By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 'Forced Camera Anti-Consumer' Says Sony

Tagged games:

Sony sending mixed messages to gamers and developers.

As a developer for ps4 what is the point of spending dev time on something noone will have? The controller which you pay for day 1 has functions removed unless you have the camera. Why not create a controller without the extra camera features?

Sony made the decision to tery and top microsoft. But loose money on the ps eye r&d. If I was a shareholder id want to know the r&d cost of ps eye plus controller r&d.

Seems like there was a lack of conviction and direction on this from sony.

Around the Network

They're right. There's no valid argument for the forced camera.

NobleTeam360 said:
NinjaHanzo said:
NobleTeam360 said:
wick said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I guess the forced camera on your phone and laptop is anti-consumer also? Lol give me a break.

Camera's were included on phones and laptops due to demand for them.

I still don't see the screaming demand for Kinect 2.0 apart from the most dedicated Microsoft followers.

Considering the fact that you don't even have to use the Kinect I don't see the problem.

Lets consider also the fact that you have to pay for it.

That's the problem.

And well... Kinect 2 isn't cheap at all.

A Xbox One without Kinect is a matter of time, mark my words.

Then just wait for a kinectless SKU or a price drop pretty simple solution.

This is what im doing and alot of my friends are as well, it will happen. 

I'm sure it's already been stated but--remember the PS3 vs 360? Fans were saying, "You had to buy a charger, HD DVD Player, Wi Fi adapter, etc. just to have that "PS3 experience" on Xbox 360". There are probably still TONS of youtube videos on the subject saying Xbox 360 costs more than PS3.

When Xbox 360 was letting consumers only pay for the parts they needed, Sony was offering everything for $500-$600. You can't just say it's okay for one side to do something and then condemn the other side for the exact same practice!

attaboy said:
I'm sure it's already been stated but--remember the PS3 vs 360? Fans were saying, "You had to buy a charger, HD DVD Player, Wi Fi adapter, etc. just to have that "PS3 experience" on Xbox 360". There are probably still TONS of youtube videos on the subject saying Xbox 360 costs more than PS3.

When Xbox 360 was letting consumers only pay for the parts they needed, Sony was offering everything for $500-$600. You can't just say it's okay for one side to do something and then condemn the other side for the exact same practice!

Just seems strange that MS didnt realise they had the right of it the 1st time, why theyve gone for Sonys PS3 launch strategy this time is weird. If your having to defend the value proposition of your product your in a bad place, its not something that should need to be explained to customers. 

Around the Network

It's all just playing on emotions, and Sony do that because it benefits them. Their fanbase laps these headlines up (in general).

Business Decisions and nothing else

Having said that, I agree that not bundling a camera is the smarter choice since it keeps the console price lower and makes it appealing to a broader audience. It's not about choice as much as it is about smart business & marketing.

On the other hand microsoft wants to make the camera an integrated part of the Xbox experience and that has its own value. If it weren't so expensive, I would agree with their business choice.

Exhibit A: The Vita

Also, if this is so anti-consumer, then why does the Vita have a built-in camera? Again, it's all about business logic, no ethics here.

selnor1983 said:
Sony sending mixed messages to gamers and developers.

As a developer for ps4 what is the point of spending dev time on something noone will have? The controller which you pay for day 1 has functions removed unless you have the camera. Why not create a controller without the extra camera features?

Sony made the decision to tery and top microsoft. But loose money on the ps eye r&d. If I was a shareholder id want to know the r&d cost of ps eye plus controller r&d.

Seems like there was a lack of conviction and direction on this from sony.

They may of lost conviction with the camera, but its quite easy to see that was based on there key audience consumers not really wanting motion games. 

Give the people what they want strategy and it seems to be working very well, im sure shareholders are extremley happy with the record breakign pre order numbers and positive press momentum PS4 is currently enjoying. 

irstupid said:

The argument just seems to be "if it isn't required for me to game, then it's anti-consumer"

Besides the DS3 could be cheaper if it removed six-axis and rumble as well, both features not needed to play games.   you could cut costs vastely if you cut out those things.  Imagine a bare bones controller.  No rumble, no six-axis, no light thing, no gyroscope, no touch pad, no whatever else controllers have these days.  I could easily play Call of Duty without any of those features.  You could buy a controller for like $10 instead of like $60, or whatever rediculous prices controller are these days.  man I used to think back when I was younger that a $30 controller was expensive.

But here is a question I would like answered cause I don't actually know, since I haven't had a disc drive in like 5 years on my computer.   Any PC gamers can you answer me this.  What kind of drive do we need these days to play/install a game on the computer?  Do I need  Blu Ray drive on my computer to play/install Battlefied 4 when it comes out?  Or can I just buy a standard DVD drive?

If not, then there's my point.  

How can PC's, which are more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, play these new games with only a DVD drive and yet ps4/one NEED a blu ray drive?

If you think thats the argument i dont know where youve been this entire time. I repeat for the millionth time no one is talking anti consumer here. Also, no one would argue that if sony, ms, or Nintendo threw in a crappy indie game without raising cost (ie something not needed to enjoy the system since A. You mmight not care for the particular and B. You can be buying the system strictly for AAA games. I mean i dont know if i even opened wii sports.) that would be anti consumer. Look, i know you guys want to come in here and make a quick jab and point but think about what you are saying

Funny how everyone hated ms for not putting HDD in 360 at launch, since HDD was not necessary for playing games. Know they have included a devices which can make experience better, how everyone attacking them again. Yet sony got praised for adding wifi in ps3 and camera in vita just funny.

so i learn *MS can never makes anyone happy no matter how much effort they put in their products*.

NSA paid Microsoft to keep the camera on the device? xD