By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which video game franchises do you consider as day one purchases?

Only Zelda for me. I buy the majority of my games months after release, when the price drops below $30, but for Zelda I pay full price :)

Around the Network

none, I buy a game when it's had enough time to warm up to me. I don't care if I get a game later than everybody else on the planet, or if I am the first ever to play it. I buy it when my desire to buy it outweighs my desire to not spend the money.

There's no definite day one for me. There used to be, but as hyped as I have been about some g ames, I've been able to restrain my interest and purchase them when they drop in price.

During the sixth gen, I'd spend closer to $1000+ a year on just games. That's when I was stupid and would blow my money on anything I was interested in because it was new. Now, since I wait for most games to drop in price, I don't pay near that amount.

I'll still purchase games day one, but they're a select few.

Nintendo games, solely cause they rarely drop in price so waiting don't help.

Basically they are the only ones I buy at full price except for a few where I want to support developer or just want the game soo bad due to it being a big like of mine.
Examples would be CDProject Red games or Elder Scrolls (not the mmo, gross)
Examples of rare occurances is buying AC4 on release date cause I love pirate things, from Pirates of Caribean to One Piece. Thus while the game will probably be $20 by February, I will still buy it cause i want it, also hopefully shows people that pirate games shoudl be made.

Otherwise as AC and other games show. THese big blockbuster games drop to $20-30 way too quick to warrent buying day 1. Why waste your money when you can get it cheap a couple months later.

- Sid Meier's Civilization on PC
- The Legend of Zelda on console
- HD remakes of specific classic point&click adventure games (like Monkey Island 1+2, Leisure Suit Larry 1 or the Gabriel Knight 1 remake which was announced today)
- some new point&click adventure games/franchises made by specific small studios (e.g. Daedalic Entertainment, Wadjet Eye Games, Amanita Design => I'll buy any upcoming adventure game from those developers)

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Isn't this just another way of asking what are your favorite game series?

Well if you buy all your favorite games on day one, I guess your lists will be identical.

Ten years ago would have been very different answer as I tended to be much more of a day one gamer. Now with work and life I tend to be fine waiting or I find I am oblivious.

I use to countdown days to games, I just realized today Pokemon comes out next week (rare game I pre-ordered) and I thought it wasn't out for another month.

I just go with "must buy" as label of game I am very excited about. Last one was Tales of Xillia and next one is Pokemon with Ratchet and Clank and Zelda on the horizon.

Gran Turismo.

But most of my games are day one purchases including digital.

Grand theft auto, uncharted, super mario, infamous and metal gear solid.

For me is all the Quantic Dream and Nauthy Dog games, not really the franchises, but whatever these studios come up with. I bought GTA5 day one and liked a lot, but the spin offs are not really day one purchases for me, I have all the handhelds but I don´t really like them, so, GTA, I guess.
Also, Killzone, love Killzone.
Not much else really, I used to love Silent Hill, but it really went downhill when the Team Silent disassembled. So, PROJECT SIREN I guess, since it is made by what is left of Team Silent: The Siren games and whatever Project Siren comes up with. Althought, they did Gravity Rush and I did not enjoyed it. So, the horror games that Project Siren comes up with.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.