By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 'Forced Camera Anti-Consumer' Says Sony

Tagged games:

landguy1 said:

The same thing did happen with the PS2, but in that instance the upgrade to DVD was an evolutionary need.  The PSone alrady had games thaat used 3-4 discs.  The #1 selling feture for the PS2 after launch period was that it was a DVD player.  A year or 2 later it no longer mattered as DVDplayers were much cheaper.  I also agree that neither system needs 8gb of ram.  So M$ and Sony are screwing us on that.  But that is something that both companies are doing on the next gen.  We are talking about the Kinect/Bluray comparison.  You are the one that keeps bringing up other things to deflect that you are either just continuing on about this because you don't understand or just trying to get everyone's goat.  Either way, the whole thing about "Admit defeat" is rather funny.  I think you are the one who has proven that your replies have been clearly defeated.

Lol, you need to think that about ram to be consistant. However you are in the minority. Most people accept this gen needs higher ram. As for me being defeated? Lol its your side still clinging to the idea that he said it was anticonsumer. I at least can grasp what the op said. As for deflecting? No, its bringing up a glaring flaw in your argument. The bluray analogy was the most idiotic thing to come out of this thread

Around the Network
attaboy said:
I'm sure it's already been stated but--remember the PS3 vs 360? Fans were saying, "You had to buy a charger, HD DVD Player, Wi Fi adapter, etc. just to have that "PS3 experience" on Xbox 360". There are probably still TONS of youtube videos on the subject saying Xbox 360 costs more than PS3.

When Xbox 360 was letting consumers only pay for the parts they needed, Sony was offering everything for $500-$600. You can't just say it's okay for one side to do something and then condemn the other side for the exact same practice!

Those parts were actually a very small part of thr ps3  package. I spent far more dollars on my xbox than i ever did my ps3. Blu ray hiked up the price of the ps3 but it was a needed part of the ps3  and had a value so you could play larger games and larger discs with films and entertainment. MS launched before them so they knew nothing of what sony had up their sleeve in tech. When sony brought out the blu ray ms got hd dvd involved to try and snuff out blu ray. It was secondary as a format not primary. It failed along with hd dvd and ms felt no shame about it. Again, blu ray wasnt forced upon us. In fact a lot of peoplr bought ps3 consoles because they were the most affordable blu ray players on the market.

Well it's anti some consumers, basically fans of Xbox exclusives that don't want Kinect. But anti-consumer in general? No, because there are other choices (and PS4 is reaping the benefits of this decision).

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

Max King of the Wild said:
landguy1 said:

The same thing did happen with the PS2, but in that instance the upgrade to DVD was an evolutionary need.  The PSone alrady had games thaat used 3-4 discs.  The #1 selling feture for the PS2 after launch period was that it was a DVD player.  A year or 2 later it no longer mattered as DVDplayers were much cheaper.  I also agree that neither system needs 8gb of ram.  So M$ and Sony are screwing us on that.  But that is something that both companies are doing on the next gen.  We are talking about the Kinect/Bluray comparison.  You are the one that keeps bringing up other things to deflect that you are either just continuing on about this because you don't understand or just trying to get everyone's goat.  Either way, the whole thing about "Admit defeat" is rather funny.  I think you are the one who has proven that your replies have been clearly defeated.

Lol, you need to think that about ram to be consistant. However you are in the minority. Most people accept this gen needs higher ram. As for me being defeated? Lol its your side still clinging to the idea that he said it was anticonsumer. I at least can grasp what the op said. As for deflecting? No, its bringing up a glaring flaw in your argument. The bluray analogy was the most idiotic thing to come out of this thread

I agree that even if they put 16gb of ram, it wouldn't hurt( more ram is always better at some point).  The whole argument in this thread was predicated on whether an item added to any console is needed vs. what is nice to have for any particular persons interest.  You see, I don't have a "side", as I plan to have both consoles.  I can recognize that both companies put the components into their system to not only sell games, but to bring other capabilities to their console for other agendas.  They aren't doing it because it is in the consumers best interest.  Every single thing that goes into these consoles is in the best interest of the company making it.  As an example, whether they include an HDMI cable or not has nothing to do with the consumer, it has to do with price.  There is no winning this argument, as you have a different point to make than anyone else arguing with you.   You continue to rationalize that we think that Sony is anti consumer, when we ae only saying that if the Kinect is anti-consumer then so is the Bluray drive when the PS3 came out.  I don't think either company is truly anti consumer.  They are both Pro company.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
attaboy said:
I'm sure it's already been stated but--remember the PS3 vs 360? Fans were saying, "You had to buy a charger, HD DVD Player, Wi Fi adapter, etc. just to have that "PS3 experience" on Xbox 360". There are probably still TONS of youtube videos on the subject saying Xbox 360 costs more than PS3.

When Xbox 360 was letting consumers only pay for the parts they needed, Sony was offering everything for $500-$600. You can't just say it's okay for one side to do something and then condemn the other side for the exact same practice!

Those parts were actually a very small part of thr ps3  package. I spent far more dollars on my xbox than i ever did my ps3. Blu ray hiked up the price of the ps3 but it was a needed part of the ps3  and had a value so you could play larger games and larger discs with films and entertainment. MS launched before them so they knew nothing of what sony had up their sleeve in tech. When sony brought out the blu ray ms got hd dvd involved to try and snuff out blu ray. It was secondary as a format not primary. It failed along with hd dvd and ms felt no shame about it. Again, blu ray wasnt forced upon us. In fact a lot of peoplr bought ps3 consoles because they were the most affordable blu ray players on the market.

Not the point I was trying to make. I my PS3 and 360 sit a couple of feet from my router.  People were saying that i needed a $100 router to match the PS3. Personally, i didn't.  I was glad to have the option of not having a router forced upon me.  My PS3 had abuilt in wi fi router.  Never used it.  All of my consoles were wired.  I'm not discussing what's an integral part of the experience. I'm talking about being forced to buy something with one console that's optional with another.

Around the Network
landguy1 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
landguy1 said:

I agree that even if they put 16gb of ram, it wouldn't hurt( more ram is always better at some point).  The whole argument in this thread was predicated on whether an item added to any console is needed vs. what is nice to have for any particular persons interest.  You see, I don't have a "side", as I plan to have both consoles.  I can recognize that both companies put the components into their system to not only sell games, but to bring other capabilities to their console for other agendas.  They aren't doing it because it is in the consumers best interest.  Every single thing that goes into these consoles is in the best interest of the company making it.  As an example, whether they include an HDMI cable or not has nothing to do with the consumer, it has to do with price.  There is no winning this argument, as you have a different point to make than anyone else arguing with you.   You continue to rationalize that we think that Sony is anti consumer, when we ae only saying that if the Kinect is anti-consumer then so is the Bluray drive when the PS3 came out.  I don't think either company is truly anti consumer.  They are both Pro company.

By side I mean "blu-ray is equivalant to Kinect" in this thread. This isn't a MS vs Sony thread and I wouldn't make it into one. But people who are comparing blu-ray and Kinect are doing so because the thread title mislead them 2 times which makes their argument invalid. First time they were mislead was when it said Sony said it was anti-consumer. They didn't. The second time they got mislead is when it made it seem like sony was refrencing to the Kinect. They werent. However, if we are to assume that those two things were the case they would still be wrong. It would be like saying "Wireless controllers are anti-consumer because wired worked just fine" and many other example similar to that. But those arguments are just asinine. Updating specs in hardware is what creates next gen systems. By this type of argument's logic the market would remain stagnant because the previous way worked just as fine. Its called natural progression. The Ps3 needed a disc drive. No one would argue this. Due to natural progression (similar to wireless controllers, faster CPU/GPU and more RAM) Sony implemented a blu-ray drive.

attaboy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
attaboy said:

Not the point I was trying to make. I my PS3 and 360 sit a couple of feet from my router.  People were saying that i needed a $100 router to match the PS3. Personally, i didn't.  I was glad to have the option of not having a router forced upon me.  My PS3 had abuilt in wi fi router.  Never used it.  All of my consoles were wired.  I'm not discussing what's an integral part of the experience. I'm talking about being forced to buy something with one console that's optional with another.

When did the MS router come out, like what four years after the PS3 came out with a router in the box? The Xbox 360 was never meant to have Wifi. I heard people were using wifi dongles and stuff with the PS3 way before MS put those things ojn the market. Sony always thinks of hardware first. MS thinks of online first. When it comes to hardware MS is out of their element, which is why they always try to catch up with Sony. Sony element is not online, but they are learning, which is what they learn from MS. If Sony was ever to have an advantage it would always be hardware and format. I doubt rechargable batteries were on the market at launch for the 360 as well. It was only after Sony already had these things stock that MS started to respond.

JoeTheBro said:

PeterSilenced said:

Kinect V2 would not cost $300 if it was sold separately. The dev on Reddit (I assume this is how you got that number) later clarified he was talking about kinect development costs being on par with the console, not manufacturing costs. I do agree though that forcing a peripheral definitely helps its chances of catching on.

Porting will be an option but dont expect the same quality or depth for example i dont see ps4 doing these.

I wouldn't expect the same quality or depth either, but that's to do with the Kinect being better at some features, not because the PS4 cam isn't packed in.

-Identifying the player in split screen mode so that each has the screen of their controller

PS4 actually announced this feature before the the xbox one was even revealed. Kinect uses infrared lights on the controller to do this while PS4 uses the glowing section on the DS4. This doesn't need to use any info besides the controller's location relative to other controllers.

-Quick navigation and finding via voice (could eventually use)

PS4 already supports basic voice commands such as turning on the console and starting a game. It's not used in as many places as on xbox, but it's still there. You're kinda right about this one I guess.

-Reading heartbeat ideal for fitness or horror games

Up to devs' ability to be clever. Reading heart rate from a camera can be done with any cheap webcam and some clever programing. Don't know if Microsoft has an exclusive license to use this tech, but hardware wise it's very possible in a well light environment.

-Activating pre paid codes by just looking at it  (no longer need to input a long bar of activation codes)

I think this was also confirmed for PS4 before the xbox one was even revealed, but I'm not 100% sure. Definitely possible.

-See in the dark

Kinect wins hands down. This also accounts for it being better at a lot of things. In a well light environment, the PS4 camera matches these features almost exactly.

-6 people tracking

This is really a software thing just as much as a hardware thing. PS4 won't be doing it unless some dev dedicates a lot of resources to calculations. Also on this point, kinect v2 has MUCH better body tracking than PS4's camera.

-3rd parties have actually  shown interest in the platform -BF4 ,Kojima, that game company ,COD ,Harmonix . where is the ps4 camera support just playroom?

PS4's camera is being supported by its fair share of games. I know War-thunder for example is using it for head tracking.

Answers in BOLD

I've kinda gone off on a tangent and answered a lot of your points putting the PS4 camera on closer ground, but that's not really my point. Kinect v2 != PS4's camera so saying these differences (except for the last one) are because one is packed in and the other is not is absurd.

Fist of all i just pointed stuff that the camera does that the ps4 camera does not this was just to prove that porting to the ps4 camera will have compromises,i also said that the kinect would have cost 300 since the windows version is being sold at that price i also stated facts not possibilities or "this is also possible if" scenarios.

Reading heartbeat from a camera is easy? Didnt know that..I tought that you actually needed alot of technology to do that then i guess the kinect will just be more accurate at that feature.

The ps4´s is being supported by a fair share of devs clearly not the most important ones i should also say that kinect tools for development are a big part of the devkits that MS is puting in the hands of indies.

PeterSilenced said:
JoeTheBro said:

PeterSilenced said:

Kinect V2 would not cost $300 if it was sold separately. The dev on Reddit (I assume this is how you got that number) later clarified he was talking about kinect development costs being on par with the console, not manufacturing costs. I do agree though that forcing a peripheral definitely helps its chances of catching on.

Porting will be an option but dont expect the same quality or depth for example i dont see ps4 doing these.

I wouldn't expect the same quality or depth either, but that's to do with the Kinect being better at some features, not because the PS4 cam isn't packed in.

-Identifying the player in split screen mode so that each has the screen of their controller

PS4 actually announced this feature before the the xbox one was even revealed. Kinect uses infrared lights on the controller to do this while PS4 uses the glowing section on the DS4. This doesn't need to use any info besides the controller's location relative to other controllers.

-Quick navigation and finding via voice (could eventually use)

PS4 already supports basic voice commands such as turning on the console and starting a game. It's not used in as many places as on xbox, but it's still there. You're kinda right about this one I guess.

-Reading heartbeat ideal for fitness or horror games

Up to devs' ability to be clever. Reading heart rate from a camera can be done with any cheap webcam and some clever programing. Don't know if Microsoft has an exclusive license to use this tech, but hardware wise it's very possible in a well light environment.

-Activating pre paid codes by just looking at it  (no longer need to input a long bar of activation codes)

I think this was also confirmed for PS4 before the xbox one was even revealed, but I'm not 100% sure. Definitely possible.

-See in the dark

Kinect wins hands down. This also accounts for it being better at a lot of things. In a well light environment, the PS4 camera matches these features almost exactly.

-6 people tracking

This is really a software thing just as much as a hardware thing. PS4 won't be doing it unless some dev dedicates a lot of resources to calculations. Also on this point, kinect v2 has MUCH better body tracking than PS4's camera.

-3rd parties have actually  shown interest in the platform -BF4 ,Kojima, that game company ,COD ,Harmonix . where is the ps4 camera support just playroom?

PS4's camera is being supported by its fair share of games. I know War-thunder for example is using it for head tracking.

Answers in BOLD

I've kinda gone off on a tangent and answered a lot of your points putting the PS4 camera on closer ground, but that's not really my point. Kinect v2 != PS4's camera so saying these differences (except for the last one) are because one is packed in and the other is not is absurd.

Fist of all i just pointed stuff that the camera does that the ps4 camera does not this was just to prove that porting to the ps4 camera will have compromises,i also said that the kinect would have cost 300 since the windows version is being sold at that price i also stated facts not possibilities or "this is also possible if" scenarios.

Reading heartbeat from a camera is easy? Didnt know that..I tought that you actually needed alot of technology to do that then i guess the kinect will just be more accurate at that feature.

The ps4´s is being supported by a fair share of devs clearly not the most important ones i should also say that kinect tools for development are a big part of the devkits that MS is puting in the hands of indies.

But most of the things you pointed out the PS4 camera can do just fine. Your cost calculation is just horribly inaccurate. The windows version(unless I'm thinking of a different sku) includes a bunch of dev tools and I believe two kinects.

Kinect's heart beat sensor will work more often than the PS4 equivalent due to lighting conditions, but it shouldn't be more accurate. The software to do this is just measuring micro changes in pixel color. Here's a video about it.

Also how do you know what Microsoft is doing as far as dev kits? Again though this really shouldn't be Kinect verse PS4 camera, it should be pack in verse no pack in.

But most of the things you pointed out the PS4 camera can do just fine. Your cost calculation is just horribly inaccurate. The windows version(unless I'm thinking of a different sku) includes a bunch of dev tools and I believe two kinects.

Kinect's heart beat sensor will work more often than the PS4 equivalent due to lighting conditions, but it shouldn't be more accurate. The software to do this is just measuring micro changes in pixel color. Here's a video about it.

Also how do you know what Microsoft is doing as far as dev kits? Again though this really shouldn't be Kinect verse PS4 camera, it should be pack in verse no pack in.

As far as dev kits they have said that their indie program will include all the tools for cloud,kinect xbox one development.

To be honest you are not giving me any choice but to compare both cameras  if its IN the games developed for it will according to you be easily ported so i am saying that porting will be an issue due to the ps4 camera being worst, the things that i pointed out that the ps4 camera can do just fine have not been announced by sony probably to avoid those *tiny letter*in the screen saying "items sold separetly".

The heartbeat in ps4 camera when it comes to horror games would be severely compromissed since no one wants to play dead space 4 in a well lit room.