By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inafune:‘If a Creator Hasn’t Played Mario, They’re Probably not a good Creator’

Seece said:
Yeah because a developer making an FPS could learn a lot from Mario .....

Yes !

On a more abstract level !

There is an Iwata asks out there, pointing out how the very fist level in SMB is specifically designed to teach the player that you are supposed to jump on Goombas (that they are harmful and bad) and that mushrooms are good for Mario (giving you the chance to survive a hit) with both looking similar is a great example! The level is designed so that you can´t escape the mushroom, but are running in the goomba if you don´t figure out how to jump on him.

without any text !

This is precisely what Inafune refers to!

There are other examples as well: Miyamoto tested how the mushroom should behave to make it fun for the player (stand still, come to the player, move away either slow or fast)...they found out that it was thrilling to chase a mushroom that is barely slower than Mario.

Those are classic examples of good game design, this isn´t meant as "every game should have a Princess in another caste" or something like that !

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
osed125 said:

Mario is simple part of gaming history, just because you don't like it doesn't mean game designers should ignore it. Is the same as artists, every artist have seen the Mona Lisa, Birth of Venus, The Scream, etc. What that artist does may be completely different from this paintings, more modern and "original", but is simple part of the media they love and dedicated their life to. It's the same as video games, games like Grim Fandango, M.U.L.E, Space Invaders, Pacman, Super Mario, etc. are part of this history and any game designer this days should look at this games and what they represent to the media. 

I can bet good money that many of what I consider good artists now were inspired by other comic books and not any of the art you posted. Does their art then automatically suck? Games are not about representing anything to the media. They are about entertaining people. You can do that without playing any of the games on your list.

No it doesn't, I never said that. A comic artist, for example, will take it's main inspiration from old Superman and Batman comics, but if the artist loves what he does and dedicate his life to that, you can't possibly deny they have never seen the Mona Lisa, and se what the painting represents to what they do, and thus they took it as an "inspiration" of sorts, not for their work but for what Leonardo did, and say "I want to be as famous as him and leave my mark in history. I want my comic book to be in a museum just like the Mona Lisa", it sounds cliche sure, but that's how artists feel.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Pristine20 said:
osed125 said:
Pristine20 said:
happydolphin said:

In view of the OP, what Inafune seems to be trying to say is not whether today's Mario games are overrated, good or not, but rather that Mario in all its heritage (he goes on to name his favorite, SMB3 on the NES) is part of a sort of developer's bible, from which a dev can take a pattern and work from it, so as to infuse their games with creative awesomeness.

I think that's what he means, and that would make perfect sense coming from the maker of Megaman and the upcoming MN9.

Holy mother of cherrypicking. The themes and story of Mario are full of stereotypes and cheesy art, but I think what Inafune was referring to was the creative  genius in gameplay innovation, as well as not taking itself too seriously. It's pretty transparent from the OP.

"Creative genius in gameplay innovation" is nothing more than jumping up and down while moving from left to right to me. That's as subjective as it gets. The points you praise Mario for are so subjective that it's pointless to argue them. Some see the Mona Lisa as a great work of art, others just see an ugly female portrait. Who is right? It's nice that you called my criticism "cherrypicking" but realise that it's valid. It brings home my point. When it comes to Miyamoto, everyone is quick to say 'shhh, hide the flaws' and sing about how great he supposedly is.

Mario is simple part of gaming history, just because you don't like it doesn't mean game designers should ignore it. Is the same as artists, every artist have seen the Mona Lisa, Birth of Venus, The Scream, etc. What that artist does may be completely different from this paintings, more modern and "original", but is simple part of the media they love and dedicated their life to. It's the same as video games, games like Grim Fandango, M.U.L.E, Space Invaders, Pacman, Super Mario, etc. are part of this history and any game designer this days should look at this games and what they represent to the media. 

I can bet good money that many of what I consider good artists now were inspired by other comic books and not any of the art you posted. Does their art then automatically suck? Games are not about representing anything to the media. They are about entertaining people. You can do that without playing any of the games on your list.

Are you misunderstanding them on purpose ?

This isn´t about good game vs. bad game !

He meant that SMB is a classic game that shows good game design (how the mechanics are teached to the player) !

If you are working in a specific artistic field, you have to know the classics of this particular area to have a well rounded schooling, weather it is comedy, film, literatur,theathre or anything else is moot !

Still not close to GTA V. 

geddie221 said:

What has GTA V to do with SMB ?

Around the Network
geddie221 said:

Make no mistake that GTA's core appeal is in the sandbox. If the fundamentals of how you engaged the world sucked, no-one would care about the story or any of the stuff that people drool over. Rockstar excels in making big, fleshed-out worlds, but they too understand that none of it would matter a lick if they didn't keep the core experience tight.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

You can be a good director without ever watching the tramp,citizen kane, 2001,blade runner,Vertigo or pulp fiction=
you could be a could developer without ever playing Mario.

The advantage maybe,you are forced to be more originall instead of trying to copy miyamoto.
Too many directors have sold their creativity in favour of copying Tarantino(even the music) and 95% of those movies are crap.

Nintendo as a whole should be playing more frecuently, then.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

SxyxS said:
You can be a good director without ever watching the tramp,citizen kane, 2001,blade runner,Vertigo or pulp fiction=
you could be a could developer without ever playing Mario.

The advantage maybe,you are forced to be more originall instead of trying to copy miyamoto.
Too many directors have sold their creativity in favour of copying Tarantino(even the music) and 95% of those movies are crap.

A good director will take inspiration from Citizen Kane, not copy it. Those are very different things and that's what makes the difference between a good and a bad director.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Galaki said:
Sounds like he's got a mancrush for MiyamOtO.

Someone has been studying Miyamoto's signature.

I think the number of "creators" of videogames that hasn't played Mario is rather low.