By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Cage: No one should be allowed to define what a game is

the word game has few meanings but applies to nearly everything you do in life. So i completely understand where cage is coming from when people say beyond two souls is not a video game when it clearly is, it may not be as engaging and challenge you as other video games but that doesnt take away its credibility.

Around the Network
osed125 said:

Haven't seen so much drama about a game before. 

That's a nice clover you have there and a nice monster Sig.

Zero escape is a lot like beyond two souls, if those two aren't considered games then screw games for being so uncreative and hello ungames for being so great

There has been a lot of defense coming from Sony/QD since the embargo lift on this game.

MB1025 said:
There has been a lot of defense coming from Sony/QD since the embargo lift on this game.

oh really? where...

Kyuu said:
Fumito Ueda:
"My game flopping means there is something wrong with it.. I must educate myself"

David Cage:
"My game flopping means there is something wrong with gamers.. I must educate them!"

Cages game flopped?

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Zappykins said:
I haven't seen anyone saying it's not a game. Just some reviews do not enjoy playing it.

Go into the Beyond review thread and you will see a good amount

Wow, just wow.

There are several 10's (possibly from Cage's Mother/PR department? - they all look a little 'recycled') and plenty of very low user scores. 

Some of the criticism that seemed fair was not enough gameplay, and that so much of the story has already been given away by all the trailers. 

Even people that liked the demo are not happy.  Most everyone seems to praise the graphics and music.

It's like Mass Effect 3 all over again, but more dissapointment and less outrage.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

God damn that was inspirational and I'm not easily moved. Kudos mr cage

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

MB1025 said:

No. There hasn't been a lot of defense from Sony. The only thing anyone from Sony has really said about Beyond is that Shuhei Yoshida said he gave his feedback to David Cage and that he has confidence in his next title. That's it. If you want to talk about a big corporation going on a lot of defense, I can point you to a lot of articles from a particular company I think you're familiar with.

David Cage, on the other hand, is acting defensive over the critical reception and he needs to get over it. The territory he plays in is different and thus very divisive. He's going to take some lumps by trying to go against the grain. Considering that Heavy Rain received the average score it did while being just as divisive, I think that's indication enough that it's simply that Beyond wasn't as good as far as the critics are concerned and that this isn't some kind of witch hunt or narrowminded view on the industry.

Raven722 said:
MB1025 said:

No. There hasn't been a lot of defense from Sony. The only thing anyone from Sony has really said about Beyond is that Shuhei Yoshida said he gave his feedback to David Cage and that he has confidence in his next title. That's it. If you want to talk about a big corporation going on a lot of defense, I can point you to a lot of articles from a particular company I think you're familiar with.

David Cage, on the other hand, is acting defensive over the critical reception and he needs to get over it. The territory he plays in is different and thus very divisive. He's going to take some lumps by trying to go against the grain. Considering that Heavy Rain received the average score it did while being just as divisive, I think that's indication enough that it's simply that Beyond wasn't as good as far as the critics are concerned and that this isn't some kind of witch hunt or narrowminded view on the industry.

This interview took place before the reviews came out... unless you think that today the reviews came out, david cage saw them, gamestop called him, he was availble, they met up and gamestop uploaded the interview all within a couple hours

Kyuu said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Kyuu said:
Fumito Ueda:
"My game flopping means there is something wrong with it.. I must educate myself"

David Cage:
"My game flopping means there is something wrong with gamers.. I must educate them!"

Cages game flopped?

Apparently Beyond: Two Souls is failing in reviews and he seems to be upset about his approach not working with some gamers. On the other hand, Fumito Ueda's games are critically acclaimed but low sales makes him doubt himself rather than gamers, which is respectable.

lol what makes you think he was upset... he seems rather calm and reasonable to me