By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 'Forced Camera Anti-Consumer' Says Sony

Tagged games:

It's as simple as "do you like what MS is offering?" If yes then good for you, buy it. If not then shut the fuck up and buy something else.

Around the Network
ListerOfSmeg said:
iamdeath said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
Doesn't the controller require the camera on PS4 for all the functions to work? So it is forced if you want everything you are paying for. Isnt that just as anti-consumer? If you want to play online multiplayer, you have to have PS+. So you are again forced to pay for something in order to get everything you paid for with the game.

Also Wii U and X1 will also improve over time. Not sure why some people try to pretend something true of all consoles since gaming began is only true of PS platforms

It's not forced, your post makes zero sense.

I thought I made it pretty clear. Sorry I will try to simplify it some how though. Lets say you buy a brnd new car but it doesnt come with tires. You are forced to buy them to get full use of your vehicle. Same thing here. If you want all the functions of the controller, you have to buy the camera. If you want full use of your games, you have to buy PS+. Its not really that hard to understand dude.

That analogy makes no sense... You cannot drive a car that does not come with tires. Maybe if you compared the PS4 sans camera to say a car without a cd layer or radio would be more relevent.

You don't need the camera do ANY of the required functions on the PS4 you do need it to take advantage of the facial recognition and the cameras ability to track who has what controller etc. Which is no where near having a car with no tires...

or maybe it's just a new product which simply has a camera as part of it.

Kinect is included with every Xbox One because it is one of the primary elements that Microsoft is using to set its console apart from the rest. Without it, many of their talking points would be lost, like Skype, television voice commands, voice/motion integration into the UI, and so on. Of course, many gamers don't care about voice commands, motion control, or Skype, but Microsoft sees potential in attracting the people that do, and is gambling on that with the increased price of having Kinect in each box.

At the same time, games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Wii Fit, and so on, have shown that people will buy accessories for software, so I wouldn't count Sony's optional approach out either. Additionally, if a multiplatform game that utilizes motion control is easy to port between the Xbox One and PS4, then developers may still support motion control games on the PS4, even if it has a smaller install base for the Eye and Move.

With that said, the anti-consumer remark in the headline was obviously trying to sensationalize what wasn't really a controversial article.

phinch1 said:
Darth Tigris said:
No more so than forcing Blu Ray last gen. Gotta love hypocrisy.

They didnt force it, gaming wise, there was no price difference in the games and i could still play dvd's......i had choice

and the console price difference?

to many variables like ps3 also included wifi and hdmi from the get go

bad comparison

I think the comparison stands. The Blu-Ray did drive the cost of the PS3 up and it was a feature that not everybody wanted but if you wanted a PS3, you had no choice in the matter.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
pezus said:

Thing is, this isn't a quote from the Sony PR

The phone camera analogy doesn't make sense, though. It would make sense if the camera was a seperate entity from the phone like Kinect 2 is from One

if it would be more comfortable to have a cam as separate part of a phone then we would all get it as separate part nowadays. 

and no, it wouldn't make sense to integrate kinect 2 in the console  just to let some people believe that this is the reason why it is part of every console like a cam in a phone is part of every phone. there is obviously another reason why the cam is integrated in the phone but a separate part of xbox one^^

Very true and everyone thinking logically knows it, unless you have a strong bias interfering with your logic.

badgenome said:
"Anti-consumer" is seriously pushing it. If you want developers to take a peripheral seriously, it has to be included with your console.

Hush you.

No one's here to actually discuss the pros and cons of including a peripheral within your console package and how that affects the consumer and development ecosystem. We're talking about whether you're with Sony, or with Microsoft. You must choose, and once you do, there is no going back!

For Lord (Cerny/Ballmer)!

Anti consumer is them going pay to play instead of free to play.

TruckOSaurus said:

I think the comparison stands. The Blu-Ray did drive the cost of the PS3 up and it was a feature that not everybody wanted but if you wanted a PS3, you had no choice in the matter.

No. If the ps3 was a ps2 but with bluray then it wouldnt have been close to 600dollars (if sony was still willing to take a loss.. which they did with ps2 so im sure they would have.) The costly cell, wifi and included HDDraised the price and bluray was a natural progression