By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global HW UP! USA SW UP! 28th September 2013

Scisca said:
benji232 said:

A) Actually the point zero999 was trying to make is that 120k-140k in the holiday season is mediocre regardless of how much it's sales were increased by % and these mediocre numbers were because the vita did not have any system sellers. No one said holidays don't give any boost, what we are saying is that if you do have compelling software, the hardware sales will increase much more then just letting the holiday sales boost do the job. If the wiiU went in this holiday season having 0 first party games launching, the holidays themselves wouldn't have made the sales boost that much.

B) It's going to be holiday pulling the HW ans SW sales, not the other way round.  Not sure what's wrong with my eyes.

A) So we clearly just disagree here. Plus Vita didn't average 120-140k (I have no idea where you took these numbers from, probably from your butt), but actually went over 220k in a week, which is good in my books and I won't agree that it was only mediocre. Because where does exactly "good" start for you? 300k? 500k? Christmas did more for Vita than the price cut and a steady flow of good games in Japan. I hope it's going to repeat this year, though this Christmas is bound to be worse for Vita.

B) So it's the reading comprehension then. Try reading my whole post again and maybe you'll see why you're mistaken.

A) Yes, it had 1 week of 220k and the rest of the holiday weeks were between 75k-140k, so before saying that im pulling numbers out of my ass, please check the charts for yourself. Then again, this is perhaps a bit too much to ask. 

B) Apart from that, the upcoming games are good, but don't look like real system sellers.   Ok, so you're saying none of the games are system sellers.

Nobody has ever bought a console for Sonic ;) 3D Mario is ok, but this one is controversial and 3D Mario is always less important than 2D Mario, which as we all know didn't do that much so far. Your pretty much saying that these games are all as big as pikmin 3 which is laughable (Pikmin 3 being a niche game and mario being one of the most iconic franchises of gaming).

All in all these games alone wouldn't have a much bigger impact than Pikmin 3 had (one for one, not 3 for one ;) ). So again, you're saying that 3D world is as big as pikmin 3 (laughable) and sonic (this one is a wild card). You also failed to mention wii fit U, wii party U and wind waker HD.

Then you concluded by saying that the holiday season would be the one pushing hardware sales and software sales, not the software itself. The logic is very flawed, mario 3d world will receive a big boost because it is mario 3d world, if it were for example pikmin 3, it wouldn't get big holiday sales. Same thing with the hardware.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
pezus said:

You guys should read the original argument again. It was argued that it would be an "uphill battle" for WiiU soon, meaning that sales would increase week after week. Then somebody countered that by saying that was obvious, because holidays always do that. Then Zero said Vita showed that the holidays mean nothing...which is simply false, given the evidence already put forward. 

The original argument wasn't about seeing great sales, it was about seeing an increase. The holidays will naturally increase the sales. They would do that even without games.

Since everyone has entirely lost the plot in this thread anyway, I'll just take this aside to point out that the phrase "uphill battle" is not generally used to describe an improving situation.

benji232 said:

A) Yes, it had 1 week of 220k and the rest of the holiday weeks were between 75k-140k, so before saying that im pulling numbers out of my ass, please check the charts for yourself. Then again, this is perhaps a bit too much to ask. 

B) Apart from that, the upcoming games are good, but don't look like real system sellers.   Ok, so you're saying none of the games are system sellers.

Nobody has ever bought a console for Sonic ;) 3D Mario is ok, but this one is controversial and 3D Mario is always less important than 2D Mario, which as we all know didn't do that much so far. Your pretty much saying that these games are all as big as pikmin 3 which is laughable (Pikmin 3 being a niche game and mario being one of the most iconic franchises of gaming).

All in all these games alone wouldn't have a much bigger impact than Pikmin 3 had (one for one, not 3 for one ;) ). So again, you're saying that 3D world is as big as pikmin 3 (laughable) and sonic (this one is a wild card). You also failed to mention wii fit U, wii party U and wind waker HD.

Then you concluded by saying that the holiday season would be the one pushing hardware sales and software sales, not the software itself. The logic is very flawed, mario 3d world will receive a big boost because it is mario 3d world, if it were for example pikmin 3, it wouldn't get big holiday sales. Same thing with the hardware.

A) Have you really seen the chart or are you just bluffing? Cause I have and what you are saying is still wrong. It had another week at over 190k and never fell to 75k. The lowest if fell to was almost 140k. The lowest Christmas week. That is good.

B) Better! Much better! I'm proud. So as you see - I believe not a single of these games is a system seller and that all they would do is what Pikmin 3 did. A small, short-timed boost. And yes, even though Mario 3D is Mario and will sell decent numbers, I question its ability to move hardware in significant numbers. It would do better than Pikmin 3, but nothing spectacular. Don't forget that Pikmin 3 was covered in hype from long before the release of Wii U, while this 3D Mario is controversial and quite a bit of a let-down so far compared to the Galaxy games. So yes, I'm going to repeat it. The boost we're going to see will mostly come due to the Christmas season. Games will play the role of the sidekick and Christmas boost will help SW sales more than SW will help HW sales.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Zero999 said:
Scisca said:
Zero999 said:
Seece said:

Nope, pretty sure the Vita went from Sub 50k in Sep + Oct to 220k in Nov and Dec without a pricecut or games.

because of the holidays. a boost happened but sales remained horrible considering the period. you implied any boost wii u will get is due to holidays alone, completely ignoring the lineup of games releasing for it + price cut and bundles.

You are contradicting yourself, you are aware of that?

i'll make it clear. OF COURSE THE HOLIDAYS boost sales. but vita sales were mediocre regardless = holidays alone mean nothing. the original post was in responce to seece saying wii u would only receive a boost this year because of the holidays, as if that was the only thing going for wii u.

Vita sales weren't mediocre, they were really good and I hope they repeat this year, even though the Christmas lineup on Vita is much worse this time. Though Sony and Sony gamers are focusing on PS4 anyway, so I guess nothing they'd do on Vita would make much of a difference this year. And let's face it - holiday will be a much, much more important factor than the games, it's just the way it is, just look at the sales charts. Apart from that, the upcoming games are good, but don't look like real system sellers. Nobody has ever bought a console for Sonic ;) 3D Mario is ok, but this one is controversial and 3D Mario is always less important than 2D Mario, which as we all know didn't do that much so far. DK is a big question mark. All in all these games alone wouldn't have a much bigger impact than Pikmin 3 had (one for one, not 3 for one ;) ). I think Mario Kart is going to be the first system seller Wii U is going to have. This year's surge is going to be mainly thanks to the holiday period. It's going to be holiday pulling the HW ans SW sales, not the other way round.

lol at the bolded. 3d mario less important than 2d mario? 3d world controversial? not after the last video. 3d mario and donkey kong wouldn't have a much bigger impact than pikmin 3? stoped reading.

benji232 said:
Scisca said:

Vita sales weren't mediocre, they were really good and I hope they repeat this year, even though the Christmas lineup on Vita is much worse this time. Though Sony and Sony gamers are focusing on PS4 anyway, so I guess nothing they'd do on Vita would make much of a difference this year. And let's face it - holiday will be a much, much more important factor than the games, it's just the way it is, just look at the sales charts. Apart from that, the upcoming games are good, but don't look like real system sellers. Nobody has ever bought a console for Sonic ;) 3D Mario is ok, but this one is controversial and 3D Mario is always less important than 2D Mario, which as we all know didn't do that much so far. DK is a big question mark. All in all these games alone wouldn't have a much bigger impact than Pikmin 3 had (one for one, not 3 for one ;) ). I think Mario Kart is going to be the first system seller Wii U is going to have. This year's surge is going to be mainly thanks to the holiday period. It's going to be holiday pulling the HW ans SW sales, not the other way round.

Averaging 120k-140k during the holiday season is really good? Since when? 120-140k is and will always be mediocre during the holiday season unless it's a dead system. 

So you are saying that a AAA mario release will not boost the sales at all, wii party U will not boost the sales at all, Sonic lost world will not boost the sales at all, wii fit U will not boost the sales at all, etc. Heck, even Wind Waker HD bundle gave a 300% boost in the US to the wiiU.  Your logic is flawed, software SELLS hardware, it has always been that way and always will be. Vita proved this last holiday season like zero999 said because it's sales were indeed mediocre during the holiday season. Now, if the wiiU only sells 120-140k on a weekly average during the holidays, then I will take back everything that i've said here, but I highly doubt this will happen because wiiU has a number of big hardware sellers this holiday unlike the vita had last year unfortunetly. 

T.H.I.S.

Around the Network

Also, watch your quote trees in this thread, guys.

Zero999 said:
Scisca said:

lol at the bolded. 3d mario less important than 2d mario? 3d world controversial? not after the last video. 3d mario and donkey kong wouldn't have a much bigger impact than pikmin 3? stoped reading.

Well sorry to bring this to you. Compare the sales of 2D and 3D Mario. I haven't seen this "last video", I'm sure not everyone who got a bad impression of the first presentations has seen it - it's not that easy to repair something you broke, MS knows something about it. And no, they wouldn't have. Especially DK. It would be a very short lived spike. A one-time bump, just like after Pikmin 3. These are not the types of games that could turn the fate of the console.

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

Zero999 said:
benji232 said:
Scisca said:

Averaging 120k-140k during the holiday season is really good? Since when? 120-140k is and will always be mediocre during the holiday season unless it's a dead system. 

So you are saying that a AAA mario release will not boost the sales at all, wii party U will not boost the sales at all, Sonic lost world will not boost the sales at all, wii fit U will not boost the sales at all, etc. Heck, even Wind Waker HD bundle gave a 300% boost in the US to the wiiU.  Your logic is flawed, software SELLS hardware, it has always been that way and always will be. Vita proved this last holiday season like zero999 said because it's sales were indeed mediocre during the holiday season. Now, if the wiiU only sells 120-140k on a weekly average during the holidays, then I will take back everything that i've said here, but I highly doubt this will happen because wiiU has a number of big hardware sellers this holiday unlike the vita had last year unfortunetly. 

T.H.I.S.

I.S. 1.0.0.%. W.R.O.N.G.

Wii U VGChartz numbers for the EU shouldn't be taken as facts. Nintendo's last financial report revealed that only 10 000 consoles were sold WW (excluding US and Japan) the three previous months. Yet the numbers on this site has been like 5-8k for EU every week as far back as I can remember. They weren't even substantially adjusted down the following weeks after these news.
So if WW hardware numbers for the week ending September 28 is ~43k, keep in mind that this number may very well be far off. Hopefully for the better. :)

pezus said:

You guys should read the original argument again. It was argued that it would be an "uphill battle" for WiiU soon, meaning that sales would increase week after week. Then somebody countered that by saying that was obvious, because holidays always do that. Then Zero said Vita showed that the holidays mean nothing...which is simply false, given the evidence already put forward. 

The original argument wasn't about seeing great sales, it was about seeing an increase. The holidays will naturally increase the sales. They would do that even without games.

it was also stated that the only reason for that increase would be the holidays and that's just absurd. there are many exclusives and multis coming that will boost hardware sales. 3d mario is among then for crying out loud.