By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inafune:‘If a Creator Hasn’t Played Mario, They’re Probably not a good Creator’

Seece said:
Yeah because a developer making an FPS could learn a lot from Mario .....

John Carmack certainly did....

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
MDMAlliance said:
HoloDust said:

No, it's someone that (unlike some other people here) realizes that there are game genres that have nothing in common with some other genres...actually, only thing that makes them both "video games" is method of delivery, i.e. console or computer. Hence, Inafune's statement that you cannot be good "Creator" if you haven't played Mario is not only silly per se (for other reasons I don't even intend to discuss), but completely misguided.

huehuehue, sounds like to me that you can't rather than not wanting to.

Yeah...replies like this (and your previous) are why I usually shy away from any serious discussion around here...now forgive me if I don't reply to you anymore on this matter...

I'm the only person who really responded like that, and as a joke because you're clearly not going to change your mind.

HoloDust said:
happydolphin said:
HoloDust said:
That's really silly statement - game genres are not like movies genres, so that they build, more or less, upon common ancestry. What's P&C Adventures, Turned-based military strategies or Flight simulators, to name just few (and there are A LOT others), got to do in common with Mario games?

Why is this concept so complex for some of you? There is more to a game than its genre, there is more to a game than its gameplay, there is the idea behind this or that innovation, there is music, there are themes.

In the case of Mario, just the idea of hidden blocks or warp zones through plumber pipes is a concept, the spirit of which can be adopted in an FPS, for example what was done in portal (never played it but I can imagine).

Why is the concept of Mario not being Holy Grail of all game design so complex for some of you? Nobody is saying that there's nothing to learn from them, but I would really love to hear what game designer that creates tactical war games, or submarine sims, or tactical shooters, or P&C adventures, or construction and managment simulations, or.....I could go on.....has to learn from Mario games?

Seems that some people are either too young, too fanboyish, or simply don't know much about history of computer games (vs console games) to realize that Mario, while having big influence on video games industry (specially its console part), is nowhere near as important or influential for game design in overall as people like to believe.

That's not what I'm arguing... So it really goes to show.

Wow! It's pretty interesting to see the different mindsets of people at play when discussing this topic. Someone even reduced the game mechanics of Mario to "move left or right and jump". Of course, when you look at Mario and see nothing more than that, I understand why some people get attracted to shiny things. It's an interesting experience to see these different mindsets at play for sure.

Also interesting to note to me is how a discussion like this really highlights the sheer genius of Miyamoto. I mean, there are several people in this thread who discount everything that is fundamental of the Mario series because it's so well ingrained in video games that they take it for granted. There's been many people pointing out the amazing level designs of the Mario games, and how they are expertly put together to teach the game mechanics without you even realizing. I won't point it out again, if you won't see it, you are missing the genius of it.

Some people don't understand that there is no reason why people should understand how to play Mario, they have to be taught how to do it. Everyone has been taught how to do it. Today people take this for granted, it's so basic to a videogame that they don't even consider it, but the concept of how a game plays is not natural law. It was perfected by a genius mind.

So, when a creator plays Mario, there's no point in him approaching the game as how do I run left and right and jump. That is the mindset of noncreators. A creator will look at how the mechanics are explained to the player. How is the use of a new ability explained in the game? How do you show the players where they need to go and what they need to do and still make it fun and challenging? How to you structure the whole game so that the skills you learn through the game maintain a consistent difficulty curve? How do you put together a level so that it is playable and enjoyable for both a brand new player, and one who has played the game 100 times?

When you look at a speed run of any Mario level really, you should realize what insane craftsmanship goes into creating these games. The same level that a new player will meander through and still find enjoyable will provide a completely different set of challenges for the expert level gamer. The placement of obstacles, enemies , power-ups and just regular level features is no longer arbitrary. They all need to be in exactly the spot they are to allow for the pixel precision needed for a flawless speed run.

These things don't happen on accident, it takes insane skill and dedication to design games that scale as well as that. I can't think of any other game that so expertly showcases these elements as the Mario series. It's all there for you to see if you want to look for it. And it should be quite obvious why the principles of excellent game design are applicable not only to any video game, but to any piece of interactive media as well.

Sounds accurate.

How can any game developer claim to know what makes a good or great game if they haven't spent time with one of the classics or some of the games from that series?

It would be the same for someone crafting a console FPS without having played the likes of Goldeneye, Halo or Call of Duty post COD3. For platformers side scrolling or 3D, Mario should be mandatory for anyone claiming to be a creator.