By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inafune:‘If a Creator Hasn’t Played Mario, They’re Probably not a good Creator’

Mr Khan said:
fatslob-:O said:
That's a pretty bad generalization.

I should say not. Whatever genre you work in, you probably owe something to Nintendo, pretty much unless you're in text RPGs. The historical impact of their works are foundational to game design as a whole, and if you think you can ignore the foundations, then you need a lesson in humility.

It's like anyone who aspires to be a great movie director, "Birth of a Nation" (white supremacist morals aside) is required viewing. If you haven't seen it, you can't understand where the medium's been and can make no credible claim towards contributing to the medium in a progressive way. So it is with video games and Mario, or Zelda. So much of what present games take for granted comes from these resources, and you cannot be groundbreaking without appreciating those who broke the ground that you stand upon, or more importantly, understanding why they were so successful.

So since you owe it to nintendo you must play their games eh? First of all, Nintendo furthered the game industry not because they were doing any of us favors but because they were making money for themselves. Don't act like it was a great act of altruism. Entertainment value  by nature is subjective and  as such, good entertainment is subjectiveas well.

Some people really do think Mario sucks and shouldn't be required to play it just to do their jobs. I think Mario is a stereotypical mess that has somehow flown under the radar for years while people complain about other issues in gaming. It started the trend of the weak, damsel-in-distress female characters in gaming as we know it yet is never subject to the blame alongside other games because Miyamoto is supposed to be some kind of god of gaming.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
Mr Khan said:

For the present day you can make that argument (you'd likely lose it, but you could make it). For gaming history? No. That opinion does not have a leg to stand on.

Yes, it pretty much invented the classic platform game. In the 80's. So i agree with you. Today's mario games are overrated. Are they still good games? In my opinion, no. It's the exact same game that it was 25 years ago. 

Speaking purely on 2D mario games. The 3D ones are superb although they don't innovate as much as the previous iteration. 

In view of the OP, what Inafune seems to be trying to say is not whether today's Mario games are overrated, good or not, but rather that Mario in all its heritage (he goes on to name his favorite, SMB3 on the NES) is part of a sort of developer's bible, from which a dev can take a pattern and work from it, so as to infuse their games with creative awesomeness.

I think that's what he means, and that would make perfect sense coming from the maker of Megaman and the upcoming MN9.

Pristine20 said:

So since you owe it to nintendo you must play their games eh? First of all, Nintendo furthered the game industry not because they were doing any of us favors but because they were making money for themselves. Don't act like it was a great act of altruism. Entertainment value  by nature is subjective and  as such, good entertainment is subjectiveas well.

Some people really do think Mario sucks and shouldn't be required to play it just to do their jobs. I think Mario is a stereotypical mess that has somehow flown under the radar for years while people complain about other issues in gaming. It started the trend of the weak, damsel-in-distress female characters in gaming as we know it yet is never subject to the blame alongside other games because Miyamoto is supposed to be some kind of god of gaming. 

Holy mother of cherrypicking. The themes and story of Mario are full of stereotypes and cheesy art, but I think what Inafune was referring to was the creative  genius in gameplay innovation, as well as not taking itself too seriously. It's pretty transparent from the OP.

I think it is good for any game designer to experience tent pole games to better understand what makes a game good and mechanisms behind that design. To me Mario is definitely one of those tent poles of gaming and especially is you make a plat former owe it to yourself to see the best the genre has to offer.

Of course I cannot imagine a gamer not being exposed to Mario. Growing up the Bros. Trilogy and World were kind of games seemed like everyone who gamed owned.

Mr Khan said:

I should say not. Whatever genre you work in, you probably owe something to Nintendo, pretty much unless you're in text RPGs. The historical impact of their works are foundational to game design as a whole, and if you think you can ignore the foundations, then you need a lesson in humility.

It's like anyone who aspires to be a great movie director, "Birth of a Nation" (white supremacist morals aside) is required viewing. If you haven't seen it, you can't understand where the medium's been and can make no credible claim towards contributing to the medium in a progressive way. So it is with video games and Mario, or Zelda. So much of what present games take for granted comes from these resources, and you cannot be groundbreaking without appreciating those who broke the ground that you stand upon, or more importantly, understanding why they were so successful.

I have to say. You nailed it.

Ignoring the past and its importance to what we have today is simply... ignorance.

Pristine20 said:
Mr Khan said:

Depends on what you mean by "do their jobs." If you're anyone involved with *touching* gameplay design, it should definitely be required that you play the most fundamental games that created modern gaming. I'd say (even though i haven't played or only barely played a few of these myself): Doom 1, Super Mario Bros 3, Legend of Zelda 1, Final Fantasy I, and one of the early Ultima games. Tetris and Pac-Man not wholly required but very severely recommended.

If a person is designing gameplay and worlds without having played these games, i would very much question their credentials.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Games are very different today compared to what nintendo created as ground breaking in the past. They may have had a big impact on game design but I'd go as far to say that third parties overall did more in the past recent years to make more revolutionary ideas than nintendo does now. Nintendo is not humble enough anymore to disrupt the idustry.

happydolphin said:
ps3-sales! said:
Mr Khan said:

For the present day you can make that argument (you'd likely lose it, but you could make it). For gaming history? No. That opinion does not have a leg to stand on.

Yes, it pretty much invented the classic platform game. In the 80's. So i agree with you. Today's mario games are overrated. Are they still good games? In my opinion, no. It's the exact same game that it was 25 years ago. 

Speaking purely on 2D mario games. The 3D ones are superb although they don't innovate as much as the previous iteration. 

In view of the OP, what Inafune seems to be trying to say is not whether today's Mario games are overrated, good or not, but rather that Mario in all its heritage (he goes on to name his favorite, SMB3 on the NES) is part of a sort of developer's bible, from which a dev can take a pattern and work from it, so as to infuse their games with creative awesomeness.

I think that's what he means, and that would make perfect sense coming from the maker of Megaman and the upcoming MN9.

Pristine20 said:

Holy mother of cherrypicking. The themes and story of Mario are full of stereotypes and cheesy art, but I think what Inafune was referring to was the creative  genius in gameplay innovation, as well as not taking itself too seriously. It's pretty transparent from the OP.

"Creative genius in gameplay innovation" is nothing more than jumping up and down while moving from left to right to me. That's as subjective as it gets. The points you praise Mario for are so subjective that it's pointless to argue them. Some see the Mona Lisa as a great work of art, others just see an ugly female portrait. Who is right? It's nice that you called my criticism "cherrypicking" but realise that it's valid. It brings home my point. When it comes to Miyamoto, everyone is quick to say 'shhh, hide the flaws' and sing about how great he supposedly is.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:

"Creative genius in gameplay innovation" is nothing more than jumping up and down while moving from left to right to me. That's as subjective as it gets. The points you praise Mario for are so subjective that it's pointless to argue them. Some see the Mona Lisa as a great work of art, others just see an ugly female portrait. Who is right? It's nice that you called my criticism "cherrypicking" but realise that it's valid. It brings home my point. When it comes to Miyamoto, everyone is quick to say 'shhh, hide the flaws' and sing how about how great he supposedly is.

Not at all subjective. It's more like appreciating a 3-pointer and 1 or a hockey goal from the icing line.

Super Mario today and yesterday made use of creative gameplay implementations that only a blind person could ignore. Examples are screeming out of the latest 3D World video, and nobody forgets still today the mushroom power-ups, the ability to go into green pipes to go to sub-level levels, jumping on koopa shells to hit other ennemies to rack points (from the very first SMB I'm referring to, you realize).

No again it's far from subjective but a question of what you're willing to admit to yourself...

Mr Khan said:
Pristine20 said:
Mr Khan said:

Depends on what you mean by "do their jobs." If you're anyone involved with *touching* gameplay design, it should definitely be required that you play the most fundamental games that created modern gaming. I'd say (even though i haven't played or only barely played a few of these myself): Doom 1, Super Mario Bros 3, Legend of Zelda 1, Final Fantasy I, and one of the early Ultima games. Tetris and Pac-Man not wholly required but very severely recommended.

If a person is designing gameplay and worlds without having played these games, i would very much question their credentials.

That doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't be allowed to design cars if I haven't diven a Ford? Seriously, what industry works that way? I have exactly 0 of the games on your "required" list (only played tetris and pac-man)  so I'm somehow magically less qualified to design games because......? How does playing said games help you create a better  Madden 25? Most younger folks today are automatically disqualified by your "criteria". Makes no sense whatsoever.

Take off the nostalgia googgles and see things more objectively. Some of those games were really not that great but back then, there wasn't much in the way of alternatives like we have today.

Inafune is 100% correct. I think it's almost impossible to overestimate the importance of Super Mario Bros. to the industry and to the generations of game creators it inspired. It's arguably the most important game ever made.