to your sources? It will help answer some questions.

And I see it's already brought out some misinformation.

Curious, why are you pulling out one core on the PS4 for audio? It can also do some with 4 CU's of it's GPU (I know) and does have a little audio chip.

Well, I did it both ways, hence -9% raw.

PS4 audio chip just does compress/decompress.

Doing audio on CU's is apparently pretty darn difficult (difficult to synchronize due to high GPU latency).

Regardless, if they are forced to use up some of their 4 "extra" CU 's on audio, I think that's a win for X1. You would have to adjust those GFLOP numbers for PS4 down.

From what I've heard SHAPE is equal to about 1 core of audio processing after Kinect reserves. This is a VERY ballpark figure. SHAPE could be even more of a beast, but much of it (beyond the 1 core) is reserved for Kinect audio processing (which IMO sucks, I hate when X1 is weaker for Kinect's sake).

The PS4 has the audio managed by the OS (so managed by one of the 2 reserved OS cores). "Custom Audio Block: Access mediated by OS" and it has a hardware chip in order to encode and decode audio streams. The only jobs the CUs would do is raycasting (if needed) but the XOne will have to do it by its CUs. And the Shape won't do all audio jobs like reverbs.

But the effects won't be done on the CUs please stop that fallacy. The only audio work that would need to be done on CUs are the one like raycasting that need the geometry (3D models) coordinates and the compute oriented PS4 GPU (Cerny magic stuff) will be perfect for it.

The audio advantage of Xone (if it has one) can't and won't be transformed into an graphics advantage. The best case is that you'll have maybe a better sound on a few first party games. And finally we don't even have the confirmation of what part of Shape is available to the developpers. But we do know it can't do neither raycastings, neither reverbs and that it is an assumption that it can do some effects like distortions.

So it is really a leap of faith to conclude that Shape gives XOne any GPU advantage on PS4. Anyway you can take 10% off the Xone GPU Flops number, because it HAS been confirmed by Microsoft, not just a rumour this one. And those 10% are for Kinect and Snap mode, so don't take those off the PS4 GPU numbers because it has neither kinect nor Snap modes.

fallen said:
fatslob-:O said:
fallen said:
RenCutypoison said:
fallen said:

X1:

Reading shit again.

MS Azure won't do shit for graphics just so you know otherwise they would be losing billions upons billions and that would be the end of the xbox divison. 

Huh? I'm skeptical of cloud graphics help because of latancy. Money is not the biggest concern there...

MS said they have 3 X1's worth of cloud CPU power on offer to developers for each X1 IIRC. Again, CPU not GPU.

Too me the absolute easiest thing for cloud to help in would be AI. Forza's drivetars dont offload any local CPU that I know of though.

In the end I am NOT counting cloud. But I find it intriguing for the future and we will see.

Then you should cross out the cloud because it's almost a non facter in terms of graphics and performance for what people here care for and btw money would be a big concern for trying to improve visuals seeing as having $100 graphics card for the millions at the expense of microsoft's poket is quite costly. 

I think this is a pretty useless thread since noone actually seem to which one is more powerful. I am, however, amazed at the number of negative posts flooding in from pro PS people. Is it hard to just leave a MS thread to the MS fans and let them discuss the matter for themselves?

Around the Network

Wow how can you say that there is no advantage by the PS4 having ddr5 ram? The ddr5 ram is a pretty decent improvement upon the aged ddr3 ram the the XBONE is using. Also with the PS4 using Gaikai I find it very unlikely that the PS4 will not have a similar cloud service to that offered by MS. The only difference is it isnt forced onto gamers.

Puppyroach said:
I think this is a pretty useless thread since noone actually seem to which one is more powerful. I am, however, amazed at the number of negative posts flooding in from pro PS people. Is it hard to just leave a MS thread to the MS fans and let them discuss the matter for themselves?

Everyone knows which is more powerful

How is a VS thread a MS only thread. 

Drakester said:
Wow how can you say that there is no advantage by the PS4 having ddr5 ram? The ddr5 ram is a pretty decent improvement upon the aged ddr3 ram the the XBONE is using. Also with the PS4 using Gaikai I find it very unlikely that the PS4 will not have a similar cloud service to that offered by MS. The only difference is it isnt forced onto gamers.

None of the consoles use DDR5 Ram, it doesn't exist yet, DDR4 is coming to the PC however.

Semantics aside, it doesn't matter if it uses DDR3 or GDDR5, 256Bit DDR3 can equal 128bit GDDR5 in terms of bandwidth at the same clocks.
If Microsoft pushed for 512bit DDR3 they could potentially have had more memory bandwidth than the Playstation 4.
However, that would have meant more PCB layers and thus traces and a more complex memory controller which would have driven up costs.
That could *potentially* have been mitigated by dropping 1.6 Billion transisters spent on the eSRAM.

I personally wouldn't have a clue if a 512bit DDR3 memory bus would have been cheaper in the short-term even with the eSRAM dropped, in the long term it won't be as Microsoft gets the APU fabbed at a lower fabrication process.

Also on average, DDR3 has lower latency than GDDR5, however we are only talking roughly 20% here, not to mention GPU's tend not to give a rats ass about memory latency anyway or what kind of advantage/disadvantage the eSRAM does to memory access latency either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Cheers.

Drakester said:

I have a feeling that you have no idea what you're talking about. From the fact that you keep saying "ddr5" and comparing Gaikai to Azure which are two completely different things. Gaikai is not computing anything, it will be a streaming service like Netflix.