By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Apple-Logitech pairing a potential Nintendo handheld killer - :~O

Anfebious said:

The problem with comparing smartphones with 3DS is the same as comparing an apple to bananas

So in the end you can't really compare them! You can't compare the sales of a phone with the sales of a gaming machine! The phone is obviously going to win as it is more vital in everyone's life while the gaming device is just part of a hobby.

People tend to forget that Apple also has an iPod Touch.. Which are a lot bought buy parents as cheaper alternative to a smartphone.. And as an alternative to dedicated handhelds.. Like it or not..

The iPod Touch reached 100 million units last May 

http://mashable.com/2013/05/30/apple-ipod-touch-100-million/

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Mobile gaming sucks.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

NiKKoM said:
Anfebious said:

The problem with comparing smartphones with 3DS is the same as comparing an apple to bananas

So in the end you can't really compare them! You can't compare the sales of a phone with the sales of a gaming machine! The phone is obviously going to win as it is more vital in everyone's life while the gaming device is just part of a hobby.

People tend to forget that Apple also has an iPod Touch.. Which are a lot bought buy parents as cheaper alternative to a smartphone.. And as an alternative to dedicated handhelds.. Like it or not..

Well it could be an alternative. Most people use it to listen music, you can also send messages, and also you can install Skype... It's still not a full blown gaming device. It's an alternative, but it's not a primarly gaming device!

I like it actually! I have an Ipod, I used it to listen music. But now it's collectiong dust somewhere in my house.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Let's see are people going to buy an overpriced iphone JUST to play farmville with buttons or are they going to stick with getting a game console that is cheaper than an iphone and has better hardware for better videogames...

I'm not worried about what device people who like to play angrybirds are playing on. As long as the gamers stick with the true handhelds (3ds/Vita/DS/PSP), and they will because they are cheaper and more bang for buck in terms of what games they can play, then I'm fine.

Keep in mind, I'm a guy who hates Sonys consoles, handhelds, games, and controllers, but even I support Sony in the war against Apple. Enemy of my enemy is my friend, and right now Apple is everybodies enemy.

Lol, Sony and Nintendo don't have anything to worry about. There's bugger all money in smartphone gaming unless a publisher finds the next Angry Birds, Cut The Rope or Draw Something. There's a reason why Zynga went down the toilet and publishers started to scale down their mobile divisions 5 years ago.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Anfebious said:

They're a lost cause of hypocrites that will use anything to discredit any portable device that plays games if said device dislodges their favored console from top spot.

Too bad the reality is mobiles have a far higher use ADR, a far higher base of actual gamers and far higher revenue on games, so they can whine about how it 'doesn't count' all they want, they can be hypocrits and claim mobile games "arent real games but the facts remain facts, the mobile market absolutely trounces dedicated handhelds in both overall user base and game playing user base.

Yes not every mobile tablet or iPod user plays games but you can bet your ass of the 3bln+ android/iOS/wm users worldwide, even if only 1% played games regularly, that's still 30,000,000 gamers, but to say only 1 in 100 people play games on their phones is laughable.

Mobile isn't going anywhere, that's why Microsoft and Sony embrace it with thier own phones, and why Nintendo tried to snag a share of the pie, mobiles tablets and iPods are all gaming capable devices, even if someone installs only one game and plays that game just once, it still counts.

But reality falls on hand covered ears, you can't teach people things they refuse to hear.

Frequency said:
NiKKoM said:
Anfebious said:

They're a lost cause of hypocrites that will use anything to discredit any portable device that plays games if said device dislodges their favored console from top spot.

Too bad the reality is mobiles have a far higher use ADR, a far higher base of actual gamers and far higher revenue on games, so they can whine about how it 'doesn't count' all they want, they can be hypocrits and claim mobile games "arent real games but the facts remain facts, the mobile market absolutely trounces dedicated handhelds in both overall user base and game playing user base.

Yes not every mobile tablet or iPod user plays games but you can bet your ass of the 3bln+ android/iOS/wm users worldwide, even if only 1% played games regularly, that's still 30,000,000 gamers, but to say only 1 in 100 people play games on their phones is laughable.

Mobile isn't going anywhere, that's why Microsoft and Sony embrace it with thier own phones, and why Nintendo tried to snag a share of the pie, mobiles tablets and iPods are all gaming capable devices, even if someone installs only one game and plays that game just once, it still counts.

But reality falls on hand covered ears, you can't teach people things they refuse to hear.

lol, i can see you go against Nintendo in every thread. If you call people who played a game or two on their phones/tablets/etc gamers then Im done. Yeahhhhhh Just Done! I got news for you, Handheld>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Phone/Tablets in the gaming department everytime. Real Gamers play Real Games. Its Quality not Quanity Everybody needs a phone thus 100s of Millions of Sales. But Consoles/Handhelds are for Gaming. LMAO its like comparing Commercials with TV Shows/Movies. We obviously see more commercials (phone/tablet games) than movies/TV shows/Sports/News (Consoles/Handhelds), but do you think people remember the commercials over everything else???

Frequency said:
NiKKoM said:
Anfebious said:

I think English language is too poor in this department to get across what I think when you compare handheld to mobile gaming. In English you only have "game". In my language (Polish) there are two different words - "gra" and "gierka", which perfectly tell us the difference between handhelds and mobile games, even though both translate into "game" in English. "Gierka" is something like a small or very simple game. It's exactly what mobile games are. They aren't full blown games (gra), they are just little small and simple experiences (gierka), thus satisfy different needs and cather to different market. You're not the one bringing light to a blind crowd. You just fail to notice that there is a huge difference in quality between handheld and mobile experience, which causes these markets to be two different ones. Thus all your numbers and calculations just mean nothing.

Also I agree with Tbone, somebody who downloaded a free version of Angry Birds isn't a gamer.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

I imagine we'll see both Sony and MS doing the same thing when they launch their cloud streaming apps. Nintendo should do the same for their virtual console.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

tbone51 said:
Frequency said:
NiKKoM said:
Anfebious said:

lol, i can see you go against Nintendo in every thread. If you call people who played a game or two on their phones/tablets/etc gamers then Im done. Yeahhhhhh Just Done! I got news for you, Handheld>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Phone/Tablets in the gaming department everytime. Real Gamers play Real Games. Its Quality not Quanity Everybody needs a phone thus 100s of Millions of Sales. But Consoles/Handhelds are for Gaming. LMAO its like comparing Commercials with TV Shows/Movies. We obviously see more commercials (phone/tablet games) than movies/TV shows/Sports/News (Consoles/Handhelds), but do you think people remember the commercials over everything else???

You have news for me, you just don't have any actual facts to back up that news.

Mobile devices have a higher number of gamers

Mobile games even when free have a higher revenue stream

More people spend time playing games on average, on their mobile than on any other device.

All of these are facts backed up by virtually every study, poll and experiment conducted.

You you pretend mobile games aren't real games until you're blue in the face, doesn't detract from the stark fact that they are games and people that play them are gamers.

Hate to break it to you but a game is a game and a person that plays them is a gamer, there's no threshold to bring a gamer and there's no threshold to 'being a "proper" game'. Look at pong in the early days, its basic and yet people that played it are gamers.

Again people respond and completely ignore the facts and my statement of Nintendo trying to get a piece of the mobile gaming pie with the wiiu which you love so much.

If mobile gaming wasn't reaaaaly gaming, why would they try to penetrate that market, and if mobile gaming isn't really gaming why would you support Nintendo's endeavours to get a piece of that pie?

In short, you and many of the other commenters in this thread are absolute hypocrites 

Oh and as for your retarded TV analogy, commercials are remembered by absolutely millions of people, for decades, people look back and talk about 'that old commercial about XXX or yyy' way to shoot yourself in the foot.

Last but not least how is having a firm grasp on reality and not being a biggot about who qualifies to be a gamer or not, in any way shape or form "going against nintendo" that alone shows that you are reacting in defence of Nintendo rather than reacting in a logical mature manner.

But hey, from a guy that thinks people who play mobile games "arent really gamers and that mobile games "arent really games what should I really expect?

It will be fun when hyper light drifter hits the wiiu, I guess you won't call that a game since the exact same game will be available for mobile too, and had been planned for development prior to the wiki version, eh?

Honestly, people these days lose their grip on reality just enough to suit their own needs